Moving to DR

pete 1

Mar 5, 2005
Hi,
My wife and I are considering moving to Dominican Republic,to reside in the North we would like to be in an area of other expats we are in our mid 40 s.
We are looking for a house with a pool in a good safe area .
Also looking to purchase a 4 wheel drive (new or thereabouts)
We have had good reports about Sosua ( Hilltop estates)
Any info would be of help
Thanks
Peter U.K

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
A good place is Sea Horse Ranch or Casa Linda. I have rented a place at Sea Horse- very expensive but amazing. I have visited some friends at Casa Linda. It was very nice and affordable. These two are the places I would look if I were going to buy. Also, go to Moca for a car/jeep. Mario
pete 1 said:
Hi,
My wife and I are considering moving to Dominican Republic,to reside in the North we would like to be in an area of other expats we are in our mid 40 s.
Thanks
Peter U.K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, I have a different take on this

While Sos?a is all nice and fine, there is not a whole lot to do there, once the newness wears off. You have such a small, in-bred group of people. Ex-pats, of course , that are living there or working there. Some are charming, some not so charming, I suppose. Point is, you'll hardly ever encounter much of the real country.

If you live in either of the two spots, you don't need a 4x4, that is for sure.
However, the place to buy one, if you insist, is certainly Santiago or Santo Domingo.

Consider, if you live in one of the more central cities (Moca, Santiago or La VEga) you can have a varied cultural life, enjoy an enormous number of new acquaintence-both expats and Dominicans of your own intellectual stature and become members of a "community" rather than visitors on a permanent vacation. There is nothing to compare to the Centro Espa?ol on the North Coast. Nor the Centro Le?n, nor the Gran Teatro del Cibao. Plus the added benefits of being close to much better medical facilities, should the need arise.
Good housing is just as affordable. And the beaches are just a hop, skip and jump away...and the cooler mountain streams are less than an hour away.

Think about it.

HB :D:D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can I ask pete 1 why you want to be with other expats? If it is the language issue, it is not that difficult to learn Spanish. The other expats. are not the best thing about the DR........some, as HB says, are charming, some......you wouldn't be friendly with if you were still in uk, so why gravitate to them here? Remember what happened with Brit. expats in Costa Brava, Spain?

We moved out here from uk 12+ years ago, there were very few expats then & certainly no expat enclaves like there are now. In all honesty, it was nicer then. The best thing about the DR is the Dominican people, rich & poor alike. We foreigners have a lot to learn from them with regard to fortitude, stoicism & generosity of spirit.

Please give serious thought to what HB says.......the difference between Santiago, Moca, La Vega..........and Sosua, is equivalent to the difference between Oxford or Windsor and a Butlins Holiday camp somewhere on the south coast of England. ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
pete 1 said:
Hi,
Thanks
Peter U.K
You don't really need a 4 wheel drive but I would recommend a SUV which is 2 wheel since the roads are pretty rough here. There are a few other communities that haven't been mentioned depending on what you are looking to spend. Haciendas El Choco, Lomas Mironas and Villas Karabic which are all located between Sosua and Cabarete. These are all considered Hilltop. They are listed in order of most expensive to least expensive.

If you have any questions about the North Coast just ask away.

BTW, the Mountains are just as close to Sosua as to Santiago and the Beach is over an hour away if you drive fast and hard. We even have some real live Dominicans on the North Coast in spite of what some people want you to think:)

When are you planning to move here?

Hillbilly said:
While Sos?a is all nice and fine, there is not a whole lot to do there, once the newness wears off. You have such a small, in-bred group of people. Ex-pats, of course , that are living there or working there. Some are charming, some not so charming, I suppose. Point is, you'll hardly ever encounter much of the real country.

If you live in either of the two spots, you don't need a 4x4, that is for sure.
However, the place to buy one, if you insist, is certainly Santiago or Santo Domingo.

Consider, if you live in one of the more central cities (Moca, Santiago or La VEga) you can have a varied cultural life, enjoy an enormous number of new acquaintence-both expats and Dominicans of your own intellectual stature and become members of a "community" rather than visitors on a permanent vacation. There is nothing to compare to the Centro Espa?ol on the North Coast. Nor the Centro Le?n, nor the Gran Teatro del Cibao. Plus the added benefits of being close to much better medical facilities, should the need arise.
Good housing is just as affordable. And the beaches are just a hop, skip and jump away...and the cooler mountain streams are less than an hour away.

Think about it.

HB :D:D

I agree once again 100% with Hillbillys advise.
Badpiece