Building House in Lomas Mironas...maybe ? SERVICES ?

MrM

Mar 14, 2005
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about building a largish house on a lot I got in Lomas Mironas,
I haven't been to DR for over a year....

...me stupid ??

What do you know about the services in Lomas Mironas? any help is greatly appreciated and may get rewarded .... ;)

Telephone lines ?
ADSL, what companies ? quality ?
Cable TV, what programs, weblink ?
Internet by cable TV ?
Wire Less internet (radiolink) ?
3G cellphone internet, speed, quality ?
Satellite 2 way internet, speed, cost ...

Water supply from wells, enough year around ? clean ?

I read the new section has piped water, is that correct ?

....and MOST IMPORTANT seems like...:
Security there now ? same guys as before, how good are they ?

How many people live in Lomas now, any recent incidents ?

As an alternative,
What does lots cost in Hacienda El Choco now, monthly fees ?

If you can recommend any architects, builders please feel free to let
me know how they performed for you/your friends, price etc.

And finally,
What is the latest on electricity in the area, how many hours down/day ?

Thanks a Million !!

MrM

You can answer to jcart(a)talk21.com if you prefer...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
MrM said:
Hi everyone,

Well that would put you in the same position of many others. There are about 10 houses in construction now and about 5 new houses have been completed in the last 6 months.
I hope to start a new home there myself in the near future. I bought G7 and G8 with combined 5500 meters up on top on the left in the new section and have started infrastructure. Planta caseta complete with 40 Kilo Planta, cistern, fenced and a ton of landscaping so far.
MrM said:
...me stupid ??
Perhaps, only time will tell.
Too early to say if you are a genious or a goat. The developer of the project has a poor track record and you can look at Costa Azul and Perla Marina to see projects gone bad which he has done for a record. Seems as the only control they exert are for power and to be petty. There is a just completed home painted in Discoteca Electric Blue. (This is my Hatiano gardeners description) They made me take down 2 blocks in my planta caseta when I was building it in height. This is after the person who works for them told me that there was nothing I needed to do to build this. She then changed her mind and said she said nothing of the sort. This cost her a lot of money already and a lot more in the future. Some people just don't understand doing business in a businesslike manner.
MrM said:
What do you know about the services in Lomas Mironas? any help is greatly appreciated and may get rewarded .... ;)
I am not up to date on what is available but I can check for you. What are you giving for rewards? That will help me decide on the level of help you get! I prefer and in this order, money, cars, airplanes, unsafe sex with beautiful women and a good meal.

MrM said:
Telephone lines ?
Internet by cable TV ?
I will answer the ones I know about. Cable TV is available and I was told that they are now pushing Cable modems for internet. One of the Newbies in Lomas operates wireless radiolink in Europe and is talking about making this available in Lomas in the near future. You have Orange GSM and Verizon CDMA working in Lomas. Verizon is newly working I guess because of a new tower somewhere but before that Orange was the only one.

MrM said:
Water supply from wells is enough year around and it is cleaner than the water in town that is pumped in but either needs filtering or bottled water to drink.
MrM said:
No unless there is something somewhere I don't know about.

MrM said:
At the moment there is very little security. There was a German that was running it and isn't anymore. Don't know who is or if anyone is at the moment. There are people in Lomas that have formed a club to deal with security, garbabe, backup power at night in the streets and more. If this doesn't work throughout because of people not going along and contributing with it there is a strong group on the top that is going to do it for themselves and move the gate up as well.
MrM said:
There are about 25 homes presently and a bunch in construction. No incidents in the last year that I know of.

MrM said:
As an alternative,
2500 a year are the costs and price is 150k and up. These are resales. I am thinking of buying in there also.

MrM said:
I just hired Lissa from this board to do my home plans. I dont know about performance yet but I like her and trust her. Her pricing is competitive and I am happy about that. We are discussing another job already. I will let you know about performance as the job progresses.

MrM said:
And finally,
Not sure about Lomas but in El Batey we are using our generator about 6 hours a day now on average. We were down to 2 hours one month but the government is screwing around again buy not. paying their bills. When they don't pay bills their bills they don't need dollars. Hence the dollar is about 28.40 now.

MrM said:
Thanks a million !!
I will raise you 2 million.

MrM said:
I sent you email in case you want to take it there.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I have just been informed the other day that there is now the possibility to get a phone line in Lomas Mironas. Verizon is hooking up my new neighbours house. Also been told of lots of new construction going on. Heading down next week.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have seen the electric blue house and it's nasty!
Great ref point if your planning a parachute drop :)

MrM

Mar 14, 2005
Thankyou, Follow up !

Hi Scott and everyone !!!

Thankyou so much for your answers !

Scott , good meal is not a problem but you didn't mention a good drink ??? why ??

SECURITY in Lomas Mironas:
YOU MEAN that the 2 guys 24 hours with shotguns are not there anymore ??????????????
The developer is still collecting the fees for vacant land ... to what, to who does that go ?? and what is the fee for house owners in Lomas now ?

I need to get in touch with that "club" that you mentioned in Lomas,
and especially the "strong group", thx

you mentioned:
Orange GSM and Verizon CDMA, does any of these have 3G high speed internet ? price ?

twhitehead, anything you find out on your visit is appreciated,
if I could ge in touch with your neighbour it would be good, abut the phone
connection process...

Thanks !
MrM

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
No I have a villa in Lomas that is currently rented out. Will be lmoving down next summer if all goes according to plan. Off to Playa Grande on Sat for a week of golf.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Looks like we will be neighbors. I checked on the phones today and it seems as if ONE person paid to have ONE telephone line brought in from Haciendas El Choco.

You on the top or bottom? I put 2 lots together on the top and will build there. Working on plans now.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
MrM said:
Hi Scott and everyone !!!

Thankyou so much for your answers !

Scott , good meal is not a problem but you didn't mention a good drink ??? why ??

Contrary to popular belief I am not a big drinker. I do wear flip flops though:)

MrM said:
SECURITY in Lomas Mironas:
YOU MEAN that the 2 guys 24 hours with shotguns are not there anymore ??????????????
The developer is still collecting the fees for vacant land ... to what, to who does that go ?? and what is the fee for house owners in Lomas now ?/QUOTE]

I have no idea where it goes but at the present time there are NO SERVICES in Lomas Mironas. The developer in my opinion has failed miserably with the project. Only hope is if this club takes over which is what I am hoping for. The developer also did Perla Marina which if a pipe breaks in the complex NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE TO REPAIR IT. An owner and poster here told me that HE and a neighbor fixed the pipe in the road once because they had no water. Fellow developing the front provides a manned gate in the front and manned gates into his area he has built in. Other than this guy no one pays a nickle in Perla Marina for any services so the place looks that way in my opinion.

I am just glad prices on the North Coast have increased so I can make money when and if I sell.

MrM said:
I need to get in ltouch with that "club" that you mentioned in Lomas,
and especially the "strong group", thx

you mentioned:
Orange GSM and Verizon CDMA, does any of these have 3G high speed internet ? price ?
I saw Alex this morning and of course he followed this thread. I asked him to pop you a message to answer questions. Alex is a real nice fellow and a very capable man. Too bad he wasn't the developer although the developer is a nice man but drops the ball on important things and runs with the petty things.:)

I believe your best bet is emailing Orange who has the better service in Lomas I believe. I actually will check the strenght meter on my phone tomorrow on my verizon phone. Perhaps the signal is strong there now with that. I have no troubles making calls there now so maybe they have put in a nearby tower.

MrM said:
twhitehead, anything you find out on your visit is appreciated,
if I could ge in touch with your neighbour it would be good, abut the phone
connection process...

Thanks !
MrM
See my message above.

Scott

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Escott said:
Looks like we will be neighbors. I checked on the phones today and it seems as if ONE person paid to have ONE telephone line brought in from Haciendas El Choco.

You on the top or bottom? I put 2 lots together on the top and will build there. Working on plans now.

Escott

I am in section E

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Got back on Sunday from my visit. Had a chance to see the blue house - what are they thinking? Phone line has been installed and is operational which is good news. Checked out your lot Escott - very nice - you sure are going to have some nice landscaping. Could not believe the amount of new construction since last visits in Nov and Dec. Security at gate was non-existant. Arranged for some polmagranite trees - my wifes favourite. Got four rounds in at Playa Grande - what a course. Counting down the days....t

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
twhitehead said:
Got back on Sunday from my visit. Had a chance to see the blue house - what are they thinking? Phone line has been installed and is operational which is good news. Checked out your lot Escott - very nice - you sure are going to have some nice landscaping. Could not believe the amount of new construction since last visits in Nov and Dec. Security at gate was non-existant. Arranged for some polmagranite trees - my wifes favourite. Got four rounds in at Playa Grande - what a course. Counting down the days....t
Did you get to see Alex the fellow who is putting the club together? Have you been in contact with him?

I am in NY since Monday and will be here till the 5th of April.

Regards

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Not sure about if the quality is good enough for DSL - not even sure what quality is needed for this since I am not much of a techie. As well did not get a chance to meet Alex since I was only at Lomas for one afternoon and had many things to accomplish. Fished around for some more info on the proposed golf course but found out nothing concrete. Sure lots happening there which is very positive in my mind...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
There is so much building going on that it makes you feel like something is breaking there. Perhaps the Golf course is going to happen and perhaps not but there is still a ton of stuff going on there. Every street has new construction.

I will ask chad if he has a DSL connection. Got me real curious!

Escott

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
True

All true, I have finally cracked the Verizon shell. In fact this email is being sent to you from inside the Lomas Mironas walls.(haha)
The connection is dial up and when the people at Cen 21 heard we had a line they said it was not possible so as of now to get hooked up is at your own expense. Well worth the cost!
Any other queston or concerns that I may be of assistance just give me a ring or stop me on the street. I feel like a star seeing my name in lights without knowing.
Peace in the middle EAST!
Lomas Mironas forever!!!!

Escott said:
There is so much building going on that it makes you feel like something is breaking there. Perhaps the Golf course is going to happen and perhaps not but there is still a ton of stuff going on there. Every street has new construction.

I will ask chad if he has a DSL connection. Got me real curious!

Escott

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Quake

I just heard on CNN Live that a 8.0 earthquake hit Lomas Mironas and only Lomas Mironas. Does anyone know if the tennis club survived?
Worried Neighbor

MrM said:
Hi everyone,

...me stupid ??

Telephone lines ?
Internet by cable TV ?

As an alternative,

And finally,

Thanks a Million !!

MrM

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
chadverizon said:
All true, I have finally cracked the Verizon shell. In fact this email is being sent to you from inside the Lomas Mironas walls.(haha)
The connection is dial up and when the people at Cen 21 heard we had a line they said it was not possible so as of now to get hooked up is at your own expense. Well worth the cost!
Any other queston or concerns that I may be of assistance just give me a ring or stop me on the street. I feel like a star seeing my name in lights without knowing.
Peace in the middle EAST!
Lomas Mironas forever!!!!
Hey Chad, can you get DSL on that phone line?

Thanks,
Scott