What To Bring To The DR

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
we (a family of 4) are planning to emigrate to the DR in the next few months.

we are bringing a 40' container. we have some very specific reasons for doing so and understand that there will be hassles and extra costs for this. many of you will have the satisfaction of saying "i told you so" when things go awry but we haven't any choice in the matter.

a poll for recent emigres:

items you are glad you brought with you.

items you really wished you had thought of.

items that proved to be a waste of container space.

thanks,

Gregg

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Gregg said:
we (a family of 4) are planning to emigrate to the DR in the next few months.

we are bringing a 40' container. we have some very specific reasons for doing so and understand that there will be hassles and extra costs for this. many of you will have the satisfaction of saying "i told you so" when things go awry but we haven't any choice in the matter.

a poll for recent emigres:

items you are glad you brought with you.

items you really wished you had thought of.

items that proved to be a waste of container space.

thanks,

Gregg
You don't wanna know how many containers I brought into the DR. Yes, it has its upsides and downsides.

Stuff I didn't need: Furniture-I can get the same or better made in Santiago.
Stuff I needed: Wine-much more which would be much better.
Wasteful items: Kitchen gadgets & bedding-can get all of it on the island.

After 5 containers I learned a lot!

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Container

Bring everything you currently need or think you may need.

Search the archives or recent threads here for clues as to what is expensive here (appliances/electronics/some furniture etc) or difficult to find here. (I bought in some Italian marble tiles)

Yes there will be cost but you already know that.

The only thing I don't need here is my snowboard ;)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
gjsuk said:

Search the archives or recent threads here for clues as to what is expensive here (appliances/electronics/some furniture etc) or difficult to find here. (I bought in some Italian marble tiles)

Yes there will be cost but you already know that.

The only thing I don't need here is my snowboard ;)
Something to seriously remember, however, is the potential maintenance you may have to perform on something you bring in. For example, a super nice Weber Grill would be good to have--but where would you get any replacement parts?

When you think of putting something into the container, think about what it takes to maintain it.

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
:)

Now that you mention it. I was relieved to have brought a rain suit and boots ----- it is really mucky here when it rains. I was also brought inflatable air matteress that have come in handy for guests. Microwaves and George Formans are ridiculously expensive here hmmmmmm what else.... oh and antibacterial wet wipes

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
I'll Bet...

TorontoBlonde said:
Now that you mention it. I was relieved to have brought a rain suit and boots ----- it is really mucky here when it rains. I was also brought inflatable air matteress that have come in handy for guests. Microwaves and George Formans are ridiculously expensive here hmmmmmm what else.... oh and antibacterial wet wipes

that you look really hot in your little rain suit and boots.hehe

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
hehehehehe thanks

If you are looking to live here I would also bring kitchen stuff. I brought a vegtable slicer that comes in really handy for my home made banana bread!!

gringito said:
that you look really hot in your little rain suit and boots.hehe

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
To bring or not to bring?

That really is the question, Gregg!!

How about some Karaoke equipment? hee.

When will you be packing up? I will start to make a list because I've had to look for some oddball things here and I'm always amazed at the unexpected finds and failed-to-finds.

For instance, I was surprised to see certain hardware store items, but they're often the 'dollar store variety', the losers from America, ie. don't quite work right, cheaply made, etc.

Or, try and find an electric kettle, or salad spinner... haven't been able to find either anywhere. You'd laugh at how many people told me 'they used to have' those salad spinners, but not the day I was looking. One store told me they never know what they're going to get in from ... somewhere, and when they're gone they're gone. I know you plan on bringing in a full kitchen. and good for you, because many necessary gadgets simply aren't top quality, even when you do find them.

How about wood dowelling? Haven't seen it anywhere yet.

Or... try finding a propane torch. I have only found the separate cannisters with very expensive welding tips, but not the regular workhorse torch with automatic starter. Wait, I finally found one non-automatic torch with the ordinary tip in what was called an Ace Hardware in Santo Domingo, but it was equivalent to $50 US... so I reluctantly put it back. Not paying $50 for what would cost $20 Can.

On bedding... sheet quality is so much better in US, same with towels, etc. I know we don't have the selection/price in Canada, but if you can zip into US for these items before packing, you'll be glad you did.

Silicone caulking is 160-200 pesos a 10.1 oz tube. It is half this price in US.

I can't quite remember the details of your wife's work, but if she needs methyl hydrate to fire an alcohol burner, you better bring it in... I still haven't found it anywhere. I finally got hold of some isopropyl alchohol, only it wouldn't burn (possibly mislabeled, or impure), so I'm still trying to set fire to my little alcohol burners.

(not sure how a solvent will fare for importation... through another shipper there is a special fee/penalty for handling hazardous goods of $100)

I'm going to try and think of the weird things, because I never fail to be amazed by the finds and failed-to-finds. It's like a Christmas list, when I still did Christmas... in July I had no problem making a wish list, but by December I always drew a blank.

PS... hey, I'd like to build a master list of hard-to-find items, even see if the radio station here is Sosua would consider a regular program whereby people can call in with requests and solutions. In principle, a master list sounds good, but as one wise man pointed out, "you may find it someplace sometime, and never again". Too true. :)

Good luck with the move, and see you soon.

Signed,
Dawnwil be searching forever for stuff

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen carefully!!

Whatever do you, DO NOT FORGET TO BRING UMBRELLAS, GOOD ONES AND LOTS OF THEM!!!!.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
dawnwil...

salad spinner - I'll go get you one tomorrow. Any particular color?

You want a kettle as well?

Good bed sheets and towels are no problem, just expensive :)

Methyl Hydrate, I think it's only Canadians that call it that.
Doesn't rest of the world call it Methylated spirit, here in the DR I think they call it "alcohol de quemar"? I don't think they put in methyl violet here, so it would be clear.
Try the cooking supply shops, they use it here in fondue pots.

If you want to bring in hazardous chemicals, let me know.
I have a friend that brings in a container from Miami pretty much weekly.
They bring in solvents and inks. I'm sure they could help you out if it's more than a couple of liters.

Why don't you order the torch online and just buy the propane cannisters locally?
EPS charge RD$115/lb to bring in stuff from Miami.
I guess it would not weigh more than 2lb and you could have it here in week.

You can find most things here, just need to know where/how and have deeper pockets than if shopping in the USA or Canada.

I guess you'll be sending me a list, hahahaha....

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
advice has shifted over last 18 months

gjsuk said:

Search the archives or recent threads here for clues as to what is expensive here [...] The only thing I don't need here is my snowboard ;)

thanks for the response. i am going to bring my showshoes though! just can't give them up but they're the old wooden and gut style that looks funky up on the wall.

i have been researching on this forum for almost a year. the reason i put up this post is that much advice is contradictory. much of that stems from the shift in exchange rates (i think). on one hand some say to sell it all and buy everything here. on the other hand, everyone seems to be bitching about the prices, quality and availability of many items.

if you are an empty nester couple in your early 60's, living in some generic 2-bedroom condo in the southern U.S., then it makes sense to ditch much of it. but i simply can't see selling everything at $.10 on the dollar and then spending the next 18 months re-buying everything in the DR at a premium. BTW, i also can't afford it!!

i do NOT enjoy shopping. as well, the kids really need to have some familiar items with them.

i do believe that just renting someone else's furnished condo and only bringing a suitcase contributes to some familys' failure to enjoy the DR. they are not grounded or, in a sense, committed to the move. for us, having a full kitchen and cooking is what makes a home. our family revolves around food and cooking...try that with some crappy aluminum pots and pans and a few odd pieces..

this is why i try to say emigrate rather than just move. we plan to be a part of our new community and the country. of course, if things do not work out we will have more complexity and cost to return to Canada. i suppose we are risking more with the hope that the upside will be better than the downside.

however, as i posted we do have some other valid reasons for the container and, pardon the pun, but it is a sunk cost once you decide to follow that route.

we'll all have to compare notes here once we have run the gauntlet.

Gregg

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
ah, yes

Castellamonte said:
Something to seriously remember, however, is the potential maintenance you may have to perform on something you bring in. For example, a super nice Weber Grill would be good to have--but where would you get any replacement parts?

When you think of putting something into the container, think about what it takes to maintain it.

VERY, VERY good point. will have to really review some of the items...

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
dawnwil said:
That really is the question, Gregg!! [..] How about some Karaoke equipment? hee. [...]

Signed,
Dawnwil be searching forever for stuff

i think the karaoke equipment idea might put you in the category of Dr. Frankenstein. even i am a bit frightened of the idea of me invading Sosua with my new-found "talent". besides, my teenage daughter already wants to disown me...this would embarass her to no end LOL!!!
Jo Anne really appreciated your post...especially from a working artist's point of view.

DR1...worth its weight in gold. thanks to everyone so far.

