Dumb Sheltered American questions after research

tdotson

Mar 16, 2005
My husband has done some business in the DR, fell in love with the country and the people and would like to relocate the family there from Texas. I have done some research and read the "newbie" posts but still have a few questions:

1. Schools - After research of the schools, I would like to send my kids to either Carol Morgan or ISS. My husband was told that there is an International School in Juan Dolio but I couldn't find a link to it (Villas Del Mar) - maybe it doesn't exist anymore? My children don't speak any Spanish and have been sheltered in their lives - living only in California, Virginia, Florida, and Texas. I would like for them to experience the DR culture but would like the schooling to be a smooth transition. Suggestions? Anything in Juan Dolio or Punta Cana? I found information on CMS and it said $13000 USD up front for enrollment for my 3 children and then $1500/month for all?? I can handle the monthly fee but is this "up front one-time fee" correct?
2. Location/Housing - It seems like the best place for our family would be the Northern Coast (Puerto Plata or Sosua) but my husband wants to purchase in Juan Dolio or Punta Cana. What kind of house would appx $150,000/yr USD buy in each of these places beachfront (actual cost of home, not annual income - annual income will be more)? How many bedrooms/baths? Fencing? Which is the best City for us (Americans who have no experience out of the US) to relocate to? My husband has made good friends in Boca Chica and Santo Domingo but after reading posts on these cities, I would prefer to live elsewhere, more family friendly. My children are 13, 13, and 10. We like the "suburban living" instead of the rat race of city life.
3. Cost of living - How much USD does it cost to hire a driver? Do you provide the vehicle for him/her?

I'm sorry for all of the questions but I am very nervous about leaving my "safe haven" and comfortable lifestyle that I've grown accustomed to but at the same time, I'm ready for the adventure and to have my family experience the culture - I'd just like to be ready for what's ahead and make the best decisions.

Thank you for any tips that you can give me. Take Care.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't aplogize for your questions; they are good questions for somebody in your position. Also, you have already done a lot of research. Most new to the board in a situation like yours would have a list of questions as long as your arm becau9se they didn't do any research on their own.

Not clear from your post is whether you are able to locate anywhere in the country, or if you must be in a particular location because of your husband's business. I don't know the south coast so can't comment about it, but I hve lived on the north coast for 19 years and like it here very much.

You have to decide what you want. If it is Carol Morgan school for your children, then you will have to live in Santo Domingo or very close to it. If it is suburban living, then Sosua/Cabarete would be a good choice.

Very important that before you make your choice you and your family spend some time in the country getting acquainted with the different areas. If you can take the children out of school, then you and your husband come and do the research. If he can't come, then come yourself. I would never recommend to anyone that they pick an area to live in based only on the answers to questions on a message board.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
For what it's worth

My wife and I are currently in the process of relocating, we have 3 sons 15,10,5. After a good deal of research including a few "feel it out" visits, we came to the conclusion that Santiago was the choice for us.

The primary reason was we felt it would provide the best environment for our kids to grow up in. We also wanted to ease the transition regarding schooling, although my wife is Dominican and we do all speak Spanish (the 5 year old understands it, but speaks little at this stage). We have decided on New Horizons for our younger 2 boys for the first year or two.... Our oldest son will be attending a Spanish speaking private school also in Santiago. Santiago seems to have much to offer as far as extracuricular's (sporting events, museums, concerts, a Dominican middle class environment) and places us within easy driving distance to a lot of beautifull nature that we so love.

As for costs I pretty much have the first year or 2 budgeted and would be glad to share, a good portion of it has been gleaned from the veterans of this board (extremely helpfull). The house we have rented will cost us $700 US a month for the first year and a bit more for the 2nd if we don't decide to buy it. It is in a very nice/quiet neighborhood, located close to an excellent University. It has 4 bedrooms, 2 very big living rooms, 4 bathrooms a large terrace (I can't live with out a BBQ) avocado tree, bananna tree etc.

We started out very open minded regarding location and considered the North Coast and some other heavy "tourist" locations, they were beautifull with many helpfull and kind residents but at the end of the day Santiago offered more of what we were looking for as a growing family.

Hope this helps a bit and if you have any other specific questions I'll be glad to share our experiences thus far.

Ian

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
Redscot said:
My wife and I are currently in the process of relocating, we have 3 sons 15,10,5. After a good deal of research including a few "feel it out" visits, we came to the conclusion that Santiago was the choice for us.

The primary reason was we felt it would provide the best environment for our kids to grow up in. We also wanted to ease the transition regarding schooling, although my wife is Dominican and we do all speak Spanish (the 5 year old understands it, but speaks little at this stage). We have decided on New Horizons for our younger 2 boys for the first year or two.... Our oldest son will be attending a Spanish speaking private school also in Santiago. Santiago seems to have much to offer as far as extracuricular's (sporting events, museums, concerts, a Dominican middle class environment) and places us within easy driving distance to a lot of beautifull nature that we so love.

As for costs I pretty much have the first year or 2 budgeted and would be glad to share, a good portion of it has been gleaned from the veterans of this board (extremely helpfull). The house we have rented will cost us $700 US a month for the first year and a bit more for the 2nd if we don't decide to buy it. It is in a very nice/quiet neighborhood, located close to an excellent University. It has 4 bedrooms, 2 very big living rooms, 4 bathrooms a large terrace (I can't live with out a BBQ) avocado tree, bananna tree etc.

We started out very open minded regarding location and considered the North Coast and some other heavy "tourist" locations, they were beautifull with many helpfull and kind residents but at the end of the day Santiago offered more of what we were looking for as a growing family.

Hope this helps a bit and if you have any other specific questions I'll be glad to share our experiences thus far.

Ian

In Santiago, the schools I would recommend for children that do not speak spanish are:

Santiago christian school www.scs.edu.do
New Horizons www.gcnewhorizons.net/colegiox/

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You don't buy a beach front house in either of these places for 150k. You better listen to the advice of others and come here to look.

Last renovated condo in my complex in Sosua on the North Coast sold for over 150k and it isn't on the beach and has 2 bedrooms/2bathrooms. Another smaller one unrenovated sold for 110k.

I am not familiar with home prices in Santiago but beach front is not available and the ocean is over an hour away.

Scott

tdotson

Mar 16, 2005
Thank you so much for your replies and the information. Some locals had told my husband that the advertised prices are "internet" or "tourist" prices and that you can get the real estate for much less than the listing price. It's always good to get everyone else's opinions.

Do you know of a good realtor that can give me information via email on housing prices in different areas or a website that has listings that will give me a good idea of the going home prices?

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
tdotson said:
Thank you so much for your replies and the information. Some locals had told my husband that the advertised prices are "internet" or "tourist" prices and that you can get the real estate for much less than the listing price. It's always good to get everyone else's opinions.

Do you know of a good realtor that can give me information via email on housing prices in different areas or a website that has listings that will give me a good idea of the going home prices?

This board has an extensive list of Real Estate for the North Coast, as well as some Realtor's who post here I beleive.

You can also try http://www.super-casas.com/

Don't really know enough about the market to comment on the prices within....

Ian

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Ken

Which is usually the case, anyway.

However, as a Champion of Santiago, I have to say that both Boca Chica & Sto. Dgo. suk, in the verbage of our modern youth!

As for schools east of there, only the Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana can hold a candle to the good schools in Santiago.

As for prices, you can get a pre construction condo in Altos, near La Romana for $600,000 and up....Punta Cana or Bavaro or Cap Cana the same.

So, back on the ground.

Where are your children going to go to university? Are you going to live here forever and ever? If so, think local, solid private schools-bi-lingual or Spanish-They'll take to it fast, believe me. University here, too. THEN off to Grad School. Like all the really good families do.

From what I understand of your post, your income can be earned anywhere, so choose wisely. I am open to serving as a 25? guide around the town, if you should so choose:D:D:D

HB

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
Answers to some questions

tdotson said:
My husband has done some business in the DR, fell in love with the country and the people and would like to relocate the family there from Texas. I have done some research and read the "newbie" posts but still have a few questions:

1. Schools - After research of the schools, I would like to send my kids to either Carol Morgan or ISS. My husband was told that there is an International School in Juan Dolio but I couldn't find a link to it (Villas Del Mar) - maybe it doesn't exist anymore? My children don't speak any Spanish and have been sheltered in their lives - living only in California, Virginia, Florida, and Texas. I would like for them to experience the DR culture but would like the schooling to be a smooth transition. Suggestions? Anything in Juan Dolio or Punta Cana? I found information on CMS and it said $13000 USD up front for enrollment for my 3 children and then $1500/month for all?? I can handle the monthly fee but is this "up front one-time fee" correct?
2. Location/Housing - It seems like the best place for our family would be the Northern Coast (Puerto Plata or Sosua) but my husband wants to purchase in Juan Dolio or Punta Cana. What kind of house would appx $150,000/yr USD buy in each of these places beachfront (actual cost of home, not annual income - annual income will be more)? How many bedrooms/baths? Fencing? Which is the best City for us (Americans who have no experience out of the US) to relocate to? My husband has made good friends in Boca Chica and Santo Domingo but after reading posts on these cities, I would prefer to live elsewhere, more family friendly. My children are 13, 13, and 10. We like the "suburban living" instead of the rat race of city life.
3. Cost of living - How much USD does it cost to hire a driver? Do you provide the vehicle for him/her?

I'm sorry for all of the questions but I am very nervous about leaving my "safe haven" and comfortable lifestyle that I've grown accustomed to but at the same time, I'm ready for the adventure and to have my family experience the culture - I'd just like to be ready for what's ahead and make the best decisions.

Thank you for any tips that you can give me. Take Care.

Hi,
Well that's alot of questions. We moved from dallas to Juan Dolio where we lived for four years so I have some good advice where you're coming from. Juan Dolio is a wonderful place to live in comparison to the craziness of the capital. In Juan Dolio there are great places to reside like the Metro COuntry Club where I lived. It's an awesome environment, very friendly and more suburban than anywhere else I've been. Also it's a very safe neighborhood and better place to raise kids. I can't tell you how much I've encountered living in the capital, God knows it's a lot worse than Juan Dolio. Now the school is the only problem. There is an English speaking school called Villas del Mar where we attended for four years. It's relatively inexpensive in comparison to the prices of schools in the city. Carol Morgan is the most expensive school in the capital and perhaps country. But the quality of Villas del Mar is very poor. That is why we moved to the capital. THe curriculum is great, ABeka, but the school's way of teaching is terrible. But if your kids have the capacity to learn on their own. But don't say I didn't warn you when you begin to experience mass problems with the school. All in all, I wish we had never moved from Juan Dolio, ut city life isn't all that bad either. Except for the black-outs, the sky-rocketing prices, the no water, but it's not that bad right?
Well hope I could have been some help for you, any questions please feel free to reply.

tdotson

Mar 16, 2005
You all are SO helpful!!! I surfed some sites for homes in Sosua and Puerto Plata and they really are affordable. I was hoping for $150,000 USD but higher is fine and when you go over the $200,000 USD mark, you really get more options. After even MORE research, it seems like the north end of the island has more "conveniences" while offering suburban life. As with any city, more is less - sounds like Santo Domingo has taken on more than it can handle and I don't want to move from comfortable living to hectic city life. We hope to be relocated within 6 months :eek: depending on many factors. You all are correct in assuming that we can live anywhere on the island as my husband will be doing business in both Santiago and Santo Domingo. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and I will try to keep you posted in hopes that it will also help others that are considering relocation from the US.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
tdotson said:
You all are SO helpful!!! I surfed some sites for homes in Sosua and Puerto Plata and they really are affordable. I was hoping for $150,000 USD but higher is fine and when you go over the $200,000 USD mark, you really get more options. After even MORE research, it seems like the north end of the island has more "conveniences" while offering suburban life. As with any city, more is less - sounds like Santo Domingo has taken on more than it can handle and I don't want to move from comfortable living to hectic city life. We hope to be relocated within 6 months :eek: depending on many factors. You all are correct in assuming that we can live anywhere on the island as my husband will be doing business in both Santiago and Santo Domingo. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and I will try to keep you posted in hopes that it will also help others that are considering relocation from the US.

Why the need to buy a house immediately? Personally I think you should rent for a little while and then if you decide that you like the place, you can then look for something to buy at your own pace and with Dominican prices, which should be a lot lower than if you rush into it.

Also don't pay attention to those prices posted in websites. You should be able to get something better for a lot less, if you take your time. Remember that in The DR (most places) houses aren't selling like hot cakes so you have the luxury of offering way lower than the asking price. As a matter of fact they expect it (even though they will act like they are insulted by your offer...it's just a front); That's why they will inflate the price...

My two cents...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with the rent first and look around BEFORE you buy!

It's very easy to buy here and very difficult to SELL!
There are lots of affordable (indeed VERY reasonable) rental properties available in all shapes, sizes and locations!

Note to chadfisher - (I can't believe you lived in JD for four years and we never met!!! You were living in Metro but I'm sure you were around town!) :ermm:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
suarezn said:
Also don't pay attention to those prices posted in websites. You should be able to get something better for a lot less, if you take your time. Remember that in The DR (most places) houses aren't selling like hot cakes so you have the luxury of offering way lower than the asking price. As a matter of fact they expect it (even though they will act like they are insulted by your offer...it's just a front); That's why they will inflate the price...

