What's the population of Sosua?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was talking about Sosua with friend and the population of Sosua came up. I have to admit that I do not know. :classic:

I guess that would include Los Charamicos?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Anna Coniglio said:
I was talking about Sosua with friend and the population of Sosua came up. I have to admit that I do not know. :classic:

If you are going to estimate the Sosua population, you would have to include all the barrios. El Batey, Villa Ana Maria, Playa Chiquita, Los Charamicos, La Piedra, El Tablon, Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Maranata, Los Castillos, Puerto Chiquito, La Mulata 1, 2, 3 & 4, Los Ceros, the Camino LLibre area, La Union, to name a few.
Then there's the gated communities along the highway, such as Escondido bay, Sea Horse Ranch, El Choco, etc.
My Educated guess would be a total population of 20,000 or more.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I am not sure there is an accurate way to count everyone - especially considering all the foreigners living there illegally. And then do you only count the snowbirds as a half a person? since they are only there for half the year?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
A.J. said:
I am not sure there is an accurate way to count everyone - especially considering all the foreigners living there illegally. And then do you only count the snowbirds as a half a person? since they are only there for half the year?
That is exactly what cracks me up about Aides Statistics in the DR. They don't even have a clue as to how many people live there let alone if they have aids or not. What a joke.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Rocky said:
If you are going to estimate the Sosua population, you would have to include all the barrios. El Batey, Villa Ana Maria, Playa Chiquita, Los Charamicos, La Piedra, El Tablon, Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Maranata, Los Castillos, Puerto Chiquito, La Mulata 1, 2, 3 & 4, Los Ceros, the Camino LLibre area, La Union, to name a few.
Then there's the gated communities along the highway, such as Escondido bay, Sea Horse Ranch, El Choco, etc.

I heard it was about 100,000 which included about 30,000 Germans.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP/Sosua/Cabarete

Cabarete belongs to Sosua, which in turn belongs to POP.
If the total population of the 3 is 300,000, then I'm a monkey's uncle.
POP is a speck next to Santiago which has less than a million.
BTW: I was around when they did that supposed census in '93. What a farce.
They forced us to close our businesses and stay home for 3 days and nobody even came around to count.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

The Sosua population is around 8,000.00 and it does includes Los Charamicos.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
Cabarete belongs to Sosua, which in turn belongs to POP.
If the total population of the 3 is 300,000, then I'm a monkey's uncle.
POP is a speck next to Santiago which has less than a million.
BTW: I was around when they did that supposed census in '93. What a farce.
They forced us to close our businesses and stay home for 3 days and nobody even came around to count.
Hey they can tell you how many people have aids! Maybe that was what they were checking then and you hadn't caught it yet? LOL

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
2002 Census

Notwithstanding my negligible grasp of Spanish, http://www.one.gov.do/ appears to contain the results of the 2002 census (Resultados Definitivos VIII Censo Nacional De Poblacion Y Vivienda 2002/ Vol. III Caracteristicas generales de la poblacion).

Some of the totals given are:

PROVINCIA PUERTO PLATA 311,813

MUNICIPIO PUERTO PLATA 146,171

MUNICIPIO SOSUA 44,850

There is no entry for Cabarete so it may be included in the Sosua total.

As Rocky and others have pointed out, the accuracy of these figures is another story?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This actually sounds fairly accurate to me.
Showing POP as being at approx. 150,000 sounds about right.
I have no doubt that the Sosua figures include Cabarete, and, as I would have gone as high as believing that there could be 28,000 in Sosua and that Cabarete is growing in leaps and bounds these days, they very well might have the other 16,000 to make the 44,000 total.

tomster

Mar 22, 2006
Educated by whom? A pack of wolves?

:rolleyes:
Rocky said:

I am not sure how anyone can make an "educated guess" on this subject..especially when La Union is fully a ten minute drive from the town of Susua. And how could Puerto Chiquito possibly be part of Sosua? I am sorry, but your estimate is not educated at all, but simply a shot in the dark.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
tomster said:
:rolleyes:

I am not sure how anyone can make an "educated guess" on this subject..especially when La Union is fully a ten minute drive from the town of Susua. And how could Puerto Chiquito possibly be part of Sosua?
Good way to start out with your first post.
If it bothers you that La Union is part of Sosua, and that it's so far from the downtown core, perhaps you could write to the Dominican Government and ask them to remove it as one of Sosua's barrios.
Now, let me clear something up for you.
The town is called Sosua, not Susua.
La Union is not a 10 minute drive from Sosua, it is part of Sosua, therefore, a 0 minute drive.
As for how Playa Chiquito could be part of Sosua, let me explain to you how it works.
First, you have an area called Sosua, then you build a complex in that area, and you call it Puerto Chiquito, then you now have a complex in Sosua.
Simple, isn't it.
Did you manage to follow all that, or was it too complicated for you and your pack of wolves?