two questions

seductress

Mar 12, 2005
i know that tourism is a big industry in the dr...
but does that mean that the DR is in need of alot of tour guides? and how much is usually their salary? can it support a single person financially?

another question. can you find flatmates in DR? and if so... can you trust them? like can i be sure they wont steal money from me or something, were there any cases like this? also what kind of flats would be common for flatmates to live in? im thinking of one in the boca chica area.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
As said, working as a tourguide is not going to pay your bills. You also need to be Spanish speaking, know at least 1 -2 languages in addition. You need to be licenced.
Some of the companies working with and arranging excursions, also demand you have a residency or simular, i.e you cannot work on a touristvisa.

Many, many seem to think Dominican Republic is a mecca or is searching for labour, and foreign labour, in tourism. And I dont understand this.
There is a huge unemployemt in the Dominican Republic, the employers can pick and if they would like, be picky..
The foreigners who run companies in the tourism business, get drowned in emails and get visits from tourists several times a week that have desided to stay and that look for work.

All these jobs are with very, very low salary, or only commission based if it is in sales. If you dont know Spanish, dont know the culture and the country, you have no chance to live on money like that.
Then you say, but the Dominicans can, so I can.
Keep in mind, the guides are young, they have the security net of having family and relatives, long time friends around them. They have completely other costs of living than you would have.

The hotels have only ( almost only ) local staff, the excursions guides etc are local, the offices of tourcompanies have a mixed staff, and many companies are runned and owned by foreigners who have imigrated to the island.
The foreigners working here, doing the office work, are often people who live here permanently, who have families here, who are billingual etc etc.

I understand it would be wonderful to work in tourism on the island, but it is not a reality.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Tour guides are as common as sugar cane is to the fields.

Some of the dirty linen is that a tour guide can expect long uneven daily working hours; skewed work schedules, too many days or too few days; and low pay. There is a possibility you get paid when the company feels like paying you or you don't get paid at all. Getting fired without getting paid is not uncommon here. Some guides are forced to hold down two jobs to pay the house bills.

Regards,
PJT

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
And also, if you would agree to work on these terms, low salary and you have the skills and licence needed etc you need to live here to even have a small chance to be hired, not employed.
Noone bothers to hire people who are not here yet, or who dont live here.
Most companies also have a few weeks "unpaid training" where you need to work full hours as well.

Tourism is big here, sure in some areas and in some views. Hopefully it grows even bigger in all aspects. But it does not mean companies are looking for foreigners to do a work the local people can do anyway.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
carina said:
As said, working as a tourguide is not going to pay your bills. You also need to be Spanish speaking, know at least 1 -2 languages in addition. You need to be licenced.

Actually this is a very interesting question, I just returned from Brazil and I am in the process of developing a travel portal for Rio. I was comparing the tourism in Brazil to DR. I was very impressed with the tour guides in Brazil they were very knowledgeable and were able to do the tour in various languages. They were licensed and they wore their ID at all times. I have never taken a tour in DR, maybe I should so I can compare fairly.

But I am very curious about this subject so those with experience please let me know how well you think the tour guides in DR are prepare. How well they handle the language they use for the tour and if they need to be licensed.

Lina