Refrigerators (bring your own?)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
We are planning to spend more and more time in our apartment in Las Terrenas and would like to bring a refrigerator and a gas range (We are actually bringing a truckload of other stuff), but we are concerned about the electric power and power surges and what damages it can cause to the refrigerator. I am under the impression that the refrigerators being sold in the DR are built to withstand this problem. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would really like to bring my own refrigerator since it is much nicer than anything you can buy in Las Terrenas.

Has anyone there brought a refrigerator from the U.S. to the DR and if so, how is it running?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, many of the refrigerators sold here have voltage controls built in to deal with the unreliable electricity. Buy your refrigerator in Nagua and have it brought to Las Terrenas by truck. Nagua not that far away and much larger, so your selection should be better.

Bring you own refrig and you are soon likely to have an expensive piece of junk in your kitchen.

Built in voltage control very important. When you get a tv, make sure it has one, too.

Why are you bringing a gas stove to the DR? Easily obtained here. Buy your refrig and stove at the same place and get a good deal on transporting them to your apartment.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My .02:

Buy it here, buy a Samsung.

Buy it from Distribuidores Corripio.

These fridges work well, they consume very little power (for a fridge) and have a 3 year warrantee.

Power problems in this country are very hard on electronics, especially ones that use heavy inductive loads like refrigerators. Models sold in country well often (not always) be designed with this in mind, or at least have a proven performance record in this harsh electrical environment.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Juniper said:
We are planning to spend more and more time in our apartment in Las Terrenas and would like to bring a refrigerator and a gas range (We are actually bringing a truckload of other stuff), but we are concerned about the electric power and power surges and what damages it can cause to the refrigerator. I am under the impression that the refrigerators being sold in the DR are built to withstand this problem. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would really like to bring my own refrigerator since it is much nicer than anything you can buy in Las Terrenas.

Has anyone there brought a refrigerator from the U.S. to the DR and if so, how is it running?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I brought down a few different kinds of refrigerators from the US. The best advice I can give is "don't bother." Get one of the nice refrigerators sold here in the DR (like the Samsung). They aren't so finicky and can handle the currency "fluctuations" a lot better than their US counterparts.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
MrMike said:
Buy it here, buy a Samsung.

Buy it from Distribuidores Corripio.

These fridges work well, they consume very little power (for a fridge) and have a 3 year warrantee.

Power problems in this country are very hard on electronics, especially ones that use heavy inductive loads like refrigerators. Models sold in country well often (not always) be designed with this in mind, or at least have a proven performance record in this harsh electrical environment.

Ditto...

I'll add that appliances bought here 'in general' do better with the harsh salty climate (lots of salt water around). I brought a Kenmore fridge from the state about 5 years ago and it started rusting around the ice-maker after about 2 years (I get it recondition about every 2 years for a few bucks here...not too bad). I bought a use Samsung fridge in very good condition from a 'compra venta' for a small shack I have in the 'campo' and the thing still works like new and absolutely no rust anywhere.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that Samsung is what you want. Ours has given good service for a number of years.