Internet by satellite in the Dominican Republic

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Hi there,

I'm thinking to invest in a satellite system here in DR, as I plan to move to a place where there is no ADSL Flash availability. My only solution to get high-speed internet is to use a satellite connection. I have already contacted 3 companies here in DR and prices are about 2000$ for equipment (dish + modem) and about 132-155$ per month for the service with DirecWay, and about 4500$ + 150$/month for Galileo (better connection).

Does anyone here has a system like this already installed ? If yes, which company would you recommand. How much did the installation cost you, and how is the quality of your service ?

Thanks in advance,
Cirilo

Jun 28, 2004
might be worth waiting for this

http://www.wildblue.com/
coming to the states any time

same system in canada any time too thru telesat which is owned by bce so it'll probably be bell

installation is a problem but i'm sure theres going to be a workaround

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
DAMN! That's pricey. Mine is about $60US a month and I DONT WANT to pay even that. Good luck. I know alot of people have alot of money, but I would move next to Verizon before I think about putting out that kinda cash to chat on DR1 :surprised
TEHAMA

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
thanx

Thanks for the info about Wildblue, but on their website they say that won't give service in Puerto Rico, only on the continent. So that means NO for us too, unless...

Galileo seems to be the most reliable - also the most pricey. DirecWay the most affordable but has not the best service, especially for upload. It's a big dilema for me, and as I make my leaving with internet, I need a high-speed connection and am ready to invest - but want to make the best investment of course.

Thanks for your replies guys, maybe more will come with positive news !
Cirilo

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
221 said:
http://www.wildblue.com/
coming to the states any time

same system in canada any time too thru telesat which is owned by bce so it'll probably be bell

installation is a problem but i'm sure theres going to be a workaround

Wildblue is not going to have satellites servicing the Caribbean any time soon. There are no workarounds for satellite installations.

The prices that you were quoted are right on the mark. That is more or less what these things go for. Quality of service depends on the quality of your installation. If your installers do a good job of pointing, and you have a good provider, you will have good quality of service. There are only about three reliable companies in the DR. And looking by what you're being quoted, you've found one of them already.

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Chris said:
Wildblue is not going to have satellites servicing the Caribbean any time soon. There are no workarounds for satellite installations.

The prices that you were quoted are right on the mark. That is more or less what these things go for. Quality of service depends on the quality of your installation. If your installers do a good job of pointing, and you have a good provider, you will have good quality of service. There are only about three reliable companies in the DR. And looking by what you're being quoted, you've found one of them already.

Thanks Chris.
Are you using this system too ? Could you give me the contact information for those companies and which one you think is the best ?

Thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We've been living with Satellite connectivity in the Caribbean for the past four or so years. I won't change as the reliability is just excellent. If you do a search on the board, I've posted from time to time as to the developments in this field. The DirecWay systems are good for the job that they are required to do. Also, Galileo offers a range of what is DirecWay hardware under another name. It depends what you need. Feel free to contact us directly or Dunhill systems on the South Coast. I'm sure Arjan of Dunhill systems will give you customer references for real time experience. You'll find him easily under the weather forum, to send a private mail, as he reports weather for us from Juan Dolio. They are the one reliable supplier, and will stay with you until the installation is satisfactory, and we are the other reliable supplier.

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Thanks Chris,

I'm already in touch with Arjan, and he gave me really good information - he knows what he's talking about and have been very patient with me, answering all my questions.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Cirilo said:
Hi there,

I'm thinking to invest in a satellite system here in DR, as I plan to move to a place where there is no ADSL Flash availability. My only solution to get high-speed internet is to use a satellite connection. I have already contacted 3 companies here in DR and prices are about 2000$ for equipment (dish + modem) and about 132-155$ per month for the service with DirecWay, and about 4500$ + 150$/month for Galileo (better connection).

Does anyone here has a system like this already installed ? If yes, which company would you recommand. How much did the installation cost you, and how is the quality of your service ?

Thanks in advance,
Cirilo

On the north coast call Dolphy. He sells the equip. and services also installs. 571-2217. He told me yesterday he had a used system "Dish etc." for sale.

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Got internet by satellite now

After spending a few times to look for the best internet by satellite provider in DR, I have decided to go with Dunhill Systems, located in Juan Dolio.

The delivered all the equipment and installed it. All was working in a couple of hours. I have been using the service for 1 and half month already, and so far this is perfect : fast downloads, up to 1 Mb, reliability and no downtime, and great support and assistance from Dunhill Systems.

I have heard and witnessed many stories about internet by satellite in DR (tele fishing dish instead of official dishes, bad service, NO support (or the traditionnal : yeah, manana....) ).

This is why I strongly recommand this company for all those interested in broadband connection by satellite. PM for more information.

bmail18

Dec 26, 2005
go to satellite-internet-dominican-republic.com

I have had great success with this company. They have all of the equiptment, they install quickly, and they have great support.

I am especcially impressed with the VOIP connection. To the US, it's GREAT!!! and only 1.1 cent/ min!!!

The prices run between $40-50/month. And the installation is about $1300.

We've never lost connection, and haven't had any problems.

:classic:

Becca

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
At those prices you're working with pirate signals and if someone finds them, you'll go black very quickly and perhaps have a set of equipment that you cannot use any longer.

Dunhill, help me here...!

bmail18 said:
I have had great success with this company. They have all of the equiptment, they install quickly, and they have great support.

I am especcially impressed with the VOIP connection. To the US, it's GREAT!!! and only 1.1 cent/ min!!!

The prices run between $40-50/month. And the installation is about $1300.

We've never lost connection, and haven't had any problems.

:classic:

Becca

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Cirilo said:
Thanks Chris,

I'm already in touch with Arjan, and he gave me really good information - he knows what he's talking about and have been very patient with me, answering all my questions.

You could also call leonco he has the fastest and best satellite internet systems in the DR Hes based in Puerto Plata
Tel; 809 772 8251

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ladybird said:
You could also call leonco he has the fastest and best satellite internet systems in the DR Hes based in Puerto Plata
Tel; 809 772 8251

Dunhill, help me. I'm in the process of giving up!

Satellite internet systems cannot be the 'fastest and the best in the DR'. There are only about 4 companies in total who have satellites carrying residential or commercial signal that we can reach from the DR. Legal or illegal signal.

Satellite system speed is a complex interaction between earth station and geo stationary satellite sitting approximately 28 thousand miles away - dish size, dish quality, type of dish electronics, distance of satellite that you aim to, and terrestrial internet backbone that you connect to on the other side, as well as computers and routers connected on this side all have an effect.

Installing these things require certification. It requires one to take courses and pass tests and pay money for this. If you do not ask for your installer's certification number while someone installs this for you, you are not doing your homework. If the installer is not certified, they are not legal. The people who know what they are doing, are certified by the likes of companies like Hughes or Inmarsat as competent and certified to work with the equipment.

If you want legal and robust, you go to Dunhill or to us. Dunhill specializes more in residential and hotels. We do more business integration and set-up of complex WAN's with our systems. If you want a decent VOIP, or a working VPN, you better speak to Dunhill or to us. If you have a business where connectivity is mission critical, better not go to a backyard mechanic. Last I checked, Dunhill's prices and our prices are more or less on a par. If you want illegal and iffy, you go somewhere else. Both Dunhill and us could cut our pricing in half if we wanted to use locally manufactured dishes. Dunhill's business manufacture their own dishes and he would not even use their own dishes for internet. For television yes.

Fastest in the DR - give me a break! The DR has nothing to do with it, excepting in as much as the distance to the satellites obviously has a bearing. The satelites are not in the DR... they are in the sky....

Show me certifications and a professional toolset. If you can't, you're dealing with a backyard mechanic tapping into illegal services and not paying the providers for what you are provided. If you want a business quality install, there are not many in the DR that can help you, but I guess some of us are happy with backyard mechanics.

