Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default if someone knows, please...

i'm considering to come and live in DR. Now, i saw on the official site that it takes only a few steps to get a permanenet residence over there.How they say over there, it just looks too good to be true. So i'm asking if anyone knows is it really possible to get dominican residence and if it is, what are the chanses to start some small bussines of your own, such as some small coffee bar or something like that, and would it be a good investment? I'm not planing to get rich over there of course, but to live a decent moderate life.
    thanks in advance...
    salute

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Post the websites link, we will soon tell you.

But first I would read this website inside out, it answers pretty much 99% of the questions you have and have yet to think of.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, but i would appriciate a personal opinion from someone who is familiar with this issue.

thanks...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you been to the DR? This is not a fantasy island. Many of the simple things here can become the most difficult. I just suggest you come and hangout for a month or so before actually making a major move.

I tried it out for 3 weeks once. I ran screaming to airport. The plane simply couldnt take off fast enough. I re-grouped (mentallly) and then tried it again.
    TEHAMA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEHAMA
    Have you been to the DR? This is not a fantasy island. Many of the simple things here can become the most difficult. I just suggest you come and hangout for a month or so before actually making a major move.

I tried it out for 3 weeks once. I ran screaming to airport. The plane simply couldnt take off fast enough. I re-grouped (mentallly) and then tried it again.
    TEHAMA
    i have never been there, and i suppose it is so like you say. Thats why i put this thread, to get a little informed before i come.I'm planing to visit DR on the summer for a couple of weeks and see how the thing are going over there. But anyway, i thought, a few informations from expirienced people could not hurt.
    thanks...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not difficult to get residency, especially if you have the help of a good attorney. Just be sure that he doesn't get one through the back door because then when you go to renew you will find you must start all over.

But post the link so we can see what it says.

You can start a business; many people do. Whether it will be a good investment depends on many factors. Best to spend some time get acquainted with the area you are interested in and its needs before you make the investment.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lodestar
    i have never been there, and i suppose it is so like you say. Thats why i put this thread, to get a little informed before i come.I'm planing to visit DR on the summer for a couple of weeks and see how the thing are going over there. But anyway, i thought, a few informations from expirienced people could not hurt.
    thanks...
    You have never been here but plan on moving and going into business here? Thats silly. Why even consider a place you have never been to?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Escott
    You have never been here but plan on moving and going into business here? Thats silly. Why even consider a place you have never been to?
    you should see where i live now and it would be all clear to you. beside, who doesnt like palms and the see.. another reason: i'm from serbia&montenegro, and i need visa for 99% of the world. (you assume that DR is in the other 1%). anyway, its not about money(i live here a decent life), its just about changing the inviroment from the cold somber to nice and sunny...
    simple as that
    salute

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And beside, why is then DR1 site encouraging people to visit the dom rep. and even consider it their second home? id read it, i liked it and id like to try...
    why not? even if i have never been there, i guess it cant be that worse?! i found DR very attractive...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lodestar
    And beside, why is then DR1 site encouraging people to visit the dom rep. and even consider it their second home? id read it, i liked it and id like to try...
    why not? even if i have never been there, i guess it cant be that worse?! i found DR very attractive...
    What people are trying to say is the DR is great place for a vacation. It is also a great place to retire. But to start a business and move to the DR, is very, very difficult with many obstacles. I know of many people that have moved here with there life savings started a business and lost everything. Then they are forced to go back to their homeland and start again. Business here is not conducted in the same manner as the US/Canada/Western Europe. Although I have no first hand knowledge of Serbia & Montenegro I think business there may be similar to here; very cutthroat unless you have connections and know the lay of the land.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to make a few trips before you take the plunge. You should be able to learn a lot on one extended trip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast