Going it alone!

Ben UK

Mar 16, 2005
Hey,

I'm travelling to the DR for two weeks at the beginning of April. I've never been before and am heading out there by myself so have gone for an all inclusive, as I thought that'd be the safest option.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips; where to go? where not to? etc as i don't want to just sit around the hotel complex for two weeks?

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Ben

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Ben

What part of the island will you be visiting?

Daydream

Ben UK said:
Hey,

I'm travelling to the DR for two weeks at the beginning of April. I've never been before and am heading out there by myself so have gone for an all inclusive, as I thought that'd be the safest option.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips; where to go? where not to? etc as i don't want to just sit around the hotel complex for two weeks?

Ben

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Where?

Would you mind telling us all to which resort in what part of the DR you are going? The DR is a bigger place than you think.
Bartolomeo

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Guess what!!

Ben UK said:
Hey,

Ben
If you need sugestions, buddy, you need to give more information, example: Where the AI is located. I, for, one would hate to tell you about a place in Jarabacoa if you are in San Cristobal. Get my point?.

One thing I will do tell you, keep an open mind and mingle with the locals.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My advice is to shelve the All Inclusive. This is a safe place and you may as well go to an all inclusive in Spain and save yourself the plane ride across the world to stay there and not venture into the Dominican Republic because you don't think it is safe.

Scott

Ben UK

Mar 16, 2005
Sorry!

Forgot to mention that bit, I'm stayin in San Juan but want to get about as much as possible. Hotel looks nice and all, but I want to see some of the real DR?

The other thing, how safe is it out there? is it cool to walk round by yourself most places?

Ben

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The only thing I hate about travel to less developed countries is standing on the curb trying to get to the hotel/resort. I think you will be fine. Just make sure to have the appropriate (person or hotel employee) meet you at the airport.

I made that mistake once in Mexico...and will NEVER do it again! I didn't know where he was taking me and if I would make it out alive. And to add, it was a night arrival. A very scarey 40 minute cab ride on a very dark road.
TEHAMA

Dec 9, 2002
The only thing I hate about travel to less developed countries is standing on the curb trying to get to the hotel/resort.
No problem there, he is coming from UK by the looks of his name, so he will be on a charter and will be met by his tour company bus at the airport and taken to the hotel.

Ben, the DR is as safe as anywhere else providing you are sensible. Don't take any risks that you wouldn't do at home. I'd advise you to make friends with one or two of the bartenders and get them to take you drinking/clubbing/sightseeing/whatever at first. Just be careful not to flash too much $$$, don't get too drunk, if you must try out the local "talent" be careful to protect yourself - take condoms from home, dont use the local variety.

Just relax, but keep your wits about you at the same time. You'll have a great time - all your mates will want to go with you next time!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ben UK said:
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips; where to go? where not to?

Unless you've never travelled outside the UK in your life the place not to go is an AI since you could be in any country on earth and not see the culture at all which is by and large the point. Next time, or now, find a town, get a tourist-class hotel, work on a little Spanish and engage the locals as part of tourism. This is not tourism , it is a vacation.

By and large safety does not pose much of an issue inside or out of an AI.

Ben UK

Mar 16, 2005
Thanks for all the feedback! really grateful!

Think I might try and abandon the AI and find local accomodation...whats the deal with hostels and that in DR? Been sort of put off the idea of being in a resort.
Also, what's it like cost wise out there? any clues what sort of budget I'd need for two weeks, or per day? And is there anything imparticular I should definately not miss?

Thanks again for all your help everyone

Ben

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Rio San Juan

Ben UK said:
Sorry!

Forgot to mention that bit, I'm stayin in San Juan but want to get about as much as possible. Hotel looks nice and all, but I want to see some of the real DR?

It must be Rio San Juan on the North Coast that you are heading to.
Plenty of excursion possibilities around, either organized or by yourself:
- Laguna Gri Gri and Playa Grande are right there
- head for Cabarete if you're in to watersports
- Samana peninsula for beautiful beaches and laid back life
- across the mountains to Moca and Santiago, cigar factory, etc
- stroll around quiet Rio San Juan to see real life

Ben UK said:
The other thing, how safe is it out there? is it cool to walk round by yourself most places?

Ben

During daytime it generally is safe to walk around. It also depends on your attitude: if you look like a lost gringo, it's more likely that something is going to happen than if you give the impression that you know where you're going. Before going out, ask some hotel staff for information or read the Rough Guide on the DR or Lonely Planet. Never worry about not being able to get back to your hotel, there are always plenty of possibilities: taxi, taxi publico, motoconcho.
Enjoy it!
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi Ben,
you could use your AI as base, leave most of your luggage there and go for a couple of days to the capital Santo Domingo or to Las Terrenas or Las Galeras on Samana peninsula and then get back.
Get yourself a map of the country or a good guide and prepare a bit beforehand. Public transport is very cheap and well organized.
You can get nice rooms from around $30 in Las Terrenas and a bit more in Santo Domingo.
Bartolomeo