Gregg

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Gregg said:
thanks for the response. i am going to bring my showshoes though! just can't give them up but they're the old wooden and gut style that looks funky up on the wall.

i have been researching on this forum for almost a year. the reason i put up this post is that much advice is contradictory. much of that stems from the shift in exchange rates (i think). on one hand some say to sell it all and buy everything here. on the other hand, everyone seems to be bitching about the prices, quality and availability of many items.

if you are an empty nester couple in your early 60's, living in some generic 2-bedroom condo in the southern U.S., then it makes sense to ditch much of it. but i simply can't see selling everything at $.10 on the dollar and then spending the next 18 months re-buying everything in the DR at a premium. BTW, i also can't afford it!!

i do NOT enjoy shopping. as well, the kids really need to have some familiar items with them.

i do believe that just renting someone else's furnished condo and only bringing a suitcase contributes to some familys' failure to enjoy the DR. they are not grounded or, in a sense, committed to the move. for us, having a full kitchen and cooking is what makes a home. our family revolves around food and cooking...try that with some crappy aluminum pots and pans and a few odd pieces..

this is why i try to say emigrate rather than just move. we plan to be a part of our new community and the country. of course, if things do not work out we will have more complexity and cost to return to Canada. i suppose we are risking more with the hope that the upside will be better than the downside.

however, as i posted we do have some other valid reasons for the container and, pardon the pun, but it is a sunk cost once you decide to follow that route.

we'll all have to compare notes here once we have run the gauntlet.

Gregg

Did I have too many beers and post under a wrong name! :bandit:

Our situation here is very similiar, especially the family unit bit and cooking :).

Trying to sift through the differing opinions as well regarding "must ship" items.

The varied opinions are quite helpfull, thank goodness not everyone thinks the same!

Ian

Last edited:

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
and don't forget to pack a high quality blender with 2 jars for Strawberry Daiquiris and mango shakes....

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Replacement parts

Castellamonte said:

Yes you are quite correct something will always break, but it is no biggie really.

I also brought in a Viking stove and a Jenn-Air grill. (Find those here please! Actually I forgot a dealer quoted me over 350,000 pesos for the Viking stove...over 10 large for a 3 grand appliance)

If I need parts I will order them online (like I would probably do in the States) and get them shipped either direct via Fedex or EPS. Or pop over to Miami or NY and pick em up myself. No problem.

I would rather have some quality stuff around me rather than a local product that I know has a limited life-span.

Oh and the missus packed the bloody karaoke player!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gjsuk said:
Yes you are quite correct something will always break, but it is no biggie really.

I also brought in a Viking stove and a Jenn-Air grill. (Find those here please! Actually I forgot a dealer quoted me over 350,000 pesos for the Viking stove...over 10 large for a 3 grand appliance)

If I need parts I will order them online (like I would probably do in the States) and get them shipped either direct via Fedex or EPS. Or pop over to Miami or NY and pick em up myself. No problem.

I would rather have some quality stuff around me rather than a local product that I know has a limited life-span.

Oh and the missus packed the bloody karaoke player!!!!
Heh, do you do a duet with my buddy Paul? LOL

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Yes, Virginia, there really is a...

Santa Claus?

Robert said:
dawnwil...

I guess you'll be sending me a list, hahahaha....

The list weighed 20 pounds, give or take an ounce, and I couldn't afford the EPS. Same with clay, wax, etc that costs 2.00/lb ... oh, plus 4.00 a pound for the damn shipping. I guess you really do live at the North Pole, not much oxygen there??

:)

Hey, Rob, in all seriousness, a couple of days ago I was again researching that bloody Methyl Whatever online somewhere, and I saw a reference to fondue fuel. THere's a Swiss restaurant in town here, the one with the blue cow, so I'm going to ask, beg, whatever it takes.

Thanks for the Spanish name, that helps tremendously. I've bought several substances with suspiciously close names, but they won't light. Maybe it's just this country. No luz is no luz.

Thanks a million for the other thoughts too. I had called a big chem company in SD, but they don't carry some of the solvents on my wish list. The one, called Xilino in Spanish, apparently is used in the making of bombs, so it might be dicey getting it here.

About the bedding-- there is high quality bedding in Canada too, but not as fine as 'high quality' in US, and much more costly as well.

When can I have my salad spinner? ... the maid is costing a fortune in paper towels.

Thanks Nicholas!

dawnwilbelievesinSantanow

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Contact lens cleaner

There you have it, Gregg.

Bring it in, lots and lots. The cost here is outrageous... 900 pesos or more for the 355 ml bottle, or $30... can be found at discount superstores for $8 for a slightly bigger bottle.

It's possible the price has adjusted down, but I wouldn't know as I keep it coming from the US.

I expect there are so many items like this... but I'm drawing a blank.

Oh! Vitamins, good quality... GNC in Santiago/SD is about only option here. Some are expensive, other specialty ones cannot be found at GNC.