Best 24 Hour Restaurant In Santo Domingo

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Name: Manolo's
Location: On Independencia,across from the back entrance to the Jaragua Hotel.
Reason why?
"Italian/Int./Dom." foods.Reasonable prices.Great selection,and great food!
Snacks,soups,meals,deserts.
I love the chicken soup,chicken "cordon blu",fried chicken tenders served with "tostones",Spagetti Carbonara,everything.Great salads,and gread garlic bread (Served HOT!)Try their potato salad!
Lots of families and couples before 1 am,later,after 2 or 3,lots of "working ladies" having a bite before going home.Means they didn't "score" that night.Might be just what you wanted for your "DESERT!"You can negotiate a "Special" if you want!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Name: Manolo's
Location: On Independencia,across from the back entrance to the Jaragua Hotel.
Reason why?
"Italian/Int./Dom." foods.Reasonable prices.Great selection,and great food!
Snacks,soups,meals,deserts.
I love the chicken soup,chicken "cordon blu",fried chicken tenders served with "tostones",Spagetti Carbonara,everything.Great salads,and gread garlic bread (Served HOT!)Try their potato salad!
Lots of families and couples before 1 am,later,after 2 or 3,lots of "working ladies" having a bite before going home.Means they didn't "score" that night.Might be just what you wanted for your "DESERT!"You can negotiate a "Special" if you want!!

My mouth is watering just from reading this.....gotta make a trip there when I go down in 2 weeks.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
The food, man......those desserts I can get whenever I want ;) , besides, there aren't any Dominican food places in Southern Virginia, this is Republican country

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
This is the Manolo out back behind the Juragua? Right? Every person I know that has ever eaten there has gotten sick. No exceptions. Maybe they just had bad luck, or CC has a stomache of steel?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Eaten The Food,or the "Special Deserts"???

You have to develope a tollerance I guess! :lick: :lick: :lick: :classic:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
24 hour restaurants

Criss Colon said:
You have to develope a tollerance I guess! :lick: :lick: :lick: :classic:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

They frighten me because I never like to be a captive audience. I've had the misfortune to dine at Manolo. I did not get sick, but I did not especially enjoy the food - just a matter of taste (see my post about "best restaurant"). What especially displeased me was the surly and dismissive attitude of the service staff. I sensed a vibe of "if you don't like it, where are you going to go?" Answer: Paco's at Indepedence Park is nearby, as well as Dumbo. For me, that is like having to choose between the measles, mumps, or chicken pox.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
we got sick too!!

rafael said:
This is the Manolo out back behind the Juragua? Right? Every person I know that has ever eaten there has gotten sick. No exceptions. Maybe they just had bad luck, or CC has a stomache of steel?

this resturant WAS good at one time but now the prices are outrageous, the food is horrible, and the staff is more than just arrogant. It must rub off, the owner is more than JUST arrogant...his wife runs a close second ....they have that ?We are white so we must be right attitude...
take a look at that place during the DAY...IT IS A DUMP....and the kitchen looks filthy.....GREAT LOCATION..HORRIBLE RESTURANT...HORRIBLE SERVICE

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Guess I Need To Get Out More!!!

Since it has been over a year since I ate there,I will go back soon and see if my original post still stands! I'll let you know! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Criss

It looks like you eat out a lot. Let me ask you, what is the overall attitude you get at DR restaurants? I mean on my last trip and all others for that matter, most of the places I went the service was horrible, staff treated me like crap even though I was being extremely nice to them and friendly. Did they take this as an insult? There is one were I was treated very well and this was the one hanging from the malecon reef they serve mofongo there, i do not know the name.

In short, I guess dominican restaurants are not service oriented. In contrast, restaurant here in Buenos Aires, my god, if the food is not good at least the service makes up for it. All restaurants here I am treated extremely nice.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
It has definitely changed ...

Was there back in February, and I have to say that the service was a bit spotty. I try to eat there everytime I visit the DR, which is about once a year. Anyhow, noticed a bit different attitude this time around. E.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican Restaurants Have VERY VERY POOR SERVICE!

Worst I have ever seen in the World!
Waiters are poorly paid in most of the World,but in the DR,they let you know it!!!
You come in,sit down,and WAIT!
You ask for a menu,and wait.You order,and wait.
SOME of your food arrives,and you wait.
you ask for the rest of your food,and wait.you finish you meal,and wait.
the REST of your food comes,and you wait.you say you are not paying for the food that arrived AFTER you finished eating,and you wait.they bring you the check for ALL the food,and you wait.They send the manager who wants to argue with you about the food that did,or didn't arrive,and did,or didn't get eaten,and you wait.
Then you wait some more.
they bring the "wrong" check 2 or 3 times and you wait.
You pay,then you wait for the change.
They add a 15 % service charge,and expect another 10%?
I get much better service from the lady and her daughter who sell "Jonnicakes" & juice near my house!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Un yani, por favor....

Criss Colon said:
I get much better service from the lady and her daughter who sell "Jonnicakes" & juice near my house!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Those folks give great service and they give you yaniqueques with whatever you want........I want an empanada right now. Un Yani y un juguito por favor :lick: :classic:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
arturo said:
What especially displeased me was the surly and dismissive attitude of the service staff. I sensed a vibe of "if you don't like it, where are you going to go?"
I had the same feeling when I used to eat there.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
It's a cultural difference, guys. One of things I have learned that while I view most dinning as eat and go, they view it as a social event. Your average person in DR do not dine out as often and would be offended if you rushed their experience. Try eating at the bar next time. I have found the service for counter dinning to be comparable to the other countries.

Cut them a little slack. Often, they are trying to be polite!
TEHAMA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We Know The Difference!! Please Give Us Some Credit!!

I have enjoyed MANY 3 or 4 hour dining experiences in the DR!
We DO realize we are NOT at "Burger King",or even "Denny's", when we dine in the DR! We know the difference between being given time to not only enjoy our food and wine,but also the good conversations between friends!Being served "Cold Soup" in the name of "Politeness"is a rediculous premis!
YOU can eat at the BAR,I prefer to eat in the dining room,and still recieve good servive.No one said FAST.
So give US a little slack,this is not our first day in the "Big City"!

And as a matter-of-fact,I think that dominicans eat more meals outside the home than Americans do!It's not nice to be condesending!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Well, then its pretty obvious.

They simply dont like you! And probably wished you would stop dinning there. I wouldn't want to deal with pushy, demanding, and obnoxious people either. :tired:
TEHAMA

Last edited:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Criss Colon said:
I prefer to eat in the dining room,and still recieve good servive.No one said FAST.

You come in,sit down,and WAIT!
You ask for a menu,and wait.You order,and wait.
SOME of your food arrives,and you wait.
you ask for the rest of your food,and wait.you finish you meal,and wait.
the REST of your food comes,and you wait.you say you are not paying for the food that arrived AFTER you finished eating,and you wait.they bring you the check for ALL the food,and you wait.They send the manager who wants to argue with you about the food that did,or didn't arrive,and did,or didn't get eaten,and you wait.
Then you wait some more.

OH MY!! Those were your own words in earlier post? hmmm. So exactly which is it...you like waiting and dinning for 3-4 hours or you don't? Manolo's is a hit or miss with the food (my opinnion), but the wait staff has always been attentive to me.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's BOTH!!......Part of what you are paying for when you dine

in a restaurant is SERVICE. The service that you want! If you tell the waiter,"I only have time for soup and a salad tonight,please bring them as soon as you can please",then that is what I expect.If I don't get what I ask for,I complain.
If I go out with friends,and the dinner is the night's "Entertainment",I just sit down and wait to be served.If we wait 30 minutes between the courses,so be it.But I expect the soup to be hot,not warm or cold! I expect more bread to appear as the first basket is emptied,I don't expect to have to ask for butter for that bread.There is absolutely no excuse for the waiter to make a mistake with the order.I expect the waiter to keep the wine and water glasses filled.
I lived at the Hotel Naco fo almost a year.Everymorning I went down to breakfast.Everyday,I ordered a "Cafe con Leche".I asked them many times to just bring me the coffee when I sat down.They could NEVER manage that.Always had to ask,always had to wait,always had to ask for the second cup!
No matter how long we spend having dinner,after the bill is paid,I don't expect to wait more than a few minutes to get my recipt,and credit card returned!!
This type of service,is seldom,if ever available in the DR!
I have lowered my standards and expectations here.

In MOST things!!!

If I get a "WARNING" from Robert for going off thread,it's TeAmo's fault!

Last edited:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I would rather have the soup arrive cold and sent back, than to have the waiter put his finger in my soup! LOL

I too have lowered my dinning standards, but I expected that. Not many cities have a plethora quality fine dinning as say Paris, SF or NYC. As long as it doesnt make me sick. I'm happy.
TEHAMA