Dominican grew up in Montreal helps basketball team

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
CBC Radio One is promoting this news story:

"The Niagara Purple Eagles men's basketball team have made it to the NCAA tournament (March Madness) for the first time in 35 years...thanks in large part to Juan Mendez of Montreal. His family is originally from the Dominican Republic. He's one of 13 children, grew up with next to nothing except strong family values from his mother...and a milk crate basket mounted on a pole in an alley near his home in Little Burgundy in Montreal. Juan hopes to make it to the NBA so he can help his family. Meet him this week on The Inside Track Sunday afternoon at 1:30 (2:00 NT; 4:30 PT) on CBC Radio One."

http://www.purpleeagles.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2711

http://www.purpleeagles.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2707

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/prog...startTime=13:30

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I know this family and am very excited for them! I love the way they have preserved their Dominican culture here in Montreal and they are very nice people to boot.

Felicidades!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A Montealer....yeah!

This is definitely a stepping stone! All the best to Juan and his team.

-Lesley D-

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummmmmmmmm

I wonder if he is a good "tipper" ?

Sorry, souldn't resist the temptation.

There will be several Dominicans at the Big Dance this year. Louisville is in for sure.

Good luck Purple Eagles....

HB :D:D

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
What ever happend to Felipe Lopez?

The guy just dropped off the face of the earth! I ve seen Juan play twice and to be honest he is a little bit short for a big man in the NBA but hes a scoring machine! I just hope that when (if?) he makes it to the pros that he keeps his head on straight. I think if he makes it he will work his *** off to stay there unlike F. lopez. His family values and upbringing in Montreal is a huge asset for him. I would say that Felipe is probably back in the street of NY wasting what little money he has left. What a waste!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Felipe Lopez

He had a very bad injury and I too have wondered what happened to him. I am a little more optimistic about his fate, though. If anyone knows, please post.

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Felipe Lopez is playing for this oscure ABA, it is like AAA in baseball, from there he is trying to make jump back to the NBA, I believe he is playing in California.... :bandit:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Felipe was playing for the Long beach Jam in Cali , but he is now in france .as for Dominicans playing Ncaa basketball , there are many, the most known ones are Francisco Garcia at Lousville , Sammy Mejia at Depaul,Charlie Villanueva at UConn , Dominick Mejia at N.C State , and whole lot more of them out there if you want a comlete list you can go to LatinBasket.com .There you can go to a section dedicated to Dominican Basketball .They also have a list of all dominicans playing abroad .To get info on the players you have to register for it and pay ,but if you really want to know the players you can go to thier college team website and you can find out what you wanne know

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
As a Niagara Alum myself, I couldn't be prouder of my Dominican bretheren. Although Niagara has no shot against Oklahoma, it is still our first trip to the dance since 1970.
For those with satellite and interest, Niagara's game will be on at 12:40pm est on Thursday.

More realistically is Garcia from Louisville, not only can they have a long tourney run, but Garcia could be a top 10 pick in this summer's NBA draft.

As for Felipe Lopez, I saw him last year doing NBA telecasts in spanish for Telemundo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Niagra lost big time. But they were in the dance!

`There were 6 Dominicans in the Dance according to the Listin Diario.

Gonzaga is a #3 Seed and Louisville and Florida are solid programs. Conn is also a strong team and so is Pitt.. Even Texas might by the first round..

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
The numbers will only increase...

I recently watched the public school league basketball tournaments in NYC and was remarking to some friends how many Latino's in general (predominantly Dominican) were represented on the teams. 10 years ago they were a rarity, now up and down the North-East they are makeing their mark. It won't be long before they start makeing a mark in the NBA as well.

Ian

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I wonder if he is a good "tipper" ?

Sorry, souldn't resist the temptation.

There will be several Dominicans at the Big Dance this year. Louisville is in for sure.

Good luck Purple Eagles....

Not pulling for the Mountaineers?

I picked Okla. St. over N.C. in the finals in my pool. :confused:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Yes Niagara got their clocks cleaned as expected, but had it close at halftime only down 3. As for Mendez he helped his stock tremendously. He had 22pts and 16reb against a solid Division 1 school. Although more than likely he won't be drafted, he should at least get invites from some NBA teams. Toronto would be silly not to be one of those inviting him.

Garcia and Louisville are slated to play at 7:10pm est this evening for those interested. Villanueva and UConn play at 2:45pm est.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
NY1 said:
Yes Niagara got their clocks cleaned as expected, but had it close at halftime only down 3. As for Mendez he helped his stock tremendously. He had 22pts and 16reb against a solid Division 1 school. Although more than likely he won't be drafted, he should at least get invites from some NBA teams. Toronto would be silly not to be one of those inviting him.

Garcia and Louisville are slated to play at 7:10pm est this evening for those interested. Villanueva and UConn play at 2:45pm est.

He probably will not get drafted ,but dont be surprised if you see him playing in Spain or Italy (the better and higher paying leagues).In which if it goes good for him there he could creep into the NBA.He wouldnt be the first to do that either,Carlos Arroyo(didnt go to europe but played in PR and got drafted from there) to name one out of many.

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
francisco garcia

this bronx bomber and louisville are on to the final four even though he fouled out today against west virginia with 5 minutes left to play. if his next game is going to be on dominican tv, let me know pls.