Cell Phones from USA...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If I am buying a phone in the USA to use here in the DR...what are the specific technical requirements. For example, someone was telling me that they believe it has to be dual-band...but they were not sure about that. Anyone know? Thank You

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Digital phones get better coverage. Generally, (I often collect donated used cell phones for special projects here), I look for Verizon or Sprint phones from the US (CDMA 1900). They are easily activated in the DR with either Verizon, Centennial or Tricom.

In fact, my personal cell phone has two nams and is activated with a US number and a DR number.

You can also purchase a GSM phone and have the sim card replaced by Orange - and then activate the Orange sim.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
La Profe_1 said:
Digital phones get better coverage. Generally, (I often collect donated used cell phones for special projects here), I look for Verizon or Sprint phones from the US (CDMA 1900). They are easily activated in the DR with either Verizon, Centennial or Tricom.

In fact, my personal cell phone has two nams and is activated with a US number and a DR number.

You can also purchase a GSM phone and have the sim card replaced by Orange - and then activate the Orange sim.
Did you get both nams programmed in the DR or in the US? I have a Verizon (Codetel) phone I use in the DR and would dearly love to have the same phone (device) in the US but can't get anyone here to program the second nam.

Any ideas (besides two phones...I have that).

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I use Verizon in both countries on the same phone.
The girl @Verizon in Santiago showed me how to switch "Nams". I got help remotely from Verizon over the phone in 2 minutes in the USA. Just go into the settings panel on the phone after you have the 809 number put on to switch. I am no techie, and it was fairly easy.

Its probably best to start with a CDMA phone from Verizon USA with a number already on it!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Lechero said:
I use Verizon in both countries on the same phone.
The girl @Verizon in Santiago showed me how to switch "Nams". I got help remotely from Verizon over the phone in 2 minutes in the USA. Just go into the settings panel on the phone after you have the 809 number put on to switch. I am no techie, and it was fairly easy.
Did you go to the big Codetel office in Santiago? I pass there a lot and will stop in to get some assistance on this as well. Heck, I am a techie and haven't figured it out!! :cross-eye

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
The Verizon down the street from Gran Almirante gave me the number.
The girl in Playero is pretty good in Sosua as well!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
La Profe_1 said:

Thank you for the answer...but are you saying that GSM phones only work with Orange...that to use Verizon I need a CDMA 1900 phone? What would be the cost of having a SIM card replaced by Orange? Any other factors to consider?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think it is around 350 pesos to change the sim card and activate it with Orange. Yes, you understand my post as to needing CDMA for any carrier but Orange.

As to the two NAMS, I travel back and forth from the US. It actually works BETTER to have the DR number on the first NAM because if you bring an already activated US phone, Verizon (DR) will overwrite the programming on the first NAM instead of using the second.

Next time you are in the US, take your DR cell phone with you and have Verizon activate the second name with your US number.

property

Mar 10, 2005
cell phones from the US...

though Cdma phones work well in DR.. I just use an unlock GSM phone.. that way I can use it in other countries.. just make sure it's at least a tri-band phone and your're good ( Quad bands gurantees it will work) ... Gsm phones tend to easier to get...at least for me... and you keep your numbers on the chip..

Jan 9, 2004
Snuffy said:
If I am buying a phone in the USA to use here in the DR...what are the specific technical requirements. For example, someone was telling me that they believe it has to be dual-band...but they were not sure about that. Anyone know? Thank You

Snuffy:

From years of personal experience, stick with CDMA technology in the DR. The coverage from Orange (GSM) if you travel the island, is spotty.

I have used Sprint phones in the DR for many years now and they have always worked well. I would rank the carriers for Sprint phones in terms of coverage as Verizon first (formerly Codetel), Tricom second and Centennial last.

Currently I am using a Samsung 8500, an older flip model. I have found it to give me a signal where other newer phones could not.

As buying a used phone is relatively inexpensive here in the US, I find it easier to have a separate phone in the DR. I leave it with a friend who puts a 100 peso calling card in it on a monthly basis to keep it activated. The best part about this type of phone is that if you lose it or it gets stolen, you are only out a used phone and whatever time is left from your calling cards.
No need to worry that the phone bill has been run up with calls to who knows where. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Playacaribe2,

Thanks...that is what I was looking for. Sprint Phones...CDMA. Okay

playacaribe2 said:
Snuffy:

From years of personal experience, stick with CDMA technology in the DR. The coverage from Orange (GSM) if you travel the island, is spotty.

I have used Sprint phones in the DR for many years now and they have always worked well. I would rank the carriers for Sprint phones in terms of coverage as Verizon first (formerly Codetel), Tricom second and Centennial last.

Currently I am using a Samsung 8500, an older flip model. I have found it to give me a signal where other newer phones could not.

As buying a used phone is relatively inexpensive here in the US, I find it easier to have a separate phone in the DR. I leave it with a friend who puts a 100 peso calling card in it on a monthly basis to keep it activated. The best part about this type of phone is that if you lose it or it gets stolen, you are only out a used phone and whatever time is left from your calling cards.
No need to worry that the phone bill has been run up with calls to who knows where. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Be sure that your sprint phone will be 1900 MHz, some phones doesn't work in Digital mode.

I was using Orange services and personally I don't like the service, actually im using centennial, 100% Digital with 3G tecnology and they have great customer service and the coverage now is better.

http://www.centennialrd.com/cobertura.php