Placido Domingo

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A strange request this, ........

On 22nd January 2004 in Gran Teatro del Cibao, Santiago, Placido Domingo gave a private performance that does not appear to have been recorded .... 'Officially'. Does anyone have any details relating to this performance please & know if there were any "Unofficial" recordings done?

I have been contacted by a "Placido Groupie" (read AVID Fan) that aquires anything & everything that he does or relates to him!! If ANYONE has any information re memorabilia, recording or newspaper cuttings relating to this concert (OR any others he has performed here in the DR) please PM, e-Mail or post here & I will ensure it gets through to her!

HB, ... Where is your choirmaster/Director of music friend???? ~ Grahame

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not sure if it was a "private" concert or not but I do know

he sang Happy Birthday to a VIP lady who was attending that concert! (Her son told us that she was surprised and thrilled by the gesture as it was her birthday and was totally unexpected altho' she personally does acknowledge Placido as an aquaintance!)
If you like I can "inquire" when I next see the son.........

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MommC said:
he sang Happy Birthday to a VIP lady who was attending that concert! (Her son told us that she was surprised and thrilled by the gesture as it was her birthday and was totally unexpected altho' she personally does acknowledge Placido as an aquaintance!)
If you like I can "inquire" when I next see the son.........

I would LOVE you to!! Please, pretty please MommC :lick:

Let me also add here so no one is under any misunderstandings, I am NOT into searching out any form of illegally taped/recorded music :bandit: that comes under copywrite laws, just the ability to follow up any legal way of helping this woman from Austria follow her passion of Placido in the DR!! ~ Grahame

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
A few things to try.....

I'm an inveterate concert-goer and have attended Doming's performances several times at NYC's Metropolitan Opera. I, however, missed his performances in DR (he has sung in both Santo Domgino and Santiago) due to travel schedule. I know that particular private concert took place because I saw an ad for it in the local newspaper, and I know an orchestra member who played on that occasion.

Usually, there are two kinds of recordings:

Legimimate: Certain classical music concerts are recorded/videotaped for later broadcast on DR TV channels. I have seen many broadcast of the concerts which I had attended in person. I dont' know which channels, though. You should inquire with people familiar with DR's TV network. And if you have connection, then perhaps a copy of the tape can be made for you.
A prevous Domingo concert at the Teatro Nacional was subsequently telecast (I saw it a while ago, he sang some popular songs).

Bootlet: Many fans bring their recording devices (usually tucked in their coat pockets or in a bag) to record their favorites performers and then share/trade with fellow enthusiasts. Many of such bootlegs ultimately become high-sought items as they captures the performers live and "unedited", in other words, "warts and all". Because concert-goers in DR tend to be affluent high-society member who treat it as a social event, I doublt many ,if any, engage in such activies. Bootlegging is much more prevalent in US, Europe and Asia, particularly among the younger tech-savvy crowds.

I wish you luck !