Bringing in kitchen appliances on a visit

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
This may be a silly question but is there any cost associated with bringing in a small kitchen appliance such as a microwave or toaster oven when traveling to the DR?
Teacher

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What Would Be a Simple Question Most Places In The world,

becomes a "loaded" question in the DR!
"Depends" is the answer here!
Depends on who you have as a Customs Agent when you arrive in the DR.Can you convince them that you are going to take the "oven" with you when you leave,Doubtful!
Now,if you tell us "why" you need an "oven",we may be able to give better advice.
Do you know that you can buy those items here if you want? For about $100 US, or a less.At that price,it beats dragging stuff on the plane.And,you can make someone happy when you leave the oven with them when you leave!
You may have a nice oven,and often no electricity to run it! Dominicans are somewhat innovative,there may be a simple "local" solution for what you need an oven for.Let us know. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Teacher said:
This may be a silly question but is there any cost associated with bringing in a small kitchen appliance such as a microwave or toaster oven when traveling to the DR?
Teacher
If it fits in a backpack or computer bag then I recommend stuffing it in there. The customs people will overlook it because they seldom check personal items. If it is in the suitcase, and they open it, it will cost about $100 USD no matter what.

Apparently the importation duty is associated with the electrical wattage of the specific item. Kitchen appliances typically suck electicity like my grandkid sucks a straw in a milkshake. As such, the duty might be higher.

I've lugged in tons of things and if I'm stopped it doesn't seem to matter what it is. Everything calculates to about $100 bucks!

So I say, use the backpack!

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Thank You Criss Colon and Castellmonte. You both answered very well. I looked at one DR site for appliances and had seen a small microwave ( the $49.00 brand in the US) for aboiut $200 there. So I believe it must be possible to buy the small ones there. Just shop around seems to be the key.
Thank you both for your responses.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Criss Colon said:
becomes a "loaded" question in the DR!
"Depends" is the answer here!
Depends on who you have as a Customs Agent when you arrive in the DR.Can you convince them that you are going to take the "oven" with you when you leave,Doubtful!
Now,if you tell us "why" you need an "oven",we may be able to give better advice.
Do you know that you can buy those items here if you want? For about $100 US, or a less.At that price,it beats dragging stuff on the plane.And,you can make someone happy when you leave the oven with them when you leave!
You may have a nice oven,and often no electricity to run it! Dominicans are somewhat innovative,there may be a simple "local" solution for what you need an oven for.Let us know. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I brought a microwave down last year. I paid $75 for it in the States. Same one was over $250 in DR.