Two new arrivals to DR

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
After visiting DR several times and reading this message board a lot we did the move.
About one month ago my wife and I came here from Canada.
Our Cedula was not difficult to get, thanks to the friendly and professional help of Graciela Fermin (thank you for recommending her Scott). His husband was waiting for us at the airport and they helped us a lot when we arrived, bringing us to Santo Domingo two times to get the Cedula.

Getting a good and not expensive place to live was not easy.
The first place we got was a slum in front of the "Rancheta Alexia", near Plaza Turisol, in Puerto Plata.
Diane Pellerin (who at first sight seemed a nice person) rented it to us for $ 6000 plus $ 1000 for water and electricity bills.
After some weeks there we decided to move out for good.
Using some of our newly acquired Dominican relations we got a nice three bedroom department on the Malecon (unfurnished) for about the same money that we paid to Diane for her slum.

The second day I was here I looked for a wireless Flash 3G Internet connection, but I didn?t imagined it was going to be so hard to get it.
Three weeks later, after half a dozen unsuccessful visits to the Verizon store in Puerto Plata I realized that they were not going to get the connection cable for connecting the phone and my notebook ever, so I had to travel to Santiago to get the cable by myself.
Things were not very fast in the Verizon store in Santiago; since the cable was not properly catalogued in their systems and I had to wait several hours to get it.
But finally I got my wireless Internet connection working.

Other milestone was finding cheap land, at Dominican prices. After trying the Puerto Plata real state business :bandit: we found a Dominican friend who helped us to find real state by proxy and finally we got our finca in Maimon.

We still have ahead of us many tasks:
Fishing out our stuff (including our truck) from the Aduana is the next one. After I finish it I will tell here how things were.

Other difficult task is building our house. After speaking with many "ingenieros" I developed an allergic reaction to these blood suckers and decided to use they only for drawing the housing plan but build using a "Maestro", since I found a good one who is not trying to put his hands in my pocket too deep.

Spanish is my first language, so please ignore any mistakes in this message.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey, welcome. I would love to see your finca! I have been landscaping and planting on a piece of property I plan on building on for a year and have had nice crops already for my eating pleasure.

Welcome and keep us informed about how you are doing. If there is anything further that you need give me a call at 223-1178. Would be happy to help if I can.

Regards,
Scott

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Thank you Scott, we plan to put lot of frutals and cocoteros in our finca.
I'm sure you can get lot of good food from the land here, my wife is an avid gardener so that will be no problem.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Good choice on the lawyer. Graciela is my lawyer also, although have not needed her for a few years, I have to say she was the only lawyer I met who spoke frankly, told me how it is, and when I had a business partner from hell was honest on the situation.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree about Graciela

Agree about Graciela, I had experience of her as well and she is my lawyer too, always honest, direct and tell as it really is. Great person and very professional lawyer.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Carina,

Aguayo said:
Diane Pellerin (who at first sight seemed a nice person) rented it to us for $ 6000 plus $ 1000 for water and electricity bills.
After some weeks there we decided to move out for good.
I am quite certain Wud means Diane.

Gregg

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ok.. I got a little surprised, because the times I have had to do with Graciela, for residency, setting up business etc she has been very professional, very honest with time schedules, laws, costs... always in time etc etc.
I am very pleased with her.. ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was the very first guy ever on Dr1 to introduce graciela fermin to dr1 community. Do I get to win anything?
She did my residency in 1998 and I was very please with her services.
Is she still a deputada?
AZB

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
AZB said:
I was the very first guy ever on Dr1 to introduce graciela fermin to dr1 community. Do I get to win anything?
She did my residency in 1998 and I was very please with her services.
Is she still a deputada?
AZB

Yes, absolutely. Respect, and a thank you.

To suggest a lawyer to someone is a serious advice, and you have taken it that way by introducing Graciela, in my opinion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Enhorabuena! Welcome

I, too, would love to walk that property in Maim?n. You can probably produce over half of your caloric intake.

Since I have farmed here for nearly 40 years, perhaps I can help[ you with a few choices. Feel free ask me or use my experiences to do what you think is best.

HB :D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I, too, would love to walk that property in Maim?n. You can probably produce over half of your caloric intake.

Since I have farmed here for nearly 40 years, perhaps I can help[ you with a few choices. Feel free ask me or use my experiences to do what you think is best.

Hey Luis, what have you grown? Would love to hear about your experiences. I grow a lot of stuff on my building lot in Cabarete. Been eating off of it for quite a while and really enjoying it.

Scott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
Hey Luis, what have you grown? Would love to hear about your experiences. I grow a lot of stuff on my building lot in Cabarete. Been eating off of it for quite a while and really enjoying it.

Scott

Tobacco Escott! and a few bananas and a few frutas and so on... ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Tobacco Escott! and a few bananas and a few frutas and so on... ;)
No Tobacco because I hate it. Banana trees, Yuca, Orange, Grapefruit, Limon, papaya, Mango, Millions of Beans, black, red, pinto and blanco, corn, 3 types of batata, Noni, 4 types of squash, peas, many different string beans, 4 types of tomatoes, Hot pepper, cold pepper, inbetween peppers, onions, scallions, coconuts by the millions, and much much more! Hell I even bought 2 goats to impress Mainegirl.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On a commercial level

Bananas and plaintains, yuca, batata, grain sorghum, chick peas, tomatoes, squash and onions. Oh yeah, rice, too.

On family scale: corn, all the veggies you can think of and then a few.

Currently we are exploring some organic stuff: limes, bananas, , some bee hives...not going yet, but in planning stages. Bees are incredible. 11 boxes should give you at least 55+ gallons of honey per year...

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
americanized said:
So Aguayo, did you get your stuff out of aduana? how did it go?

I'm just working on that.
Yesterday (April 5) I was all day in Puerto Caucedo with my custom's broker, tomorrow I have to go again to the "Direcci?n" (I guess the complete name is "Direcci?n de Aduana") in Sto. Domingo.
At least yesterday I could drive my F150 pickup for a while (may be 20 meters...) when I had to climb over the pickup and enter its cabin to take it out of the container...
Still it has all its parts intact, not wheels or motor missing :)-
I will post more news when I get it, including cost (over and under the top) and time.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Escott said:
No Tobacco because I hate it. Banana trees, Yuca, Orange, Grapefruit, Limon, papaya, Mango, Millions of Beans, black, red, pinto and blanco, corn, 3 types of batata, Noni, 4 types of squash, peas, many different string beans, 4 types of tomatoes, Hot pepper, cold pepper, inbetween peppers, onions, scallions, coconuts by the millions, and much much more! Hell I even bought 2 goats to impress Mainegirl.
Now all you need to do is build you a little lake if you don't have any,
throw a couple trouts and a handfull of shrimps and you will be set.