Need help dispelling another rumour!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
A friend heard that 2-4 days ago a dive center at a resort in Punta Cana "lost" 7-8 divers including the owner of the dive center.
No-one in our area has so far been able to confirm or put to rest this rumour however our friend does have a friend who owns a dive center in Punta Cana however he has been unable to reach him since yesterday when he first heard this rumour.
Knowing how these instances somehow manage to be covered up often ,
I said I'd post on the board to see if anyone in the PC area had heard anything or could confirm this rumour?
So if there are any whispers out there please respond!

Last edited:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There was an accident similar as you describe but not 2-4 days but 2-4 months ago.
They did a vey deep dive in a very unprofessional way, e.g. not planning on having sufficient air supply for the long decompression stops necessary.

Some of them died, some simply dissapeared in the deep and some survived.

I don't recall if there was press coverage.

I remember that one of them was Belgium.

BTW, I have this information from a professional diver who did the search and rescue operation together with the navy.

He is lurking on this board, maybe he joins the thread.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the quick reply Mido......

however this is apparently a "new" happening and not the one from 2/3 months ago.
Our friends' friend turned up late last night - he's been in SD buying some equipment and parts so hasn't heard anything. Maybe when he gets back to PC........so if the "lurker" is lurking maybe he will join the thread and let us know if he's heard anything!