If leonco is one of Dunhill's agents/resellers, your install will still be done by certified and competent people.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Sorry for the late reaction, i needed a few days off and was hidden in the sugarcane around Guayamate.
====================================================
There are a bundle of people (not REAL companies) in the DR, who get (used) materials or activated materials from the USA or Puerto Rico, "installers" try to make a quick-buck and are not hindered by ANY technical knowledge.

This combined with the use of a TV dish (the name say it already) they try to create a connection, mostly with a TV satellite finder.

If that works, you are lucky.
Stay happy as long as it will be, Verizon is doing Direcway as well and they don't like "intruders" in their market, what the result will be, we don't know, we don't care either, because we are legit with INDOTEL and have nothing to fear (maybe a price-war).

Satellites have BEAMS, that is nothing more than a kind of flashlight pointed in a certain direction.
If you are inside the spot, you have a signal, on the edge, a bigger dish will give results, outside -nothing-

Even if the satellite is on top of our head, that is no garantee that you will have a signal.

Satellite Internet Systems are NOT made in the DR
They come from the USA and those systems need to go through customs.
Since you need an "uplink" there is a radio transmitter in the system, and for that you will need a license (or the whole system is licensed to a company by INDOTEL)
Radiosignals that are not properly balanced CAN give problems with other signals like airplane navigation, telemetry and others.

The use of a television dish, is one of the sources for interrupting those "tiny" signals, they are not created/balanced/prepared for transmissions and if they were, they would not called TV-dishes but TX(/rx)-dishes.

What do we have in the DR.
Customs is difficult and expensive.
Taxes are coming in left and right.
The goverment want to have some money too.
Transportation costs are rising sky-high.

A system from the USA will cost triple or more when it finally LEGALLY arrives in the DR.

The costs are reduced commonly by "bypassing" taxes, homemade dishes, illigal imports (smuggling) etc etc.

"Thus, we don't ship the original dish , but use a 1.8m locally made TV dish, and look at the (reception) strength, sooooo coool and hard, ...... exactly where it was made for: TO RECEIVE signals"

Monthly fees less than $90 a month are not normal
There is a $69 package from DW (direcway) but that is on a satellite that is almost behind the horizon (lets put up a BIGGER dush) and has no solid footprint (spot) in the DR

Pirated systems are more and more common from DW, at only a fraction of the cost.
I don't have to explain to the people from the usa, what can happen if Direcway (owned by Hughes and thus DTV) will do when they see grounds to start legal actions.
Ask the people who got "busted", by the thought alone of having illigal DTV or DishNet receivers.

And since this goverment "sleeps" with the USA in this kind of cases, be prepared for the future.
There was/is already a rush in busting (illigal) local cable providers.

What can you expect:

A licensed/trained installer will do an installation job for around $600-$1000 and that is just HIS work, without any materials.
He will have the tools, equipment and experience and he will use, at least, a digital satellite finder (not just a compass),GPS , cable crimp tools (not pliers or a hammer), original plugs (not local copies) , the correct certified cables (not local look-alikes).

The equipment is another thing:
Hotels, Resorts, (bigger) companies will bring materials it into the DR by themselves, they have contracts and can do it cheaper, organisations (like churches etc) will have a tax-free pass.

USA trained installers will speak/write/understand fluently english, else they can't go through a training program.
A licensed installer will have a certificate (what is checkable) or an installer ID or whatever to prove to the client that he is, who he pretends to be, and all this is offcourse for the client able to test his credibility.
A certified installer will have a checkable emaill address and not HOTMAIL,YAHOO,GMAIL etc, but a company email address.