My two cents...

suarezn, I think your two cents has declined along with the dollar.

tdotson has indicated the North Coast is one of the areas she is interested in. Prices have gone uip considerably in the past year, as Escott has indicated in his post. If a seller acts insulted to a low-ball offer in the Sosua/Cabarete area, it is because he is insulted.

I agree with Hillbilly that Santiago would be a good choice. Good schools, good medical facilities, eveything that is in Santo Domingo except the congestion. I hope she will take HB up on his offer to serve as a guide.

I repeat what I said in my first post, and what others are also saying, do not rush into such an important decision. Spend a little time touring the areas you think you might be interested in, check out real estate offerings, check out the schools in each area, etc. If you take time before making that decision, you will be much less likely some months down the road to think you have made a very bad decision in relocating to the DR.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
tdotson said:
Schools - After research of the schools, I would like to send my kids to either Carol Morgan or ISS.

My children don't speak any Spanish and have been sheltered in their lives - living only in California, Virginia, Florida, and Texas.

My husband has made good friends in ..Santo Domingo

My children are 13, 13, and 10. We like the "suburban living" instead of the rat race of city life.

I am very nervous about leaving my "safe haven" and comfortable lifestyle that I've grown accustomed to

Hi Tdot, Just re-reading your post and thought that I might have something to add. Don't Rule Out Santo Domingo. For all of the reasons you've sighted above it might just be the best place for you. Especially if you have the money for Carol Morgan and a driver, and your husband has friends and business in SD. There are some wonderful areas, e.g. Arroyo Hondo, that have beautiful homes in suburban style communities. It's not so easy to drive from Santiago to SD for work, and SD really is the only "City" on this Island, The rest are overgrown towns at best, without the diversity and resources.
Just My feelings, come down with an open mind. I wasn't sure about SD either at first but at this point anywhere else on the island is just a little too sleepy. Your Kids are going to miss the States, SD and Carol Morgan have a lot to offer a developing teenager. You say they've been sheltered up till now, CM will still provide shelter while they start to experience a new country. You can always venture out with road trips around the island but SD will give you most of what you're leaving behind. Again, just keep an open mind and good luck with your decision and trip down. :cool:

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
You are in the exact situation I am

Hello there!

Ok... although I am also a newbie on this post... I wanted to tell you my thoughts. My family and I are moving at the end of March from Florida! I am a Colorado girl and have only lived in Florida for 8 months. We have also decided to move to the DR for business reasons. When we visited we did stay at the Metro Country club in Juan Dolio, and it was BEAUTIFUL! I loved the community, country club and suburban feeling you get when you are there.

On the other hand, because we have a 9 year old we want to dive right into the culture. I loved the country club don't get me wrong, but I really wanted to learn the Dominican way and be involved in the daily life. The country club just seemed to much like the US to me. I want DOMINICAN LIFE! We also check the International school in Juan Dolio (it is only 5 minutes away from the country club) but I was so dissappointed. It felt like a prison and I felt as though we were in an uncivilized culture just driving up to it. Very dirty and not what we were looking for. (Remember all those who want to rip me up for saying that... its only my opinion!)

We looked for many schools as it was our number one priority! 5 to be exact and we found the American School of Santo Domingo. They are so wonderful there and my daughter really liked it when she visited and tested into the school.. I found CM to be VERY expensive and I felt we would be paying for the name not the education. The American school of Santo Domingo will have my daughter learning spanish 2 1/2 hours a day until she is caught up with the others and she will learn French at a quarter of the price of Carl Morgan!

We found a beautiful house to rent in a very nice area in the city right next to a huge and beautiful park for my daughter. We are renting as we do not want to be stuck because we are new and would like to have options.

I hope this helps. You can PM me if you have more questions, I would love to chat!

shinobi16

Mar 21, 2005
kellyvalles said:
Hello there!

Ok... although I am also a newbie on this post... I wanted to tell you my thoughts. My family and I are moving at the end of March from Florida! I am a Colorado girl and have only lived in Florida for 8 months. We have also decided to move to the DR for business reasons. When we visited we did stay at the Metro Country club in Juan Dolio, and it was BEAUTIFUL! I loved the community, country club and suburban feeling you get when you are there.

