Driver's license - Anyone recently aquire one?

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Hello,

Anyone recently aquire a driver's license in Santo Domingo?

I need to get mine and so do some friends of mine, a couple do not speak spanish... and heard that there is no translator offered. Please advise, if you can... Starting with a Canadian license and moving through the steps...

Thanks!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
You can get your International Driver's License here and then, when down in the D.R., as is convenient, convert to D.R. License. International Driver's licenses are good for a year and you can get one at any CAA office.

Just a suggestion!

Good luck!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
rendul said:
You can get your International Driver's License here and then, when down in the D.R., as is convenient, convert to D.R. License. International Driver's licenses are good for a year and you can get one at any CAA office.

Just a suggestion!

Good luck!
Unfortunately, and with all due respect, ALL OUTSIDE LICENCES INCLUDING "INTERNATIONAL LICENCES" BECOME INVALID AFTER 90 DAYS. If you are in an accident on the 91st day, your insurance company will not pay. This is true in the US, Canada etc. We are presently getting our licences here legally. We have so far obtained our provisional one after eye tests, blood tests and theory exam. In 45 days we can return for our practical exam and this will give us a Drivers' Licence. I will not burden you with writing about the 6 hour wait etc etc. Good luck, Canadian Bob.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Driver's License

canadian bob:

Here is a quote from CAA:

International Driving Permits

CAA is the sole issuer of the International Driving Permit (IDP) within Canada. It's a special licence allowing tourists holding a valid Canadian driving license to drive in foreign countries without application or tests. Canadians may apply at any CAA office for an IDP, which is valid for one year from the date of issue.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
rendul said:
canadian bob:

Here is a quote from CAA:

International Driving Permits

CAA is the sole issuer of the International Driving Permit (IDP) within Canada. It's a special licence allowing tourists holding a valid Canadian driving license to drive in foreign countries without application or tests. Canadians may apply at any CAA office for an IDP, which is valid for one year from the date of issue.
Hi Rendul! My insurance agent is emphatic that after 90 days, the only drivers licence that counts in the DR is a Dominican one. I specifically asked about the International one and I was told it is also invalid after 90 days. If you can get a written statement otherwise from your agency you are one up on me!! Cheers, Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
rendul said:
canadian bob

Your agent is wrong. Call CAA for yourself!!!
Rendul, I don't want to flog a dead horse, but CAA has no jurisdiction in the DR after 90 days. Remember, the ins. co. operates in the DR. They will say anything to get your premium, but will not pay out after 90 consecutive days here unless you have a Dominican licence. If you still insist I'm wrong, please give me the name of your Dominican ins. co. who WILL pay. Thanks! Canadian Bob.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
In 1949 the D.R. signed with the UN on International Drivers Licenses. Read it for yourself. The insurance you get separately. Comprende!! Your agent is still wrong!! I personally have used this license around the world and in the D.R. and have been stopped and cleared. The D.R. does answer to the UN on some issues!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
::Whip in hand:: flog Flog

If you are going to be here for 91 days you have time enough to get the Dr piece of paper. Generally speaking-very generally-with the PLD in power, there is less hassle to get the paperwork done.

Should be pretty easy.

HB :D

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
DR License w/o Cedula????????

Hillbilly said:
If you are going to be here for 91 days you have time enough to get the Dr piece of paper.

Should be pretty easy.

HB :D

There seems to be something of a disconnect here. Will someone please clarify as to whether or not one can acquire a license without first having a cedula???
If the cedula is required, I don't see anything in the process that qualifies as "pretty easy". Futher, for many people who spend intermitent periods of time here over the years, but have not (yet) committed to the "burning of the bridges" in their native land associated with becoming a "lifer" (as I refer to the full-timers", aka ex-pats), I think the suggestion that it is "pretty easy" to obtain a license here is less then completely honest. The posts in this very forum suggest otherwise.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buzzard said:
There seems to be something of a disconnect here. Will someone please clarify as to whether or not one can acquire a license without first having a cedula???
If the cedula is required, I don't see anything in the process that qualifies as "pretty easy". Futher, for many people who spend intermitent periods of time here over the years, but have not (yet) committed to the "burning of the bridges" in their native land associated with becoming a "lifer" (as I refer to the full-timers", aka ex-pats), I think the suggestion that it is "pretty easy" to obtain a license here is less then completely honest. The posts in this very forum suggest otherwise.

To obtain a Dominican driving license you need a Dominican cedula.
To obtain a cedula you need to be a resident.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bob, say you get your insurance...90 days later you leave the country and then return. Now you are back in the country and legal for 90 more days. Is your insurance valid for this second period??????????

canadian bob said:
Hi Rendul! My insurance agent is emphatic that after 90 days, the only drivers licence that counts in the DR is a Dominican one. I specifically asked about the International one and I was told it is also invalid after 90 days. If you can get a written statement otherwise from your agency you are one up on me!! Cheers, Canadian Bob.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Snuffy said:
Bob, say you get your insurance...90 days later you leave the country and then return. Now you are back in the country and legal for 90 more days. Is your insurance valid for this second period??????????

Tourist Visa is only good for 15 days.
You need to go to immigration if you want to legally extend your stay beyond 15 days.

As long as you are in the country legally, then I would assume your insurance would be valid.

When you have an accident and report it at the police station, the police take a photo copy of your passport showing it's entry stamp.

A few years ago before I had my residency and Dominican drivers license, they did this when I reported an accident. This was when we had 90 day tourist visas, I was coming to the end of the 90 days and they had a laugh about how I avoided jail by a few days.