Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Bookstore in Santo Domingo

Name: Librería Cuesta
    Location: Sto.Domingo Ave. 27 de Febrero Esq. Abraham Lincoln

Reason Why?: Whenever I visit SD I spend most of my spare time browsing and buying books of all kinds. The store has a wide variety of books in all categories by both local and foreign authors i.e. novels, politics, history, self-help, pedagogical, language instruction etc. The bookstore is extremely diverse and I find the prices very reasonable (especially since most of the books are imports). The store itself is very spacious and has a sit down café. I have not seen any other bookstore comparable to Librería Cuesta in SD. I don't know what I would do without this bookstore.

Here is the link to their website:

www.libreriacuesta.com
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 03-14-2005 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Formatting

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley D
    Name: Librería Cuesta
    Location: Sto.Domingo Ave. 27 de Febrero Esq. Abraham Lincoln

Reason Why: Whenever I visit SD I spend most of my spare time browsing and buying books of all kinds. The store has a wide variety of books in all categories by both local and foreign authors i.e. novels, politics, history, self-help, pedagogical, language instruction etc. The bookstore is extremely diverse and I find the prices very reasonable (especially since most of the books are imports). The store itself is very spacious and has a sit down café. I have not seen any other bookstore comparable to Librería Cuesta in SD. I don't know what I would do without this bookstore.

Here is the link to their website:

www.libreriacuesta.com
    I concur with you, but if second bests are permitted then I would like to add Thesaurus to the list. I also like their coffee.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Pib,

Thanks! This bookstore seems like another gem. I will definitely go there.

-LDG-

Quote Originally Posted by Pib

Post Thanks / Like

Default Runner up

New Horizons bookshop in Bella Vista Mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Chiri,

Can you give some details about this book store please. I searched for a website online but I could not find anything under this name in SD. Are they comparable to: 1) Librería Cuesta and 2) Thesaurus

Thanks.

-Lesley D-

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya
    New Horizons bookshop in Bella Vista Mall.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 03-14-2005 at 06:55 PM. Reason: syntax

Post Thanks / Like

It's much smaller than Cuesta and Thesaurus but has more books in English, and not bad for children's books. The English sections in Cuesta and Thesaurus are erratic at best. NH also has a coffee shop in the Bella Vista Mall branch. The other branch is part of New Horizons School, also on Ave. Sarasota.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya
    The other branch is part of New Horizons School, also on Ave. Sarasota.
    Chirimoya,

Is that the one close to the Delta Hotel??? If yes, than it is pretty good for English books. And when I was there, they offered to order books for me, in case they didn't have it in stock. Nice and helpful staff!

/John

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default University bookshops???

Where do students in Santo Domingo buy their books?

Universities can have some very good bookshops! I remember when I was in Brighton, England, I went to the University just to visit the bookshop. It has a very good selection of classical literature.

Or maybe the Santo Domingo students go to Libreria Cuesta, Thesaurus and New Horizons?

Suppose a student of English is looking for poetry by Byron? Where can he/she buy such books?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager
    Where do students in Santo Domingo buy their books?
    They go to those bookstores, those are the major ones, if they don't have it then you're out of luck and probably have to order it online.

I can tell you about INTEC because I study there, they don't have a bookstore. In the state university (UASD) there is what is called ECONOMATO DE LA UASD, you can find certain things at a better price but is far from being a real bookstore (not a wide selection and is mostly college's type books)

For english books the best is the New Horizons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast