pharmacy in sosua/puerto plata

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
Hi -- I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I am a pharmacy student in my last year of pharmacy school and am looking to move to the sosua/puerto plata area for about 2 months during sept and oct. The thing is -- I dont just want to be a beach bum. I already have my money saved up for rent/food/etc. But I really want to work and get some experience in the pharmacy/health care field. Does anyone know where I could work and how I would go about getting a job?? I know that my chances are slim -- which is why Im willing to work for basically nothing. I did want to find something just to cover my spending money on the weekends if possible. I have a lot of clinical experience too -- doing physical assessment, blood pressure, giving injections, listening to heart rate...and also a LOT about drugs. So I could work in just a regular pharmacy or a clinical/hospital. I just really want the experience. Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't mention your language skills. How fluent are you in Spanish?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I know of & work WITH (supplying them with medications tourists et al bring in F.O.C.) three pharmacies in the Puerto Plata area & I could take you to see them. There are also a couple of clinics that I assist that would be prepared to see you BUT (as Ken asks) What is your level of Spanish???? If you don't have any experience of FAST speaking Spanish, I think you can virtually forget working in clinics or pharmacies - free OR for small salary!! PM or e-mail me if you DO speak Spanish well!! ~ Grahame.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Pharmacists???

I was under the impression that the people behind the counters at most pharmacies I have been to in the DR were NOT trained or regulated pharmacists. Mind you I have always found everyone to be incrediby knowledgeable in what pharmaceuticals to give for whatever ailment I was complaining of at the time, but I assumed this was due to experience not schooling? I also don't recall ever seeing a certificate/diploma displayed like how they are in Canada and the U.S. (although even if they have them, I don't know if it would be standard to display such a thing in the DR).

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, if you have money saved to live on and want to have an experience while here, but to use your skills, why not look into volunteer work instead?
There are several organisations in Puerto Plata - Sosua area that work with children, schools etc where you could help out in many ways.. from health issues, to information about diets - "how to eat", what to do in certain states of illnessess etc etc.
It would also be a way for you to learn Spanish fast..
I doubt a pharmacy would hire you with a salary...
Good luck, and let us know how your plans comes along!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
I was under the impression that the people behind the counters at most pharmacies I have been to in the DR were NOT trained or regulated pharmacists. Mind you I have always found everyone to be incrediby knowledgeable in what pharmaceuticals to give for whatever ailment I was complaining of at the time, but I assumed this was due to experience not schooling? I also don't recall ever seeing a certificate/diploma displayed like how they are in Canada and the U.S. (although even if they have them, I don't know if it would be standard to display such a thing in the DR).

That has been my impression, too, Fiesta Mama. They seem to know a lot about what they sell, but I have never thought it was because they had the same type of training as do pharmacists in the US and Canada.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
seksek15 said:
Hi -- I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I am a pharmacy student in my last year of pharmacy school and am looking to move to the sosua/puerto plata area for about 2 months during sept and oct. The thing is -- I dont just want to be a beach bum. I already have my money saved up for rent/food/etc. But I really want to work and get some experience in the pharmacy/health care field. Does anyone know where I could work and how I would go about getting a job?? I know that my chances are slim -- which is why Im willing to work for basically nothing. I did want to find something just to cover my spending money on the weekends if possible. I have a lot of clinical experience too -- doing physical assessment, blood pressure, giving injections, listening to heart rate...and also a LOT about drugs. So I could work in just a regular pharmacy or a clinical/hospital. I just really want the experience. Thanks
You are gonna be there for just 2 months?
I don't know if pharmacies are gonna be willing to take their time to teach someone that is only gonna be working for them for 2 months.
I think that if you want to start building your profile you should start by volunteering since not many businesses are gonna say no to free help.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think it might be hard even to work for free in a pharmacy. I would say, the owner still need to put time aside to train a person, to show where all the things are, to win trust not the least as it is alots of pills etc in a pharmacy. I am not sure many would bother to do this just to have a person there for 2 months. Not with or without salary. And Spanish would be an absolute must.
The pharmacy I have across my house in Puerto Plata is runned by a family, and they live in the house next to the pharmacy. The mother in the family is a pharmacist, the father and the older children that helps out in the evenings etc are not. But it is also a cultural difference I think from many countries, as here you can also buy perfumes, chocolate, soft drinks etc etc in the pharmacies.. You can also buy pills by one, two etc. In Europe at least, this is not the case in many countries.
I dont think it is easy to volunteer or to get a 2 month employment in a pharmancy.

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
thanks for the replys

Okay -- so you guys made some very good points. I know 2 months is a very short time...I just really wanted to get some experience in a dominican pharmacy -- because I am considering moving there after I am through with school (in approx 1 year). But, the idea of volunteering for the organizations in puerto plata / sosua with the children, and teaching them about health and illnesses sounds very interesting. I would help me out so much to become fluent in spanish. What about clinics though -- do you think I could volunteer in any of those???
Does anyone know of any contacts with the organizations??? I have about 8 years worth of spanish classes...but I've never lived in a spanish speaking country...when I go there on vacation...I find myself becoming fluent by the end of the 2nd week, and then I come back to the states and lose it all until my next dominican trip.
Thanks for all of the info -- and if you know of any contacts, or the names of the organizations, It would really help me out.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are many organisations, depending on where you plan to stay.. you mention Sosua and Puerto Plata.
One that work with children in Puerto Plata is http://www.fundapatria.com/
You can visit their website and send them an email, and I am sure they can help you in many ways, either by being interested themselves or by pointing you further.