Safe for a woman to run alone?

travelchickvill

Jan 11, 2005
I am going to be staying at the Playa Dorado Grande in April. I am a runner and love to explore new areas while running. Is it generally safe for a woman to run alone, even if away from the resort? I do this without thinking twice anywhere else I vacation. Is it any different here! Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Playa Dorada complex is huge, including an 18 hole golf course, many hotels, and the beach. You should be able to run to your heart's content. Outside the gates is the highway that runs between Sosua and Puerto Plata. You could run along it safe from everything but Dominican traffic (including 3 lanes on a 2-lane road). Better to stay inside for your runs.

gatamayo

Feb 16, 2005
I agree

You're better off staying inside the hotel grounds. Wandering outside is like being in a real life GTA video game.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can probably work out a three or four

kilometer run. Maybe more. Using the sidewalks and then the fairways, you can get in a great run. You could probably run around the entire complex, maybe 2 or 3 kilometers, by staying on the pavement, out the front gate to the left and back in the back gate. That will put you against traffic so you can see what is coming. Lot of runners up there so you might find some running buddies.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

HB :D ( Who wishes he could run once around there!)

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Good jog

Playa Dorado Grande-what? In feb. did a trip round the entire complex, starting at Club on the Green. Down the road to hole #11 then left up the beach. Just before the "clothing shacks" (Jack Tar) hang another left. This puts you at the green of #6. Go right on the cart path- will take you back to the clubhouse. Takes about 45min. You can extend this another mile by hanging a right when you hit the road at the beginning of #5 and going out to the main highway then left. Will bring you back into the other side of the complex. HB- NOW do you understand how I walk 18 at your course?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
travelchickvill said:
I am going to be staying at the Playa Dorado Grande in April. I am a runner and love to explore new areas while running. Is it generally safe for a woman to run alone, even if away from the resort? I do this without thinking twice anywhere else I vacation. Is it any different here! Thanks!

You should be safe. Just be prepared to stay strong about the sankification. Your only fear should be the sankies otherwise it's very safe. They have guards all over and politur patrolling the premisses (tourism police). Good luck,

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
no need for that reply is there?

stallion said:
You should be safe. Just be prepared to stay strong about the sankification. Your only fear should be the sankies otherwise it's very safe. They have guards all over and politur patrolling the premisses (tourism police). Good luck,

this is someone looking for help.... ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
yes kids are important to me and baseball

stallion said:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37343

Stick to little boys and baseball. And mind your own business. What I was saying was helpfull. It's true everthing is safe besides the sankies gropping all women in playa dorada. You know nothing just read and obsorb.

and funny how you always bring up sankies and no one else does....butt i know you JUST WANT TO HELP NICE GUY. ;)

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hey sankies are major headlines here. They are the well spoken about on the forum and they are the first ones to greet all wowen visiting the DR tourism areas. I have noticed you not reading well I am not the only one that brings up sankies here, just read azb's, miguels and MR. DR and the rest of DR1. JUst use your search tool and type sankie and you will see that I am the person to least talk about sankies here. So get your story straight oldman.

travelchickvill

Jan 11, 2005
stallion said:

I have to admit, I've never heard the term "sankies" before. From the context of the messages,I think I get the picture. I'm rather oblivious to those around me when I'm running with my headphones blaring. I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the warning though.