schools in Cabrera?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Castellamonte said:
What do you mean by "decent?" International or Dominican?

I'm not sure what International means, but probably that's it. Good enough for the kids to go on to a University. Right now, the 5 year old goes to Garden Kids is Sosua. Obviously that would be too far a commute. - D

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Schools in Cabrera

Danny W said:
I'm not sure what International means, but probably that's it. Good enough for the kids to go on to a University. Right now, the 5 year old goes to Garden Kids is Sosua. Obviously that would be too far a commute. - D
The short answer is "none" The nearest school that is suitable for what you want is the International School in Sosua. I did have some friends who had children that made the commute for a few years. Worked for them.

Do you live in Cabrera?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Castellamonte said:
The short answer is "none" The nearest school that is suitable for what you want is the International School in Sosua. I did have some friends who had children that made the commute for a few years. Worked for them.

Do you live in Cabrera?

I don't want to bore you, but I live in NY and my girlfriend and her 2 kids live in a condo I bought in Sosua. I plan to retire or at least spend alot more time in the DR soon (I'm 61), and Cabrera looks great. It seems much more peaceful, and the kind of house I would want with an ocean view seems much more affordable there. My guess is that it's about a 1 hour drive to Sosua, is that right? - D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's get this straight

You have a "girlfriend" that you support, with two kids that are not yours, and you are thinking that these kids might make it to college?

While I doubt that will be in their future, unless you live a long time and see to it, there is nothing wrong with them going to school in Cabrera all the way through high school. If their mother and you are firm, and they do their work, learn to read and write, concentrate on Math, and are diligent students, they can qualify for student loans on their own (85 average ofver the 4 years of High School). That said, they can always go to most of the universities in the DR, no matter what, if you are paying. It is dirt cheap and some of the schools produce top notch people. (I mean $2500 a year for medical school?, That's very inexpensive). Now, if you are going to steer these kids to Harvard or Princeton (Don't kid yourself there are a lot of DR grads from these and other fine schools), then you have to think major investment in English language education. And push the crap outta the kids, or else. And, of course Cabrera would be out of the picture.

Of course you could send them to Choate, or Hotchkiss or Canterbury or St. Paul's to prepare for top-of-the-line US colleges.

But if they are going to study here, Don't worry about multi or bi-lingual studies. Why waste the money.?? Kids learn English from MTV these days.

Enjoy your retirement, wherever you want.

HB

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Danny W said:
I don't want to bore you, but I live in NY and my girlfriend and her 2 kids live in a condo I bought in Sosua. I plan to retire or at least spend alot more time in the DR soon (I'm 61), and Cabrera looks great. It seems much more peaceful, and the kind of house I would want with an ocean view seems much more affordable there. My guess is that it's about a 1 hour drive to Sosua, is that right? - D
Right, Sosua is about an hour from Cabrera. I understand their is a very nice French school in Rio San Juan. Some friends of mine who used to own La Catalina in Cabrera sent their kids there, I guess. I can hunt it down if you are interested. If the kids are any indication, the school is quite good.

Cabrera is LOTS more affordable (and quiet) than Sosua, IMHO. It won't be that way forever, tho. Check with www.vistamar2000.com if you are interested in real estate there. She is one of the most honest people I've ever met (here or elsewhere).

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hillbilly said:
You have a "girlfriend" that you support, with two kids that are not yours, and you are thinking that these kids might make it to college?

While I doubt that will be in their future, unless you live a long time and see to it, there is nothing wrong with them going to school in Cabrera all the way through high school. If their mother and you are firm, and they do their work, learn to read and write, concentrate on Math, and are diligent students, they can qualify for student loans on their own (85 average ofver the 4 years of High School). That said, they can always go to most of the universities in the DR, no matter what, if you are paying. It is dirt cheap and some of the schools produce top notch people. (I mean $2500 a year for medical school?, That's very inexpensive). Now, if you are going to steer these kids to Harvard or Princeton (Don't kid yourself there are a lot of DR grads from these and other fine schools), then you have to think major investment in English language education. And push the crap outta the kids, or else. And, of course Cabrera would be out of the picture.

Of course you could send them to Choate, or Hotchkiss or Canterbury or St. Paul's to prepare for top-of-the-line US colleges.

But if they are going to study here, Don't worry about multi or bi-lingual studies. Why waste the money.?? Kids learn English from MTV these days.

Enjoy your retirement, wherever you want.

HB

HB - I am forever grateful to you for the wonderful medical (and other) advice that you have given me in the past. I am happy to tell you that I KNOW that these kids are going to college. The 5 year old saw his first toilet a year ago, spoke to a white kid for the first time nine months ago and is now getting perfect scores at the Garden Kids school. He loves to learn. Their mother is extremely devoted and ambitious for her kids.

I agree with you completely regarding public schools. Many of the most brilliant and successful people in the DR and in the US as well are products of public education. It's more a function of the student and the parents. I'm still learning about life in the DR, but having already brought up 2 sons, 28 and 31, I know alot about parenting and family life. I just want to see this family grow into happy, healthy, successful adults (including the mother who is only 22 and just gaining self confidence and self esteem). Wherever I retire to, that will make it a happy retirement. -D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny W said:
Danny, it is over an hour to get to Cabrera. 1 hour and 20 minutes considering the poor roads and running the gaunlet through Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. I don't know about schools there but I have an American friend who lives there with his Dominican wife and two children and I will enquire next time there. I was there last week with my dad and she was leaving to take the kids to school but I didn't ask where. He is SJS on this message board but is off line and phoneless at the moment as they just moved to the farm and are not hooked up yet. They were living in town but have just moved.

Scott

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Escott said:
Danny, it is over an hour to get to Cabrera. 1 hour and 20 minutes considering the poor roads and running the gaunlet through Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. I don't know about schools there but I have an American friend who lives there with his Dominican wife and two children and I will enquire next time there. I was there last week with my dad and she was leaving to take the kids to school but I didn't ask where. He is SJS on this message board but is off line and phoneless at the moment as they just moved to the farm and are not hooked up yet. They were living in town but have just moved.

Scott

Info greatly appreciated. I guess I'll finally be meeting you on Easter Sunday, when we'll both be a year older. - D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I am leaving on Easter Sunday to NY for 9 days with my daughter. Something came up and I figured that traveling with my daughter worked for me. I have a 4 o'clock flight.

Call me when you get in town and we can have a drink or dinner.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Then go for Cabrera, by all means!

You can school them at the French school, why not, another language will always come in handy.

And don't sweat it. With you there, they'll do just fine. At my school, some of the very brightest kids come from the wierdiest places. If the desire to learn is there then they triumph.

One more thing. In Cabrera, they will be taken care of, since it is a small town and everyone knows everyone. They pride themselves on doing the best with what they have. I only know the high school, but if the enthusiasm is the same at the lower levels, then they should prosper in that environment., and with computers and learning programs to boost their curiosity..hey, piece of cake!

Will you be down this way after Easter??

HB :D:D
Escott Good luck to your daughter!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Thanks HB. She is testing for her 3rd degree on the 2nd and a knee operation soon after which I just found out. Maniscus and they are going to try and repair it. She has been having trouble for a while with it and the Dr. that is going to operate on her can't believe she does what she does the way the knee is. She will be dancing and sporting in 2 weeks they say.