Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Verizon sucks !!!

I thought Verizon was a serious international firm ? It seems that they just are full of incompetent manana idiots. They should just do a simple planned change at Condos Dominicano in Sosua, a small job, estimated to an hour or so. Now we have been without internet for 2 days. I hope someone from the company is reading this, but i doubt any of their employes understand english. It's a shame they have a monopoly in the area.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Judging by all the other rants about Verizon in the international forum I am subscribed to, the local branch is as good as they are anywhere.

Good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

believe me TOR, I know your frustration very well. It took them 2 days short of a FULL 3 months to install my phone/DSL line. The upside: When you get it, it works pretty well. Provided you have an alternate email service. Today has been a terrible day for transmissions and locals emailing me. Hang in there.
    TEHAMA

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pib
    Judging by all the other rants about Verizon in the international forum I am subscribed to, the local branch is as good as they are anywhere.

Good luck.
    If they are working that bad in the US, then I cannot understand that any American would use their service.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tor
    I thought Verizon was a serious international firm ? It seems that they just are full of incompetent manana idiots. They should just do a simple planned change at Condos Dominicano in Sosua, a small job, estimated to an hour or so. Now we have been without internet for 2 days. I hope someone from the company is reading this, but i doubt any of their employes understand english. It's a shame they have a monopoly in the area.
    Try getting on to the 220 1111 number & press '0' for the operator. Then ask her for the tel. No. & extention of the General Manager (I seem to recall his name being Vargas). When you ring that department, be polite & firm with the secretary who I find to be MOST helpful & who normally gets my problems sorted out within a 24 hour period!! I am NOT suggesting you did on this occasion, but I find ranting & raving seldom gets any constructive support from any Dominican Company - a more laid back & "I know you will do your best to help me ............." approach gets a far better (& quicker) response.

YES Verizon can be VERY frustrating, but stacked up against the other internet providers here, they generally stand head & shoulders above the rest!! (Hope someone from Verizon sees that bit - I may need help again fairly soon!!!!!!!!!) ~ Grahame.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have to agree!

Verizon leaves much to be desired for!
    It is a big monster that still suffers a lot of the monopoly and codetel days.
    The amount of people employed to run the company/networks, compared to the other "private" operators just goes to show that much still needs to be done....

Coņo! Diablo!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a beer and relax. There is life after broadband, 2 days is not a long time to wait in this country.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solituna
    Verizon leaves much to be desired for!
    It is a big monster that still suffers a lot of the monopoly and codetel days.
    The amount of people employed to run the company/networks, compared to the other "private" operators just goes to show that much still needs to be done....

Coņo! Diablo!
    Codetel used to be owned by the telecom company GTE, which merged with Bell Atlantic to form Verizon. They just rebranded Codetel Verizon after the merger, the company is the same as it was in teh Codetel days.

The same way that Dominican Wendy's doesn't taste exactly like American Wendy's...........Dominican Verizon has it's own taste too........a hint of incompetency.

But for what it's worth when you think about it they are pretty amazing for being in the DR. They span the entire country and have a fully functioning network. That's an impressive feat in such a corrupt/inefficient country.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In reality

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertArenas
    Codetel used to be owned by the telecom company GTE, which merged with Bell Atlantic to form Verizon. They just rebranded Codetel Verizon after the merger, the company is the same as it was in teh Codetel days.

The same way that Dominican Wendy's doesn't taste exactly like American Wendy's...........Dominican Verizon has it's own taste too........a hint of incompetency.

But for what it's worth when you think about it they are pretty amazing for being in the DR. They span the entire country and have a fully functioning network. That's an impressive feat in such a corrupt/inefficient country.
    When you think about it, Its really amazing. They beat most anything in South America, and most of the Caribbean, plus some of Europe, as far as whats availiable. May not be great, or efficient as you would like but most of the time it's not bad, that finishes the plug for my old company.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one...
    I asked them to install a phone/dsl at my finca home which is about 1/2 mile off the main road. They complained about the poles and wires so, being seriously in need of a phone, I agreed to pay for NEW POLES and ALL THE WIRE. I had it strung by a Verizon guy (little white truck and everything).

Phone works for about 24 hours. Dies. Call Verizon from my cell. Am informed the line is "illegal." I point out I had them install it. Nada. They insist they never would have installed it. Huh? I watched them.

'Course maybe this is just one of the Codetel dudes scamming me. Probably was. However, the line is there fully connected. Since I have about a dozen lines with Verizon I appealed to them as a "VIP" customer (their words).

Nada. They claim they can't go more than "4 poles off the main road" which is nonsense because the finca across the street has a phone. More bribes coming, I fear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast