Advice on planta needed

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Hi,

I am willing to buy a 16kw not canopied John Deere Diesel power generator (new).

Dealer wants 270.000 RD$.

Any comment on John Deere or price most welcome.

Thank you,

Barnab?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Barnabe said:
Hi,

I am willing to buy a 16kw not canopied John Deere Diesel power generator (new).

Dealer wants 270.000 RD$.

Any comment on John Deere or price most welcome.

Thank you,

Barnab?
Depends upon where you are in the country. Not everyone can fix a JD or get parts for it quickly. Also, warranties in far flung locations are pretty much a joke.

I recently purchased a 14Kw from San Miguel in Santo Domingo, paid $10K USD which included delivery & installation. It is a super-silencia (real quiet), Perkins engine. It's new but I needed something I could get fixed on the north coast if it broke. As much as I like JD, no one here can help me.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Castellamonte said:
Depends upon where you are in the country. Not everyone can fix a JD or get parts for it quickly. Also, warranties in far flung locations are pretty much a joke.

I recently purchased a 14Kw from San Miguel in Santo Domingo, paid $10K USD which included delivery & installation. It is a super-silencia (real quiet), Perkins engine. It's new but I needed something I could get fixed on the north coast if it broke. As much as I like JD, no one here can help me.

Thanks for this useful info!

Is it diesel? Where is San Miguel?

Thanks again,

Barnab?

Last edited:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Import from U S A?

Has anyone had any success importing large [ie 10 KW - 30 KW] new or used diesel generators from the USA? Positive experiences? Negative experiences? Free advice. Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Plantas

We purchased and iinstalled a 20KW Onan unit with a Cummins engine. It has performed flawlessly for 9 months. Service from Tecni-Caribe has been spotty at best, but professional when it does happen. I do all the ordinary maintenence myself.

We (my boys) also deal in new and used gensets, if you are in the mood, send me a PM and we can talk-anything up to 4 MW/

John Deere is an outstanding brand and, generally speakng, IMCA does a good job with technical assistance. However, putting in the genset is one thing and hooking up the genset is a totally different deal.

If memory serves, we spent an almost identical sum getting the installation all set up. (you are welcome to visit the place if you want)

The key part is the automatic transfer and relays. Well done and you start sleeping like a baby. Poorly executed and you are waking up at all hours wondering why the genset has not started or has not turned off...

Let me know if we can be of service.

HB :D:D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gringosabroso said:
Has anyone had any success importing large [ie 10 KW - 30 KW] new or used diesel generators from the USA? Positive experiences? Negative experiences? Free advice. Thank you.
I brought in 2 40kw from Miami for under 10k each from the states. Hooked up with a friend who had room in his container for one more he said and I fit two more.

Scott

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My House Came With a 20 Kilo "Planta",Powered By a Detroit Diesel Motor.

Even has it's own little "house"!It is VERY old,but it is a "workhorse"! It has no generator,so I have a trickle chatger hooked to the battery.It "had" a "Swegromatic" starter.That means that when we wanted it to start,I sent my "Swegro",(father-in-law) out to the little house to hit the start button!Same when it came time to shut it down.As you can imagine,this was very inconvenient,
and more costly,as I would often wait till later,to ask him to go turn it off when it was 3 or 4 am.
I was lucky that the mechanic in charge of all the "Huge" plantas at the "Plaza de Salud",(at least 8 !)where I work,was trained by Santo Domingo Motors on Detroit Diesel motors.He maintains my planta,and does a great job.He wired a "Switch" in my master bath,so I can turn the "planta" on and off at will.I don't want an automatic transfer switch,because I use my 3,5 K inverter system for most use,and only use the planta if we want "220" for the "Air-conditioners",washing,ironing,or to charge the inverter batteries when there is no street power for an extended time.
I guess my point is that the most important part of your "Planta",is availability of parts.service under warrentee,and most important,a really good mechanic for the long haul!
We,at the "Plaza",and I for my home,purchase parts from "San Miguel",they are very good,and have lots of parts in-stock.