Car rental prices

trulte

Apr 10, 2003
We are going to stay in DR for two months, with a base in Santo Domingo. We are wondering to rent a car for much, or a part of this time, but of cause this depends much what it would cost us.

Any ideas where to find a cheap car to rent. And how much would we have to expect to pay?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You should contact one of the bigger companies as Avis or National ahead of time in your country and negotiate a deal for two months.
I heard from several people that you get a real better deal that way.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
If you rent from a major US rental company, I don't think you'll do much better than $180-200 per week, plus taxes (16%), airport fee (7%), and insurance. This would be for a sub-compact, manual transmission, with air. You may find a better deal from a local company (Although, I'm not sure how reliable the car might be). Driving in the DR is another story (I'm sure there's a thread somewhere).

trulte

Apr 10, 2003
I do not need a fancy car with AC and everything. All I am looking for is a normal car, who won,t break bown in the middle of the road somewhere.

I have lived in DR earlier, and my husband is dominican, so we are well aweare how the driving works there. Renting a car is safer than the motos and an overcrowdwd gua gua at least, aspessialy since we will bring a small child with us

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I am not an expert on renting in the DR, but my exp has (I've rented a grand total of 5 times :classic:) been that local companies are willing to give you a better deal, esp if you start counting the money in front of their eyes... go by a few and ask for their best offer, take that to their competitors... well you know how it works..

I would say expect around 20-25 us$ for a small compact car (Toyota corolla) per day.. for a week that would come to around US$ 140 - 175 a week including insurance (but with a deductible) and taxes.. it might be slightly less if you start renting for two months..

I myself pay US$ 40-45 (depending upon the season) a day for a Honda CRV including everything because I like to have the added security of a jeepeta over a small car.. this would represent a saving of 100% on the prices quoted by the majors.. but I rent from a small company in Cabarete..