Where to start?

Momma Bugz

Mar 12, 2005
My plan is to complete my schooling for travel and tourism and move to the DR. I have to do this on my own and I am not the most organized person so I have no idea where to start. Anyone who can give me any Ideas or where to start it would be greatly appreciated!
Momma

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Momma Bugz said:
My plan is to complete my schooling for travel and tourism and move to the DR. I have to do this on my own and I am not the most organized person so I have no idea where to start. Anyone who can give me any Ideas or where to start it would be greatly appreciated!
Momma

First thing you must do is to know where you want to do it, Santo Domingo, North Region or East Region, then try to contact some turism student in the region to help you to identify where will be better for you, how are the process.

Momma Bugz

Mar 12, 2005
riravaga said:
First thing you must do is to know where you want to do it, Santo Domingo, North Region or East Region, then try to contact some turism student in the region to help you to identify where will be better for you, how are the process.

I am planning on moving to the North Coast

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's get a few things straight

Where are you studying?
What, exactly is your degree going to be?
Have you ever worked or lived in the DR?

YOu say "Momma" and that implies a child or children.

YOu say North Coast, and that shows you have no idea what you are going to do.

Wake up!

Finish the degree.
Get a job in the industry-there, not here. Get experience. Get a better job; get more experience. Then you talk to "corporate" and ask to be transferred to the DR as upper level management.

Jobs that pay living wages for a person with children or a child, in your area are not that easy to come by, so prepare yourself in the States or wherever you are before even thinking of coming here to work in the hotel and tourism field.

HB :(:(

Momma Bugz

Mar 12, 2005
No I don't have a child.....I have ideas as to where I wanna live but I am not set to a certain area. If I have more opportunities in Puerto Plata I am not going to live in San Juan.....
Thanks for your input, I am looking for help not people to put me down

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Momma Bugz said:
... I am looking for help not people to put me down
Unfortunately on this board you get both. You'll have to try to ignore the put downs. I am assuming you have already read ALL the info in the living section of DR1 http://dr1.com/living/index.shtml Also, I think there is (or was) a book published by DR1 or their predecessors. I'm not sure of the title or if the book is still available.

After you've done your homework, you may try to phrase a more specific question. You'll find the people on this board have a wealth of information.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"You'll find the people on this board have a wealth of information. They just don't seem to tolerate "newbies". (I don't know why)."

rellosk, I take strong exception to your statement. Many "newbies" come to the board and get support, information, and encouragement.

The ones who have trouble are those whose first post is to tell us about this wonderful Dominican she met at the hotel and how it was love at first sight.

Also having trouble are those who plan to move to the Dominican Republic but don't have a clue as to what they are going to do when they get here. And if on top of that they say they are "disorganized" and want this board to find them a job and plan their life in the DR, then they are almost certain to be upset by the responses they get. For example:

Momma Bugz said:
Momma

Hillbilly was not trying to put her down. He is one of the most tolerant and best liked people on the board. The advice he gave is the same as he gives all people who want to come to the DR but, in many cases, haven't even visited the DR, or if they have, spent all their time on the property of an AI.

Momma Bugz is lucky that it was Hillbilly and not one of the posters who is much less tolerant than HB is.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Momma Bugz said:
Momma
You would first have to make a list of all the things that you would have to give up and the things you are not.

Do you know spanish and are you willing to learn it?
are you willing to adapt to a plantains and eggs diet so that you can afford to live like the rest.
Are you strong and would you be ready to face reality when your sankie chews your hart out and spit it in pieces?

I am not trying to discourage you but HB gave you a great advice and you should listen to it.

You sound like you are very young since you are still in school.
scan a great company where you would be able to secure a solid future and grow and just vacation in the mean time.....There will always be a sankie waiting on you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So "Momma" doesn't mean 'mother'? Oh well

What I said still goes..

Please do not think that you can come here without good to excellent Spanish, a degree that is a bit more than "travel and tourism" and expect to make a living that would keep you in the manner you live now. It just won't happen unless you are the daughter of Fernando Rainiari, or one of the Franjules or the Hazourys, which you are not!.

So, get the degree, and get a job in the field up there. Then try to get here as an employee of a chain, a sort of gunslinger brought in to make things run right.

I know the dream is beautiful, but reality is rather cruel. The North Shore is a wonderful place, I love it. However, the hotels there are staffed with people that have years of experience. So how do you propose to displace one of them?
Wyndham just re-opened Heavens. Have you visited Wyndham's website? Asked for a job? Try it.

HB :D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Why do you post the same question in 2 different threads???
This was in General, and I was one of them taking my time to try to give some information to you..

This you posted yesterday:

View First Unread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

? #1 Yesterday, 06:25 PM
Momma Bugz
Bronze Join Date: Mar 2005

Travel and Tourism...good job?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I am studying Travel and tourism in school. I am looking into all my possibilities. Is travel and tourism a good corse with many different job opportunities in the DR?? I have herd that you can get a good job in the islands? My friends live in the DR and I have gone a few times to visit. Now I am just exploring my career options at home and all over the world.
Thankx Momma Bugz

Momma Bugz
View Public Profile
Challenge Momma Bugz in the Arcade
Send a private message to Momma Bugz
Find all posts by Momma Bugz
Add Momma Bugz to Your Buddy List

? #2 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Bonita Morena
Bronze Join Date: Sep 2004

I'm a travel and tourism student in Toronto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is a great choice for job oppurtunities if you like to travel and want experience different parts of the world. I am anxious to find employment in the industry, preferably in the DR. Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreiciated...

Bonita Morena
View Public Profile
Challenge Bonita Morena in the Arcade
Send a private message to Bonita Morena
Find all posts by Bonita Morena
Add Bonita Morena to Your Buddy List

? #3 Today, 10:11 PM
carina
Bronze Join Date: Mar 2005

Travel and tourism is a big and wide area. It would all depend on what area you would be focusing on.
Dominican Republic is a paradise in many, many ways and the tourism in some areas are booming, more hotels etc are being built. In other ways, many companies selling and arranging excursions say it is harder than ever.
Dominican Republic is also a 3rd world country, and the unemployment is very, very hight.
The hotel staff is mainly, almost completely, Dominican, and the salaries are of course Dominican as well. Most - all that are big - of the resorts are all - inclusive, meaning the tip base is not very high.
The local staff at hotels speak ( of course ) Spanish and also English.
The salaries are around 4000 -8000 pesos a month for 5,5 days a week of work. That would make 150 US - 300 US a month.
As a foreigner, with no family here etc you can not live on this money.

The excursion companies is a mix of local and foreign staff. Many companies are owned by foreigners who have emigrated to the island.
The tourguides are licenced, almost always local.
The office staff are often from other countries, but live here.
Many have families here as well, and they are billingual, sometimes they speak 3 languages. They are also very, very familiar with both tourism itself and with the local culture.
Tours are sold by the reps from the travel agencies. They are also sold in Plazas in boots. Those works are held by both foreigners and locals, and the salaries are commission based. So the earning is from 0 and up, all depending on your sales.

Some hotels have vacation clubs, the staff here needs to speak more than 1 language. The sale here is commission based as well.

There are people who come here and work, for longer and shorter times, to live the adventure and to learn about the country, to learn the language. The work in tourism, or in bars, discos etc for min. salary or by commission. Many come every year for some moths, some "overnight" the low season here as well.

There is not a situation here where the employers specifically look for foreigners who like to work in tourism. There is no lack of people who want to work.

This is some information, hope it helps a little!
Good luck with your future and I hope you find your place in the world that is yours!

carina
View Public Profile
Send a private message to carina
Send email to carina
Visit carina's homepage!
Find all posts by carina
Add carina to Your Buddy List

? #4 Today, 10:20 PM
rellosk
Bronze Join Date: Mar 2002

Carina,

Great posting. Lots of info.