Anyone Ever Stay in these Boca Chica Hotels?

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Has anyone ever stayed in the Hotel Milanello, Hotel Rolling Stone, El Candil, Residence Los Pinos, or Battagliera? Any recommendations for either of those? Looking for cheap options, and all are around $25 per night, but other recommendations in that price range would be welcome too. Thanks!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
mb2 said:
Has anyone ever stayed in the Hotel Milanello, Hotel Rolling Stone, El Candil, Residence Los Pinos, or Battagliera? Any recommendations for either of those? Looking for cheap options, and all are around $25 per night, but other recommendations in that price range would be welcome too. Thanks!

VEry quick here....as i gotta get ready for work. Candil is really nice....it runs a wopping 45 bucks a night tho (LOL) Petteri & Guisseppi are great hosts and for a small & affordable hotel its very pretty, well cared for and has great service.

Do a search here...i am sure i have written some more extensive reviews in the past. Someone i met was staying at this other place for about 25 bucks...i have the card here somewhere...i will look for it when i get home tonight.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
mb2 said:

El Candil is clean with a nice swiming pool and Giusseppe will treat you like royalty.

Highly recommended!!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Battagliera Aparta Hotel

I've stayed at the Battagliera several times. It is fine if you don't mind not being close to the beach. It is a quiet location(just behind the Hotel Millanello) with several colmados and a cafe nearby. I chose a room without kitchen facilities ( only a small fridge) and it was very comfortable. The rooms were immaculate and the people who worked there were very pleasant. It was $25 US/night last October. Unfortunately the owner, Renato, passed away in January just before my last visit and the current owners and status is unknown to me. If you contact Roberto at Bocachica.net he could give you an update and or suggest alternatives in your price range. Tropical Garden Apartments is another Italian owned option that at $35 US is very nice and closer to the beach. If you need further info post specific questions. If you get any updated infomation please post it as I am curious as to the current situation.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mb2 said:

El Candil and Los Pinos are not $25 a night - the latter is $30, cash only, and is fine, no pool - it is an apartment building with only a few rooms for nightly use. El Candil is around $5 and has a pool. Milanello is quite nice has a good restaurant and tennis and pool and is a little remote for most people but if you can walk it is in a quiet area. It is also around $40 though.

H RS is too close to Duarte for what they want which is very high vis-a-vis the others. The one doesn't ring any bells at all.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
I would highly recommend EL Gaucho. This hotel is located on 20 De Deceimbre.

It is well run, a quiet atmostsphere, and offers great service. Rates are about $45/night.

Willie

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Thanks for all the comments/advice everyone! El Candil responded quickly to my email with a rate of $32 for mid April (single room), and Milanello says $48. The others haven't responded yet, but El Candil seems the way to go so far. Battagleria has not responded yet, and that is one I was very interested in. Jrzyguy, if you could find that other hotel for around $25 a night, I would appreciate it. I know that I'm being cheap, but I was just there in the DR a couple of months ago, and have to go back in June, so if I go in mid April I really need to do it on a very tight budget! Hence my search for the best of the cheaper accommodations. Thanks again everybody!

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
By the way, anyone have any ideas about the Angel Gabriel hotel, one of the ones at the bocachica.net site?

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
By the way, have heard back now from Battalegria, with a rate of $30 per night, and from Los Pinos with a rate of $35 per night. Still have not heard back from Rolling Stone, but Battalegria or Candil seem like good choices at this point. Battagleria rate includes all taxes, air conditioned room, and breakfast daily, plus airport pickup for $10.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
mb2 said:
By the way, have heard back now from Battalegria, with a rate of $30 per night, and from Los Pinos with a rate of $35 per night. Still have not heard back from Rolling Stone, but Battalegria or Candil seem like good choices at this point. Battagleria rate includes all taxes, air conditioned room, and breakfast daily, plus airport pickup for $10.

Milannello used do and still may, pick up at the airport too, I always saw the guy there with their little sign. It is a very nice setup there and if you go to BC have a look anyway.

If you know the guy at Los Pinos you'd not pay $35 either.

Where RS is removes it from consideration , don't bother - also there was a thread and a link for it in the thread and it was far too much for what and where.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
What about the Joker hotel, which is listed at bocachicabeach.net web site? Anyone ever stay there? On the map it looks far away from the center of town and the beach, but the pictures of the place look real nice.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
mb2 said:
What about the Joker hotel, which is listed at bocachicabeach.net web site? Anyone ever stay there? On the map it looks far away from the center of town and the beach, but the pictures of the place look real nice.

Far away from the centre of town is one way of saying that it is 1/2 way to the airport. Without a car this would be a terrible idea. I get the impression the price is the main consideration. Spend the $40 or so since you can't enjoy the trip this far from , well, everything and then some.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Thanks for the reply Rick and everybody else. From the map of the hotels in Boca Chica on the bocachicabeach.net web site, it looks like the Joker is just right behind the Milanell, which I did not get the impression was too far out of the way of things, but it's always so hard to tell from a map. Thanks for the advice. At this point, in my budget for this trip, it looks like I will be staying at either the Candil or Battaglreia. In June when I go back with a friend we will be choosing a nicer place, but for my budget those 2 work for now! Thank again everybody!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
mb2 said:
At this point, in my budget for this trip, it looks like I will be staying at either the Candil or Battaglreia. In June when I go back with a friend we will be choosing a nicer place, but for my budget those 2 work for now! Thank again everybody!

Don't forget they will charge you 15% tax as well. I would be worried about a trip where $10 a day is the difference between success and failure.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
The hotel for 25 bucks is Vista Tropical.

I can not vouch for the reputation of this hotel as i have not stayed there. But I met a middle aged woman from England who was staying there....and she seemed pretty happy with it.

number is 809-523-5622
Calle Duarte 73
(owners: Sinencio Brown & Maximo Brown)

IF you know BC at all...it is at the far end of duarte (near where all the food shacks are at the end of the beach).

Perhaps you should stay at Candil for this trip.....and investigate this other place while down there.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Thanks jrzyguy, I think you're right - stay someplace else this time, but I will check it out while I'm there to see about a future stay. I'll be sure to write what I think about it when I return! Thanks for getting me that information about it though!