A security solution?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I think I might have had a good idea - cause for concern I know!

In our little corner of the DR my neighbours thought it would be a good idea if we all had walkie talkies. I've just bought some Motorola Talkabout T4900's for around 40 dollars for two. They come with a charger that you can stand them in.

Here's our plan - ten four good buddies! I believe that channel 9 is the emergency channel, therefore at night we all switch our handsets on to channel nine and then go to bed. Should anything happen in the night there's no need to go fumbling around for a mobile to phone someone who's probably switched their phone off and gone to bed. Just press the talk button and we're all wide awake. Someone else can phone the police, someone else can get tooled up and come and help. We think it's a good plan.

So, why stop in our little spot? They sell a slightly more powerful handset with a ten mile radius. I could call Rocky and get him out of bed from my house! Seriously though, if more people were to buy them and then we had some sort of list of who'se where we could quickly arrange help almost anywhere along the North Coast.

Whadaya think? Vigilantes Rock :bandit:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Simon & Nicky said:
I think mine are a three mile max. Haven't tested it yet.
Anytime you're ready to test them, I'm in, as long as you don't force me to talk like a redneck truck driver.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Simon
it's a great idea that is already used in our little community by my Gerrman neighbours.

the only drawback is that there is only 1 charger base per 2 handsets. So each "handset only" holder has to return the handset to the base each day for recharging, which is a big pain in the arse.

Have you got units so everyone can recharge themselves?
cheers
Graham
ps the other drawback for me is I nein sprachen de Deutsche so I would have no frickin idea if anyone was calling for assistance.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

That is a great idea.

Also, where I work, up on one of the departments, they have a package of 8 little alarms that would be great for windows and doors. They are no more than an inch but let me tell you, those suckers can make some noise!!.

I was playing around with one about a week ago and while I was thinking, "contra, these little midgets would sell amazinly in the DR" one went off and, let me tell you, I still have that little "sound" inside my head. Trust me, if I ran like a little girl when it went off, so would any thieves!.

The noise that come out of them is amazing. Enough to wake 2 blocks!. They are batttery operated and guess this, the package is about 10 bucks!.

Actually, where I work, they have a Cobra set for 30.00 and a Motorola for 40 and both come with 2 rechargers.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Miguel, I'm planning to install some of these in my house. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether they would go off all the time and give false alarms.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

suarezn said:
Hey Miguel, I'm planning to install some of these in my house. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether they would go off all the time and give false alarms.
I will buy a pack tomorrow and I will see if they go off without any provocation. I will let you you if/when they do. If they work correctly, oh boy, I will have to buy a whole bunch and send them over to the DR!.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
window alarms

yes those work great too.

I have 2 on each window/door in my house (back-up and double noise ;) )

Occasional false alarms when the adhesive comes unstuck due to the heat here and they fall off.

Buy them on Ebay and you'll find them for about a buck apiece.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok, here we go!

suaren, buddy of mine, compadre, companero, camarada and all the rest, good news!.

Went to my job, bought a pack, installed them all and they did not went off at all. They only went off when provoked!

JDJones, wonder no more!!

Called my business partner in the DR, told her about it, she says that they would sell beautifully, went back to my job and bought another 75 packages.

Get this, after a few phone calls, she already "sold" 20 packages, so she claims.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
The alarms are already here...

A Dominican guy came to my house selling the little alarms per piece the other day. I thought it was quite a good way of him earning a living but then my more devious side also worked out that he would know more about my security than I would like.

Yes - those little alarms are quite good - they're loud and reliable. I'm not sure where you would go to buy replacement batteries though and to be honest yes they're better than nothing but no they don't make up for the SOTA system that I've got installed in my house.

If you're on a budget you can buy a pretty decent small system from Radio Shack for around 100 dollars that is wireless and even a fool like me can install themselves. I put one in my garage. It covers the doors and includes a movement sensor. It will even 'phone you (or the police) with a recorded message if the alarm should go off.

- Anyhow back to walkie talkies eh. (They're cheaper and if you think about it, how are you going to respond if the alarm does go off?)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

Simon & Nicky said:
Anyhow back to walkie talkies eh. (They're cheaper and if you think about it, how are you going to respond if the alarm does go off?)
Actually, a walkie talkie is more efective if you give one to every person in your block. If you just give it to a few, many things can happen, the person could live far and be late by the time he gets to your house, the person maybe is not home if an emercency occurs, they can misplace them, forget to recharge them and a whole bunch of other things can happen.

I am not saying that these little alarms are more effective. Many people can not afford walkie talkies. These little" creatures" use 1 AA battery and a whole pack of 10 is only US $ 10.

How people will respond if/when it goes off?, easy, they are so noisy that it would wake up at least half the block!. And what happens when one is awaken because of a loud sound?, people tend to go out of the house to see where the noise is comng from.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We had those little alarms as pool alarms to keep little people out of the bottom of the pool. Ours has on/off switches. Never thought of using them for security. A great idea!!!

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
mainer said:
We had those little alarms as pool alarms to keep little people out of the bottom of the pool. Ours has on/off switches. Never thought of using them for security. A great idea!!!

Wow they work underwater too???????

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I plan to go live in the DR and i have my mobile alarmsystem with me. 2 Malinois trained in belgian ring (Hardest dog defence sport in the world) I doubt if a thief gets past them...

Greetings

Johan

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yes but!!!

heldengebroed said:
I plan to go live in the DR and i have my mobile alarmsystem with me. 2 Malinois trained in belgian ring (Hardest dog defence sport in the world) I doubt if a thief gets past them...

Greetings

Johan
Those are very strong dog. But, may I ask, do they eat?. I only ask because those "alarms" can be very easily "turn off". Just throw them a steak with some BBQ sauce(poison) in it.

When I was growing up, we had to get new dogs all the time becuase someone (ladrones) were "feeding" our dogs, if you know what Imean!!.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
They are anti-salamy trained. It is standard training and very easy to learn.
And yes they are strong fast biting machines if ordered or necessary :bandit:

Greetings

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
how?

heldengebroed said:
They are anti-salamy trained. It is standard training and very easy to learn.
And yes they are strong fast biting machines if ordered or necessary :bandit:

Greetings

could you explain how they train the dogs not to eat food from other people?
what to you do if you need a pet-sitter to feed them?

thanks.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I dont know how other people or trainers does, as we are raising our dog ourselves. It is a dalamation, she is 2 years now, and the recommended age to start training a dog is from around 8 months of age.
For us it is like this, our dog eats only from her own bowl.
We have also trained her to understand only our native language, Swedish, that I doubt a burglar would be able to speak.
She have no problem in playing around or so with people she sees that we accept or with friends of the family, neighbours etc that she knows we all have a relation to.

But yes, I am also interested in what you mean in anti-salami train her. I know there have been thiefs trying to break in to houses and by giving the dogs salami they hope to avoid problems with the dogs...