On the other hand, because we have a 9 year old we want to dive right into the culture. I loved the country club don't get me wrong, but I really wanted to learn the Dominican way and be involved in the daily life. The country club just seemed to much like the US to me. I want DOMINICAN LIFE! We also check the International school in Juan Dolio (it is only 5 minutes away from the country club) but I was so dissappointed. It felt like a prison and I felt as though we were in an uncivilized culture just driving up to it. Very dirty and not what we were looking for. (Remember all those who want to rip me up for saying that... its only my opinion!)

We looked for many schools as it was our number one priority! 5 to be exact and we found the American School of Santo Domingo. They are so wonderful there and my daughter really liked it when she visited and tested into the school.. I found CM to be VERY expensive and I felt we would be paying for the name not the education. The American school of Santo Domingo will have my daughter learning spanish 2 1/2 hours a day until she is caught up with the others and she will learn French at a quarter of the price of Carl Morgan!

We found a beautiful house to rent in a very nice area in the city right next to a huge and beautiful park for my daughter. We are renting as we do not want to be stuck because we are new and would like to have options.

I hope this helps. You can PM me if you have more questions, I would love to chat!

Can you tell me what kind of house (rooms, bathrooms, etc.) you rented and how much a month? What kind of neighborhood? I'm planning on making the big jump with my wife and 14 year old daughter. She speaks very good Spanish but not good at reading it and writting it. Will like her to continue her education in English. What are the costs of the school? Thank you.

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
shinobi16 said:
Can you tell me what kind of house (rooms, bathrooms, etc.) you rented and how much a month? What kind of neighborhood? I'm planning on making the big jump with my wife and 14 year old daughter. She speaks very good Spanish but not good at reading it and writting it. Will like her to continue her education in English. What are the costs of the school? Thank you.

We rented a beautiful 3 bed 3 bath house with a beautiul yard. All newly remodeled. The cost for this kinda house in the neighbor hood is between $1500-$2000 us dollars. The school is about $5000 US dollars a year. When do you plan to move?

shinobi16

Mar 21, 2005
kellyvalles said:
We rented a beautiful 3 bed 3 bath house with a beautiul yard. All newly remodeled. The cost for this kinda house in the neighbor hood is between $1500-$2000 us dollars. The school is about $5000 US dollars a year. When do you plan to move?

We're planning to move next year, but if the rent for a 3 beadroom home is that much, then we'll have to sit down and talk about it some more. $1500US is more than what my mortgage payment is right now on my house on Long Island, New York. Wow, $1500-$2000US, is that in SAMMY SOSA'S neighborhood?

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
shinobi16 said:
We're planning to move next year, but if the rent for a 3 beadroom home is that much, then we'll have to sit down and talk about it some more. $1500US is more than what my mortgage payment is right now on my house on Long Island, New York. Wow, $1500-$2000US, is that in SAMMY SOSA'S neighborhood?

Hi There!

You know we look ed all over and figured out that it is worth it to pay more for a nicer area than not. When you are in the heart of the city it is just more expensive. A friend of ours got a deal on a house though for only $900. I was kinda shocked also...thinking I would get a 4000 sqft home for only $600 US but it is not like that if you are in the heart of the city. Also, We needed to be close to a good school. There are other financial trade offs though that compensate for the cost of renting. We are also planning on building which is so much cheaper than buying. I hope it is in Sammy Sosa's neighborhood! HAHA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"We Are Also Planning On Building,Which Is So Much Cheaper Than Buying!"

May God Have Mercy On Your Soul!!!"

You sound like a very sweet,kind,gentle,caring,loving,trusting person.
Just the kind of person that a Dominican would love to eat for breakfast,lunch,AND dinner! :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:
(Before EVERYONE starts,I will post my "Disclaimer" now.There are people all over the World who will take advantage of "The Innocent,and Unexperienced.We just happen to talking about the Dominican Republic,on a website devoted to same!! So."STFU"!..BEFORE,you start!)

There are some really great people on DR1.Sometimes an e-mail or a "PM" is a better way to communicate with them than on the open forum.What you are getting are "OPINIONS" from a lot of different folks.And you know what they say about opinions!
Here are my opinions,after living and working,and"trying" to raise a family here for over 10 years.
1.SLOWLY!...AND I mean R_E_A_L_L_Y SLOWLY!
2.BE really careful with money transactions.
3"Titles" for property and businesses are always "suspect"!
4.An honest experienced lawyer is always needed BEFORE,During,and After any transaction!!
5.Trust is GOOD,so trust in GOD! And in yourself! If "something" just doesn't seem right.Don't do it! Trust your intuition.People here can charm your pants off! (See The "SANKIE FORUM!") You will want to trust and please them,but BE Careful!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC