Telephone Company's

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
I was just wondering how many telephone company's are there in the dr? is the telecom business very competitive like it is here in the US?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Do you mean regular phones or cellphones?
There are a few, Verizon, Tricom, Orange...

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
There are two hard wired phone companies in DR: Verizon and Tricom. There are two more that only deal in wireless service: Orange (GSM) and Centenial (born out of Hola America). Not all these companies provide service to the whole country. Most service only the most important cities in the country. The only true national company (and the oldest) is Verizon.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tricom had quite low prices before, about over a year ago, now I dont know. At that time, when I asked, they could not provide internet service in any form, so I was basically not asking more then.
How it is now, have no idea...

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Tricom doesn't has 3 lines but in fixed services and cellphone service doesn't has all over the country as Verizon.

Verizon has a mayor number or customers in all kind of services.

Verizon - Fixed, Mobile, Beepers, Internet, Calling Cards
www.verizon.com.do

Tricom - Fixed, Mobile, Beepers, Internet, Calling Cards
www.tricom.net

Centennial - Fixed, Mobile, Internet, Calling cards
www.centennialrd.com

Orange (France Telecom Dominicana) Only Mobil.
www.orange.com.do

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
The reason I was asking about the phone company is I was just wondering how involved it would be to invest in starting a new local/long distance phone company in the dr.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Party_Line said:
The reason I was asking about the phone company is I was just wondering how involved it would be to invest in starting a new local/long distance phone company in the dr.
First you need to be megazillionaire. With luck and hard work in ten years you'll be a millionaire.

Tricom anyone?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I think a big difference between here and the US is the access to the infrastructure. In the US, phone companies are required to provide a customer access to phone service by another company by the customer paying an access charge. Here in the DR, if you want another company besides Vorizon, it has to run a wire from their office to your house. Vorizon does't have to provide access through their wires.