Some additional information:

Direcway (DW) is a public product, has no special things for programming and/or activation, and is sold by many COMPANIES, who normally let a certified installer do the installation job, they have aftersales and a helpdesk. there are some options for a do-it-yourself.
DW is happy with you as long as you pay your monthly fees, there are no garantees for speeds etc, they just use maximum and indication speeds, low monthly fees for low quality packages.
No digital-userlimits, that means you share the satellite-channel with up to 150 others.
Verizon starts at $145 a month and $2000 for DW equipment without (!!) installation materials.

iDirect is highly professional, has a do-it-yourself option but is NOT promoted by the resellers, because you will loose all garantees of the connection.
MANUALLY done by a trained installer you get a garanteed connection.
Speeds depend on the connected satellite and the requested service
64/64 starts at a $150/m and can go up till $10.000 for 10.000/10.000
Users are limited, (max50, max20 etc) but that will increase the price as well, but there is no package that goes over 50 users

Nera (comes from the maritime istallations) is high-tec, they only allow certied installers to do the activation MANUALLY, and that comes with a price (and a stable connection)
512/128 starts at a $350/m and can go up till $10.000 for 10.000/10.000
Users are limited, (max50, max20 etc) but that will increase the price as well, but there is no package that goes over 50 users

DataBahn, SKY, and other smaller companies have limited satellite access, low-budget packages, and high digital-users in 1 satellite connection, most of them (prob all) have no secure signal in the DR, and don't give support outside USA territory.
And we contacted almost all of them to do business with, but always went down on quality and garantees and not from our side !! but from the brand owner !!

Than dish-sizes.
And there are the differences in transport costs !!

DW has (some) connections left on G4 and G11, those satellites can be used with a 0.98m and a 1.2m dish, the newer systems that uses SM5, HZN1 and others, have different signals/spots and requieres bigger dishes, and the lower the satellite position - the more difficult it is to penetrate through clouds etc, to reach the satellite.
(for this, we refuse to connect to HZN1 at 127 degrees).
AND the bigger the dish, the heavier the materials, the higher the cost of transport.
A satellite that has a spot, that can be used with a 1.2 meter dish, is good for use in the DR, and that are only a few.

Bigger dishes catches more wind, are less stable and need heavier installation materials.
A satellite is +/- 36000 kilomters away, a "little" mistake of 1mm, has big consequences on that distance (take a calculator and see)

If you know on what satellite you will be connected, find the info for the "footprint" for this sat, and you will find the minmum dish size as well.

Something personal.

When installing systems, we have good fun if we see those tv dishes , carry-ing a heavy LNB for internet access, tied together with teepie and some wires, and nicely waiving with the wind.
And than some of those ?installers? have the "guts" to come to our office, to ask for one of our digital sat-finders, because they cannot find a signal (with their tv tester), and than they are angry with us because we don't lend them one.

A "good" dealer/installer has:
an internet site
a company email
is backed-up by a USA distributor(s)
original materials
an office/shop
a taxnumber
an INDOTEL number
Licenses/Diploma's

And the FASTED internet systems can only run on
Nera 1000 (6000down-2000up) Nera 1910 (8000down and 4000up) iDirect (10.000 down and 10.000 up)
and that are garanteed speeds, prices depends on the amount of digital users per channel.

All other is "looks-like", "maximum possible" bla bla etc etc.

We don't have problems with others INSTALLERS (like Chris - we never met either), but we have problems with quick-a-buck's, fake-installers and pirates.

And like Chris we are backed up by names as:
Hughes (http://www.hughes.com)
Telenor (http://www.telenor-usa.com)
Sky Catcher (http://www.skycatcher.com)
Ground Control (http://www.groundcontrol.com)
Nera (http://www.nera.no)
iDirect (http://www.idirect.com)
INDOTEL (http://www.indotel.gov.do)
and others,
we have direct access to those companies and are known by name

Need to know more ??

Do a search on DR1 for Dunhill

archetype

Dec 20, 2005
repeat

While all this is very worthwhile, can one of the experts answer the question of the capability of taking the satellite signal wirelessly to three or four computers?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
archetype said:
While all this is very worthwhile, can one of the experts answer the question of the capability of taking the satellite signal wirelessly to three or four computers?

Yes, this is easy and possible.... At our home, we have a wireless network to three or four computers, and spread the signal wirelessly further to two other homes with three computers. Sorry for not replying earlier. I got totally sidetracked and quite angered by spurious referrals to spurious installers. If this stuff is done incorrectly, it can really do harm. As Dunhill said, interference to airplane navigation is a real risk.

Last edited: