Help!! Payment for Permission to repair??

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Hi All,

Does anybody out there know anything about a Permiso de Reparacion? This is what the Marina De Guerra tells us we need before we can repair the damage on our own boat. The damage happend with the Cumayasa river disaster in september of last year. We started reparations but now they stopped us and are demanding 47.000 pesos for the permit. When they told us this we got angry and after a little consultation between them they offered us a 5000 peso discount. Any advice welcome !!! Please help !!

C.B.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Not sure about any law along those lines but my family has had it?s run in with the Marina where we paid the fee for temp matricula and the paper work was never filed and our fee disappeared.

Anyways, the boat got a bit damaged at the docks during ruff weather but we didn?t start any repair until we moved the boat to Luperon where we could be far from the eyes of the Marina?So fee or on fee I don?t know but the boat is fixed.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless Ken or someone with real experience

contradicts this, I think it is bullschitt!.
Like having traffic cops ask for a fee to fix my car? No way. Get a lawyer that knows about the local maritime law. Should cost a lot less than what they are asking.

If need be take this to the Ministry of Tourism and raise a stink.

Lousy bastids!

HB :(:(:(:(

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Gringo + boat = money. Fight this, or do just the necessary repairs and sail on to more friendly waters. Puerto Rico is a much better place for repairs.

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Importance of Contacts, once again

Hi all,

Just to let you know the outcome of the fee for the "permiso para reparacion". Once again it shows the importance of 'contacts' in this country!! When I went (again) to pick up the papers which were supposedly ready, I brought a lawyer friend along who owns a restaurant in Samana. As luck had it many of her Generalfriends were standing outside having a chat, including the contralmirante wanting the money. When we joined this little group and I was introduced as a very good friend a very painful look appeared on this guys face, he realized he had lost the downpayment on his new jeepeta. We knew to many people to high up. Quickly papers were signed and on our way we went, without paying one peso !! A large bottle of good whisky will go his way to save a little of his hurt feelings. We still need to work with this guy in the future, better to have him as a friend.

C.B.