Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Night watchman (sereno) costs

I just hired a "sereno" (night watchman from 6 to 7) for $ 5000 pesos a month to guard the construction materials in my place.
    I'm not sure if I'm paying the right price.
    If some of you has a better idea about watchman prices please post your mind.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think it is high...............

Quote Originally Posted by Aguayo
    I just hired a "sereno" (night watchman from 6 to 7) for $ 5000 pesos a month to guard the construction materials in my place.
    I'm not sure if I'm paying the right price.
    If some of you has a better idea about watchman prices please post your mind.

Mine are paid (and the others in my area.......private not companies) $1000. per week and THAT IS TOO HIGH. It was adjusted up from $750. per week when the dollar jumped to 50. Now that it's done, you can't take it back. I still know of two of my friends whose are still at the $1500. per two weeks. We live in Costambar, POP

WE (meaning myself and friends in the area that "run" our households the same) also supply them with "uniforms", shoes and hats so that they look like company guards. NO GUNS, just machete's and flashlights. AND they are all Haitian, not Dominican.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Night watchman here is paid $5000. He is dominican and works 6 nights per week. Santiago.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    Night watchman here is paid $5000. He is dominican and works 6 nights per week. Santiago.
    Mine are about the same, a little more,...but they are guarding a very complete house with people in it. Guarding building materials, when I was building a little finca recently, was closer to RD$750/week.

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

The going rate for a sereno working 6 days a week, 10 hours per day is around $3,500 rd per month.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a good person, $5000 doesn't sound excessive. There have been many instances in the DR where watchmen were implicated in crimes against the people/property they were supposed to guard. You are paying the watchman not just for his time, but also his loyalty and good will.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

stupid question i gues but where do you find these gards and do they come with some sort of references?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    If you have a good person, $5000 doesn't sound excessive. There have been many instances in the DR where watchmen were implicated in crimes against the people/property they were supposed to guard. You are paying the watchman not just for his time, but also his loyalty and good will.
    I don't think their honesty will depend on how much they get paid. That cannot be purchased nor bought. Either they are honest or not. If they aren't they will set you up even if you doubled their pay.

Scott

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mislarimar
    stupid question i gues but where do you find these gards and do they come with some sort of references?
    I tend to ask around. If someone is referred to me I check their references through trusted Dominican friends. I'm pretty picky about it and most of them are not hired.

Other than the obvious question of honesty, which Scott is correct about, you have to worry about if this is a second job for them. In other words, do they work all day then come to your place to "guard" all night (by sleeping). If I catch one of my serenos sleeping he is out of a job the next morning, no exceptions.

I went through a bunch of serenos at the start but now have a very stable bunch who want the work, are good at it and stay awake.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hired a guy to watch my stuff. 150 a day. I guess thats a fair price. I bought 3,000 bricks and when I accounted for 2,998. I deducted it from his pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast