Verizon sucks !!!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I thought Verizon was a serious international firm ? It seems that they just are full of incompetent manana idiots. They should just do a simple planned change at Condos Dominicano in Sosua, a small job, estimated to an hour or so. Now we have been without internet for 2 days. I hope someone from the company is reading this, but i doubt any of their employes understand english. It's a shame they have a monopoly in the area.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
believe me TOR, I know your frustration very well. It took them 2 days short of a FULL 3 months to install my phone/DSL line. The upside: When you get it, it works pretty well. Provided you have an alternate email service. Today has been a terrible day for transmissions and locals emailing me. Hang in there.
TEHAMA

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Pib said:
Judging by all the other rants about Verizon in the international forum I am subscribed to, the local branch is as good as they are anywhere.

Good luck. ;)

If they are working that bad in the US, then I cannot understand that any American would use their service.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tor said:
I thought Verizon was a serious international firm ? It seems that they just are full of incompetent manana idiots. They should just do a simple planned change at Condos Dominicano in Sosua, a small job, estimated to an hour or so. Now we have been without internet for 2 days. I hope someone from the company is reading this, but i doubt any of their employes understand english. It's a shame they have a monopoly in the area.

Try getting on to the 220 1111 number & press '0' for the operator. Then ask her for the tel. No. & extention of the General Manager (I seem to recall his name being Vargas). When you ring that department, be polite & firm with the secretary who I find to be MOST helpful & who normally gets my problems sorted out within a 24 hour period!! I am NOT suggesting you did on this occasion, but I find ranting & raving seldom gets any constructive support from any Dominican Company - a more laid back & "I know you will do your best to help me ............." approach gets a far better (& quicker) response.

YES Verizon can be VERY frustrating, but stacked up against the other internet providers here, they generally stand head & shoulders above the rest!! (Hope someone from Verizon sees that bit - I may need help again fairly soon!!!!!!!!!) ~ Grahame.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Have to agree!

Verizon leaves much to be desired for!
It is a big monster that still suffers a lot of the monopoly and codetel days.
The amount of people employed to run the company/networks, compared to the other "private" operators just goes to show that much still needs to be done....

Co?o! Diablo!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Tor said:

Have a beer and relax. There is life after broadband, 2 days is not a long time to wait in this country.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
solituna said:
Verizon leaves much to be desired for!
It is a big monster that still suffers a lot of the monopoly and codetel days.
The amount of people employed to run the company/networks, compared to the other "private" operators just goes to show that much still needs to be done....

Co?o! Diablo!

Codetel used to be owned by the telecom company GTE, which merged with Bell Atlantic to form Verizon. They just rebranded Codetel Verizon after the merger, the company is the same as it was in teh Codetel days.

The same way that Dominican Wendy's doesn't taste exactly like American Wendy's...........Dominican Verizon has it's own taste too........a hint of incompetency. :)

But for what it's worth when you think about it they are pretty amazing for being in the DR. They span the entire country and have a fully functioning network. That's an impressive feat in such a corrupt/inefficient country.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In reality

GilbertArenas said:
Codetel used to be owned by the telecom company GTE, which merged with Bell Atlantic to form Verizon. They just rebranded Codetel Verizon after the merger, the company is the same as it was in teh Codetel days.

The same way that Dominican Wendy's doesn't taste exactly like American Wendy's...........Dominican Verizon has it's own taste too........a hint of incompetency. :)

But for what it's worth when you think about it they are pretty amazing for being in the DR. They span the entire country and have a fully functioning network. That's an impressive feat in such a corrupt/inefficient country.

When you think about it, Its really amazing. They beat most anything in South America, and most of the Caribbean, plus some of Europe, as far as whats availiable. May not be great, or efficient as you would like but most of the time it's not bad, that finishes the plug for my old company.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Tor said:
Here's another one...
I asked them to install a phone/dsl at my finca home which is about 1/2 mile off the main road. They complained about the poles and wires so, being seriously in need of a phone, I agreed to pay for NEW POLES and ALL THE WIRE. I had it strung by a Verizon guy (little white truck and everything).

Phone works for about 24 hours. Dies. Call Verizon from my cell. Am informed the line is "illegal." I point out I had them install it. Nada. They insist they never would have installed it. Huh? I watched them.

'Course maybe this is just one of the Codetel dudes scamming me. Probably was. However, the line is there fully connected. Since I have about a dozen lines with Verizon I appealed to them as a "VIP" customer (their words).

Nada. They claim they can't go more than "4 poles off the main road" which is nonsense because the finca across the street has a phone. More bribes coming, I fear!

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
bienamor said:
When you think about it, Its really amazing. They beat most anything in South America, and most of the Caribbean, plus some of Europe, as far as whats availiable. May not be great, or efficient as you would like but most of the time it's not bad, that finishes the plug for my old company.

Yeah my father in law lives down there now and he has great cell phone service, high speed DSL.....home phone etc and never has any issues getting in contact with us.

Pretty good stuff. I've had nightmare scenarios with services here in the US (cable/phone companies) so that pretty much goes with the territory. DSL sometimes takes 2-3 months to install up here. :( (needless to say I have a cable modem)

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Nice to have options

Verizon is hit or miss here in the states too. The big difference being that we have options and in some areas you can choose VoIP. I have a cable modem and am extremely pleased with it.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok it was about 3 days, and remember, everything was working great until Verizon came to do the small ordered change.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Just Lucky?

My DSL was installed in Santiago same week I requested it. I have been up and running for over a year without any outages during the times I am in Santiago. Had some personal setup issues with a New laptop and a service person worked me through it over the phone and stayed with me until I was up and running. So far very satisfied customer. ;)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Castellamonte said:
Here's another one...
I asked them to install a phone/dsl at my finca home which is about 1/2 mile off the main road. They complained about the poles and wires so, being seriously in need of a phone, I agreed to pay for NEW POLES and ALL THE WIRE. I had it strung by a Verizon guy (little white truck and everything).

Phone works for about 24 hours. Dies. Call Verizon from my cell. Am informed the line is "illegal." I point out I had them install it. Nada. They insist they never would have installed it. Huh? I watched them.

'Course maybe this is just one of the Codetel dudes scamming me. Probably was. However, the line is there fully connected. Since I have about a dozen lines with Verizon I appealed to them as a "VIP" customer (their words).

Nada. They claim they can't go more than "4 poles off the main road" which is nonsense because the finca across the street has a phone. More bribes coming, I fear!

Hello Castellamonte, in your case you must contact Indotel 1-809-200-5353 toll free, they will help you, they couldn't disconnect you after the phone line was in service, why they wait after that to said that was illegal?

They will help you, www.indotel.org.do

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
riravaga said:
Hello Castellamonte, in your case you must contact Indotel 1-809-200-5353 toll free, they will help you, they couldn't disconnect you after the phone line was in service, why they wait after that to said that was illegal?

They will help you, www.indotel.org.do
Hi, I'll give it a try but I don't hold out much hope. We've gone around and around with Verizon on this. It is funny (almost).

The line went active, stayed that way for a few days and then nada for over a week. After much cajoling we managed to get them to say 'okay' again and up came the line. A few more days and zap, nada.

In the time that the line was alive (it has a desigated number), I rec'd calls, logged on the Internet, called the US, called all over. Then they tell me the line is illegal and try to get one of my Dominican workers to tell me they needed RD$4000 pesos to "turn it back on." A very obvious bribe!

I'll call Indotel and let all know how Verizon is dealing with this.

Note, also, that I was probably the single most influental person in Cabrera to get Codetel to install DSL. They said they wouldn't do it without 20 commitments. I worked the area and got 19 people to sign up. Then Codetel told me it was "40 people" so I just bought the other 21 lines from them!

Still, I get this kind of crappy service!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Castellamonte said:
Hi, I'll give it a try but I don't hold out much hope. We've gone around and around with Verizon on this. It is funny (almost).

The line went active, stayed that way for a few days and then nada for over a week. After much cajoling we managed to get them to say 'okay' again and up came the line. A few more days and zap, nada.

In the time that the line was alive (it has a desigated number), I rec'd calls, logged on the Internet, called the US, called all over. Then they tell me the line is illegal and try to get one of my Dominican workers to tell me they needed RD$4000 pesos to "turn it back on." A very obvious bribe!

I'll call Indotel and let all know how Verizon is dealing with this.

Note, also, that I was probably the single most influental person in Cabrera to get Codetel to install DSL. They said they wouldn't do it without 20 commitments. I worked the area and got 19 people to sign up. Then Codetel told me it was "40 people" so I just bought the other 21 lines from them!

Still, I get this kind of crappy service!

fill this document for your reclamation, http://www.indotel.org.do/(dgebyh55npyqjyawl5l5itmz)/reclamacion.aspx

Trust me they will cantact you, there are a radio station near to my home, we could hear the radio on tv, I called the indotel made a complain last month , few days after that they called me back to confirm the complain and to get some extra info about it, and now the problem is almost solved the interference is minumus, guess they will solve the problem complete soon.