Best Korean food in Santo Domingo

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Name: Bethel Coreano
Reason why?: Abundance of delicious food at budget prices.

One of the three Korean eateries open to the public in Santo Domingo, this one is a family-style no-frill place. Zero d?cor so don't expect to woo and wow your date here. It?s a place purely for the food, nothing else. Order one main course and they will bring out 4-5 different complimentary side dishes (called "ban chan" in Korean) for you to munch on. Go for ?bulgogi? (Korean BBQ beef). Now there is even a pictorial menu with a picture next to each item, so you will not accidentally order wrong.

Price range: RD$200-350 per dish. Do NOT be greedy and over-order. Your table will literally overflow with plates. As a bonus, this places does NOT charge ITBIS or service charge, so don't forget to tip them well.

If you want a more "presentable" option, then head a few streets over to

Manna
Calle 12 de Julio No. 7 (a side street next to Burger King on Bentancourt. Tel: 535-3355 (Closed on Sundays)

Hidden in an impressive villa-style house, this place is barely 6-month old, but is already crowded with those-in-the-know for authentic Korean fare, albeit at higher pricing (expect to pay 50% more than at Bethel). In return, you get much bigger selection of choices and drinks. Ther is also a couryard dining option and a 2nd floor karaoke option (avoid this if you can't stand the noise !!). Some tables are arranged in typical Asian format with tatami seating and large partitioin between tables. If you are mystified by what to order, ask for Alberto Cho who speaks good Spanish.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Do they have?

Formosano2000 said:
Name: Bethel Coreano
Reason why?: Abundance of delicious food at budget prices.

One of the three Korean eateries open to the public in Santo Domingo, this one is a family-style no-frill place. Zero d?cor so don't expect to woo and wow your date here. It?s a place purely for the food, nothing else. Order one main course and they will bring out 4-5 different complimentary side dishes (called "ban chan" in Korean) for you to munch on. Go for ?bulgogi? (Korean BBQ beef). Now there is even a pictorial menu with a picture next to each item, so you will not accidentally order wrong.

Price range: RD$200-350 per dish. Do NOT be greedy and over-order. Your table will literally overflow with plates. As a bonus, this places does NOT charge ITBIS or service charge, so don't forget to tip them well.

If you want a more "presentable" option, then head a few streets over to

Manna
Calle 12 de Julio No. 7 (a side street next to Burger King on Bentancourt. Tel: 535-3355 (Closed on Sundays)

Hidden in an impressive villa-style house, this place is barely 6-month old, but is already crowded with those-in-the-know for authentic Korean fare, albeit at higher pricing (expect to pay 50% more than at Bethel). In return, you get much bigger selection of choices and drinks. Ther is also a couryard dining option and a 2nd floor karaoke option (avoid this if you can't stand the noise !!). Some tables are arranged in typical Asian format with tatami seating and large partitioin between tables. If you are mystified by what to order, ask for Alberto Cho who speaks good Spanish.

How is the kimchi, and pulgogi? :classic:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Manna is not 50% more expensive than Bethel

The price differential is closer to 20% and the quality of the food and ambience more than offsets the modest premium.

Bethel offers the advantage of several "localized" dishes, including a mild (as in non-spicy) version of its seafood noodle soup. The owner's children attend the nearby American Christian School and they all speak English. One of them told me they occasionally offer "criollo" dishes such as fried chicken.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, they offer kimchi, albeit a slightly less spicy version.

I have been to Bethel twice, and I was not only pleasantly surprised by the quality but also by the low prices. Thanks Formosano for having suggested it a few threads back. :classic:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Jarirang

in Santo Domingo, Jarirang, on 27 de Febrero is by far the best, albeit more expensive. By the way, in Bethel you can get a 'refill' of ban-chan at no extra cost. My favorite fare at Jarirang is pulgogi (perro pulgoso ;-) which you get to cook yourself over the charcoal grill recessed into the table.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Well.......

arturo said:
The price differential is closer to 20% and the quality of the food and ambience more than offsets the modest premium.

After ITBIS and service charge (neither of which Bethel charges) plus the tips, the total price will be 50% higher ;)

But you are right, the ambience and quality of food justifies this. I just wanted to point out the obvious for people to decide.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Not any more...

For years, this place used to be the only option for Korean food in Santo Domingo. However, it now trails Manna in the quality of food and in service, not to mention ambience. I'm consistently more impressed by Manan's ban-chan than at Arirang. Could you believe at one time (a while ago), Arirang used to count peeled garlic cloves (yes !! nothing more on that dish) as one side-dish ?? What a joke! LOL

Mirador said:
in Santo Domingo, Jarirang, on 27 de Febrero is by far the best, albeit more expensive. By the way, in Bethel you can get a 'refill' of ban-chan at no extra cost. My favorite fare at Jarirang is pulgogi (perro pulgoso ;-) which you get to cook yourself over the charcoal grill recessed into the table.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Mirador said:

Arirang closed several months ago. It was one of my favorites. So was happy to check out the Korean restaurants suggested by Formosano.

First place we went to was Bethel, where the waitress told us that the owners of Arirang show up for dinner once in a while.

Went with the family and Bethel was good. Bethel was different from Arirang for the same dishes. I would prefer Arirang, but Bethel was good in its own style. Homely food, belly-filling. Bethel was much more food than Arirang, and cheaper. Like he said, be careful with ordering. I was fortunate because went with a 12-year old and 14-year old that can eat for three people each one by themselves. Note they only accept cash.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Korean Pizza

solituna said:
Is a great tasting dish at Bethel! Highly recommend it.

I quite like the "Korean Pizza" at Manna. I don't remember seeing a dish with that name at Bethel. I'm not sure why either place would call the dish a pizza since it is much more like what Americans call a pancake. Scallions (puerro) are a primary ingredient and various combinations of seafood and vegetables also figure prominently. It is served with a soy based dipping sauce. At 300 pesos including side dishes, it is a fantastic bargain.

JKang

Sep 6, 2004
That is awesome! I'm a Korean in nyc and I would never have thought there were korean restaurants in santo domingo. I didn't think a distinction would be made btwn the asian cuisines because I get called chino when I was in santo domingo anyways.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Chino

JKang said:
That is awesome! I'm a Korean in nyc and I would never have thought there were korean restaurants in santo domingo. I didn't think a distinction would be made btwn the asian cuisines because I get called chino when I was in santo domingo anyways.

Well my friend, many asians fall into the "Chino" category (Japanese, Taiwanese, Koreans, Main land Chinese etc). The Dominicans do not mean anything bad by it, just as they call people Negro and Rubio. It's just a category thing...

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Open Sunday - Manna

Manna Calle 12 de Julio No. 7 (a side street next to Burger King on Bentancourt. Tel: 535-3355 (Closed on Sundays)

Manna is open on Sunday's although I would call first just to make sure. I just had a wonder Sunday lunch there.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I like Korean food and didn't think they had it here. I must check out this place pronto. I hope they have Soon Du Bu and Seafood Pancake. Is this located by the Burger King near Blue Mall?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I know there are Koreans and a Korean church in Santiago but have never seen Korean food there.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I like Korean food and didn't think they had it here. I must check out this place pronto. I hope they have Soon Du Bu and Seafood Pancake. Is this located by the Burger King near Blue Mall?

Formosano's post is from 2005. Plug the address into Google Maps to see the exact location.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Well my friend, many asians fall into the "Chino" category (Japanese, Taiwanese, Koreans, Main land Chinese etc). The Dominicans do not mean anything bad by it, just as they call people Negro and Rubio. It's just a category thing...

umm aren't all asians everywhere considered chinese anyways? I couldn't tell a korean from a japanese if my life depended on it..

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I think I stopped by there few times and they had decent selections of authentic Korean food. How authentic? It was my first time I had dead body soup Bizarre Foods - Korea 2 of 5 - YouTube Very strong smell but after couple spoonful I see why Andrew liked it.

umm aren't all asians everywhere considered chinese anyways? I couldn't tell a korean from a japanese if my life depended on it..
To many that who only lived in their respective countries like Korea, Japan, China, etc... calling them Chinese are like calling every Spanish spoken people Mexican or as (Koreans put it) Nammi Saram (South American) as they ignores to tell the difference. It can be disrespectful or racist for those haven't been out much. As for those been living outside like me, who lived 1/4 of my life in NY/NJ area, I have better things to do then worrying about why someone can't tell the differences.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Ignorant"?............................YES!
"Racist"?.............................."Not-So-Much"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a Proud American, "WE", tend to think that there is "US", and then ,"Everybody Else"!
It helps us when we kill them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC