Hello DR, Finland is calling

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Since I just visited DR for the first time (only 3 weeks), I wonder does anyone from Finland live there -running business, hotel or whatsoever-
DOES ANYONE KNOW??
I am from a cold Northern country (where still no icebears running on the streets) and I have to admit that I falled in a little in love to DR .....

Last edited:

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
finlandaise said:
Since I just visited DR for the first time (only 3 weeks), I wonder does anyone from Finland live there -running business, hotel or whatsoever-
DOES ANYONE KNOW??
I am from a cold Northern country (where still no icebears running on the streets) and I have to admit that I falled a little in love to DR .....
I suppose by "icebears" you mean polarbears...

As for your question, I do not know, guess I would have noticed, having visited the DR a zillion times and coming from one of Finland's neighbor countries and having a Finnish (of the Swedish spoken minority) sister-in-law...

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Let's use the term "Scandinavians"

finlandaise said:
DOES ANYONE KNOW??
I am from a cold Northern country (where still no icebears running on the streets) and I have to admit that I falled a little in love to DR .....

Hyv?? Huomenta!

I think it is better we speak about Scandinavians in DR!

There are a few Danes and some odd Norwegian scattered about. Swedes and Finns, I am not sure about these days.

As for me, I come from Sweden. My mum was Swedish and my dad came from Finland (Jakobstad).

I am a frequent visitor to DR since a few years back. I nurture the evasive dream of one day relocating there, but alas, it seems to remain nothing but a dream...

Well, even if Finland can be cold in winter (and also sometimes in summer..) at least that is where Santa Claus lives!

So you are a woman, huh? Hm...

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Why not Ice Beer !!! Mmmmmm!!!!

Paulino said:

Personally, I think "icebear" is a better word! Sort of describes the animal in a more... tangible?... way!

Or maybe "ice beer" as a friend of mine says... I wonder what "polar beer" would taste like?

For all you non-Scandinavians, "icebear" is an easily made mistake, as the Swedish word is "isbj?rn", where "is" = "ice" and "bj?rn" = "bear" .

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Tervetuloa!

finlandaise said:
DOES ANYONE KNOW??

Tervetuloa mukaan, finlandaise!

Nice to see someone else from Finland is joining the board. There are very few of us on this board.

I don't live in the D.R. (yet), although in my mind I live there. It is easy "fall in love" with the D.R.

On a Finnish message board someone recently mentioned a Finnish woman, who is working at a bar/restaurant in Sosua, but that is all I know about Finns living there.

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Paulino said:

As for your question, I do not know, guess I would have noticed, having visited the DR a zillion times and coming from one of Finland's neighbor countries and having a Finnish (of the Swedish spoken minority) sister-in-law...

Those people who read my message understood which kind of bear I meant, I translated the j?? as it is, I don?t know what j??karhu is in English neither I didn`t found it from my dictionary.
Anyway j??karhu was a joke because I know most of people who live enough faraway doesn`know Finland at all .
So for the people who do have any suspicion of the walkingstreet-icebears in Finland: we don?t have them!

Last edited:

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Voyager said:
Personally, I think "icebear" is a better word! Sort of describes the animal in a more... tangible?... way!

Or maybe "ice beer" as a friend of mine says... I wonder what "polar beer" would taste like?

For all you non-Scandinavians, "icebear" is an easily made mistake, as the Swedish word is "isbj?rn", where "is" = "ice" and "bj?rn" = "bear" .

My friend I tell you, before you?ll have even think about eating it, it has already eaten you.... if it hasn`t get his meal ( "hylje" is it`s favourite food).
Watch out when you go to North pole!

Last edited:

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Voyager said:

My friend I tell you, before you?ll had even thinked about eating it, it has already eaten you.... if it hasn`t get his meal ( "hylje" is it`s favourite food)
!! Watch out when you go to North pole!

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
finlandaise said:
Those people who read my message understood which kind of bear I meant, I translatied the j?? as it is, I don?t know what j??karhu is in English neither I didn`t found it from my dictionary.
Anyway j??karhu was a joke because I know most of people who live enough faraway doesn`know Finland at all.

Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to. Of course they understood, perhaps with a hint of a smile on their lips. It is such a classic mistake we Scandinavians - obviously including Finns - make, so I couldn't resist making a remark. And that joke about polar bears in the streets is common knowledge where I come from as well.

At least now you know the proper word in English, and that can't be all bad, can it?

And now for some Spanish - to maintain a certain Dominican flavor in my post: I believe the word for j??karhu would be - umm - oso polar? (and not oso de hielo, for sure... just kidding - again) - O, tal vez - Oso Presidente?? (gotta be ice cold!!)

Last edited:

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Chareena said:
Tervetuloa mukaan, finlandaise!

Nice to see someone else from Finland is joining the board. There are very few of us on this board.

I don't live in the D.R. (yet), although in my mind I live there. It is easy "fall in love" with the D.R.

On a Finnish message board someone recently mentioned a Finnish woman, who is working at a bar/restaurant in Sosua, but that is all I know about Finns living there.

Terve Chareena,

Somebody mentions Timo?s name on board :" ask Timo"; where somebody was asking questions about hotels and rooms where to stay.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
finlandaise said:
My friend I tell you, before you?ll had even thinked about eating it, it has already eaten you.... if it hasn`t get his meal ( "hylje" is it`s favourite food)
!! Watch out when you go to North pole!

Huh? Who talked about eating it? Anyway, I am vegetarian...

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Paulino said:
Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to. Of course they understood, perhaps with a hint of a smile on their lips. It is such a classic mistake we Scandinavians - obviously including Finns - make, so I couldn't resist making a remark. And that joke about polar bears in the streets is common knowledge where I come from as well.

At least now you know the proper word in English, and that can't be all bad, can it?

And now for some Spanish - to maintain a certain Dominican flavor in my post: I believe the word for j??karhu would be - umm - oso polar? (and not oso de hielo, for sure... just kidding - again) - O, tal vez - Oso Presidente?? (gotta be ice cold!!)

Polarbear ; bueno per me, gracias amigo!

Firefan

Feb 17, 2005
Welcome

Another Scandinavien here. Just moved here a few months ago. Working with business in Santo Domingo. Cheers! FF

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Paulino said:

Hola Paulino,
I have to tell you this story JUST because I belong to Finnish spoken Minority.
I was walking along a street in Sosua with my friends,a Canadian couple.They were also visitors, they have been staying there for two months at Hotel Nuevo Mundo where were lots of Frencies? ( as I found).
Anyway we were walking and trying to find a special place and we stopped to ask it to some corner where they sell magazines and videos.
One guy asked me (when he heard where I was coming from) in Finnish
" Mit? Kuuluu?"
Raise your head all Minoritys!!

finlandaise

Mar 7, 2005
Firefan said:
Another Scandinavien here. Just moved here a few months ago. Working with business in Santo Domingo. Cheers! FF

Hola, hola ! Hello!Terve!Hej?

If my curiosity is allowable, what is the business your are working with?
I am not living in DR....yet?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Puerto Plata there is at least 4 Swedish families living permanently. There is also a few from Denmark that I know of.
From Finland, have no idea, exept 1 man who lives here around 6 - 8 months a year and ownes a house in Bayardo area.
I guess, in the end, the nationality really doesnt matter over here.. At least I hear very rarely someone asking where I come from, or if I have "gringo" friends around me.. same.. not a very common question from anyone..

bebeto007

Mar 22, 2008
Hello, I am a Finn building a house in Playa Laguna (Sosua). What is the status of Finnish population nowadays? Anyone else having property or living in Sosua?

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Hello, I am a Finn building a house in Playa Laguna (Sosua). What is the status of Finnish population nowadays? Anyone else having property or living in Sosua?

This is a v?ry old thread. I'm from Finland, too. I think we have met on the breach in Sosua. At the stall no. 36. Jose?s place.
Olen iloinen jos l?het?t minulle pm:ej?. Olisi hauska kuulla teist? ja mit? taloprojektillenne kuuluu. Aiomme pysytell? t??ll? jatkossakin. Ainakin talvisin.