Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppet Shows Every Saturday

Ran into a Fellow DR1er at the Puppet Show at the Parque Colon (East end of El Conde) in SD. The Secretary of Culture Sponsors these show for the Kids. Starting every Saturday at 5pm. We've been going, when we can, since we got here, it's a great free event for the kids. The shows start promptly at 5, they're never too crowded and they have chairs for the kids, get there a little early to get your seat. Of course the vendors are there, skim ice, popcorn, candy, empanadas, it's very nice, and free! Hope to see some more of you there. I'm the Gringo with the dominican wife and two kids, tatoo on left forearm. Say Hi, Introduce yourself please.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What is skim ice? I am trying to translate it and cannot find anything I am familiar with in Spanish that translates to skim ice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Skim ice is the frozen tube of Imitation Juice, that kids love. I forget what we called it back in the states. Freeze Pops maybe? Kool-Aid Pops? 5 pesos, don't let them charge you more than that. Tell them what color you want. The Vendors wear blue jumpsuits and store their goods in a Giant Penguin.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper
    What is skim ice? I am trying to translate it and cannot find anything I am familiar with in Spanish that translates to skim ice.
    Helado de palito? It doesn't contain dairy, only water, sugar and fruit flavoring.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GEEZ, do I have to do everything?

POPSICKLES! fer crissakes!! Sheesh! No youth? No making little rafts out of popsickle sticks?

Actually, the skim ice stuff is just a fancy "Yun-Yun" or Snow Cone

The Dominican onomstopoeia "yun-yun" is the sound the scraper makes as it goes over the ice. Those Penguin guys have just eliminated the scrapers...

(FYI: Dominican street yun-yuns are the best way to lose weight: Almost guaranteed to give you serious bowel infections that will result in major use of TP and "the facilities." )

HB

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    POPSICKLES! fer crissakes!! Sheesh! No youth? No making little rafts out of popsickle sticks?
    I always thought of them as ice lollies.

(FYI: Dominican street yun-yuns are the best way to lose weight: Almost guaranteed to give you serious bowel infections that will result in major use of TP and "the facilities." )
    Can't be more dangerous than Apu's Squishees. It depends where you buy them, the street is not a good choice.
    Last edited by Pib; 03-13-2005 at 01:18 PM.

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Default En el cibao, anyway...

If it's in a narrow plastic wrap, it's an esquimalito, aka "freezie."

If it's on a stick, it's a paleta, aka "popsickle."

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Philistines, the lot of you!

Who put the 'k' in popsicle, anyway?

Frozen snacks aside, I was the other known DR1er in the crowd. The question remains, was the RD$10 I paid for the popcorn a 'gringo'* price?

*with apologies to the OP

PS Pib, ice lollies, really. It'll be cucumber sandwiches and Earl Grey served on Charles and Camilla commemorative china for afternoon tea next.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder! This post is really about the Puppet Show, A great way to spend the early evening with the kids, Hope to see some more of you there!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Puppet Show Today! Hope to see you there.