Puppet Shows Every Saturday

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Ran into a Fellow DR1er at the Puppet Show at the Parque Colon (East end of El Conde) in SD. The Secretary of Culture Sponsors these show for the Kids. Starting every Saturday at 5pm. We've been going, when we can, since we got here, it's a great free event for the kids. The shows start promptly at 5, they're never too crowded and they have chairs for the kids, get there a little early to get your seat. Of course the vendors are there, skim ice, popcorn, candy, empanadas, it's very nice, and free! Hope to see some more of you there. I'm the Gringo with the dominican wife and two kids, tatoo on left forearm. Say Hi, Introduce yourself please. :cool:

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
What is skim ice? I am trying to translate it and cannot find anything I am familiar with in Spanish that translates to skim ice.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Skim ice is the frozen tube of Imitation Juice, that kids love. I forget what we called it back in the states. Freeze Pops maybe? Kool-Aid Pops? 5 pesos, don't let them charge you more than that. Tell them what color you want. The Vendors wear blue jumpsuits and store their goods in a Giant Penguin.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
GEEZ, do I have to do everything?

POPSICKLES! fer crissakes!! Sheesh! No youth? No making little rafts out of popsickle sticks?

Actually, the skim ice stuff is just a fancy "Yun-Yun" or Snow Cone

The Dominican onomstopoeia "yun-yun" is the sound the scraper makes as it goes over the ice. Those Penguin guys have just eliminated the scrapers...

(FYI: Dominican street yun-yuns are the best way to lose weight: Almost guaranteed to give you serious bowel infections that will result in major use of TP and "the facilities." ) :D:D:D

HB:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:
POPSICKLES! fer crissakes!! Sheesh! No youth? No making little rafts out of popsickle sticks?
I always thought of them as ice lollies.

(FYI: Dominican street yun-yuns are the best way to lose weight: Almost guaranteed to give you serious bowel infections that will result in major use of TP and "the facilities." ) :D:D:D
Can't be more dangerous than Apu's Squishees. :classic: It depends where you buy them, the street is not a good choice.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
En el cibao, anyway...

If it's in a narrow plastic wrap, it's an esquimalito, aka "freezie."

If it's on a stick, it's a paleta, aka "popsickle."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Philistines, the lot of you!

Who put the 'k' in popsicle, anyway?

Frozen snacks aside, I was the other known DR1er in the crowd. The question remains, was the RD$10 I paid for the popcorn a 'gringo'* price?

*with apologies to the OP ;)

PS Pib, ice lollies, really. It'll be cucumber sandwiches and Earl Grey served on Charles and Camilla commemorative china for afternoon tea next. :laugh:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just a reminder! This post is really about the Puppet Show, A great way to spend the early evening with the kids, Hope to see some more of you there! :classic: