CPS Mail is service is awful

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
CPS Mail service is awful

Maybe this should be in "rants" or something like that, but I just need to complain about how awful CPS service is. I set up an account in Santo Domingo three months ago. The first week I had the account I called the Santo Domingo office to change my location to Santiago. They told me to e-mail the Miami office, which I did. Never heard anything back. I called the SD office again, and this time they told me to fax in a request. Which I did as well. Still no mail in Santiago. I called again and they said it would be resolved. At the Santiago office I mail started to trickle in, but not at the rate it should have been. I called Santo Domingo again, and asked if I had any "cartas" there. They told me no. The Santiago office called and asked if I had any "paquetes" there, they said yes. I got on the line and asked why they didnt tell me I had anything, and they told me it was because I only asked if I had "cartas" there. Truly unbelievable.

To this day three months later I still have to call weekly to SD to have them send up all correspondence to Santiago. I had something overnighted to the Miami address, which they received a week ago, and I still dont have it here. In other words, their service is horrible, they have no communication between offices, are not cheap, and as I have found out will straight out lie. I highly recommned anyone reading this to look at other businesses that offer the same services. And now to the point of my rant -- could someone please recommend a good and trustworthly service for mail from the US to Santiago.

Sorry for incohernce, but the package I am waiting for that they received a week ago in Miami is very important -- so I just needed to vent. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well , the good thing is that you will not have to go very far to get better service

Go over to Business Mail on Calle 7 of the Jardines. Phone number is 241 0625

Ask for MrToribio.

They will be happy to set you up.

Slightly cheaper than CPS(Caribbean Parcel Service, Ken)

They can get stuff through fairly fast, but I never really count on it.

HB :D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I use EPS not to be confused with CPS and love it!

http://www.eps-int.com/ (English/Spanish)

They have online tracking so you can see if your package has left Miami or in customs etc. They also email you as soon as you get a package or letters.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I also recommend EPS. Been using them for over a year without any problems whatsoever. $5 USD a pound and as reliable as FedEx (without the delivery, although they do do package delivery for an extra fee). The online tracking is also very helpful.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
NV_ said:
I also recommend EPS. Been using them for over a year without any problems whatsoever. $5 USD a pound and as reliable as FedEx (without the delivery, although they do do package delivery for an extra fee). The online tracking is also very helpful.

So one can actually buy merchandise in the US, and have it shipped to the DR thru EPS? No hassle with customs, you just pick up the stuff at EPS' local office in let's say Santiago? What about itbis, is it included in the $5/lb charge? (sounds unlikely). How is the merchandise handed over to EPS at the US end? Stuff you buy mail-order and pay for with a Visa card usually has to be shipped to the billing address of the card, afaik.

As an example - if anybody has an idea - how much would it cost to have a television set shipped from Miami to Santiago, everything included? Say the TV weighs like hmm.. 80 lbs? Or is it better after all to buy it over the counter at Plaza Lama or La Sirena?

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Paulino said:
So one can actually buy merchandise in the US, and have it shipped to the DR thru EPS? No hassle with customs, you just pick up the stuff at EPS' local office in let's say Santiago? What about itbis, is it included in the $5/lb charge? (sounds unlikely). How is the merchandise handed over to EPS at the US end? Stuff you buy mail-order and pay for with a Visa card usually has to be shipped to the billing address of the card, afaik.
Man, where have you been? That's what we been saying all this time. :classic: I am not a customer of EPS (I was long ago during my brief stint living in Santiago), but of another company, I know the owners and am fairly happy with their service. I think they are cheaper than EPS.

As an example - if anybody has an idea - how much would it cost to have a television set shipped from Miami to Santiago, everything included? Say the TV weighs like hmm.. 80 lbs? Or is it better after all to buy it over the counter at Plaza Lama or La Sirena?
Unless it is an specific model you want I suggest you buy locally. There is no warrantee if you buy abroad, plus EPS will charge you taxes on top of the shipping cost. Buying abroad only makes sense if it is small items that are really expensive here or things that you can't find here.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Paulino said:

Like Pib said, if its not a specific model that you cant find here, it is still cheaper to purchase "heavy" electronics in the country.

EPS gives you an address in Miami where all your purchases should be shipped to (they give you an EPS # that has to be on the package so they know who it is for) and anywhere from 2-4 days later you have your package waiting for you at the EPS office. Sometimes D.R. Customs "grabs" it and puts a tax on top of the shipping cost. Most of the time its fair but other times its a bit too much... not much you can do in those cases. EPS also allows you to receive your mail (letters, bill, etc.) through a P.O. Box (in Miami). The mail rates are much cheaper and you only have to pay for what you want (no need to pay extra for junk mail, unless you want it).

As for your credit card, you would have to register the EPS address in Miami as an alternate shipping address (not all creditcards offer this service though).

I dont think itbis is included in the $5/pound charge but im not too sure.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
EPS is good, but they are the most expensive

I used them for years, but it got so I couldn't see why they were so expensive.. One example was a golf bag that I bought cost more to bring here than it did to buy it!.

I have been extremely pleased with Business Mail, who are far, far cheaper and just as efficient..

Please remember, however, that these companies are for things that you have to have, and can't get here at reasonable prices. Good vitamins for example. Golf shoes or clubs, high value items for your kitchen (chef's knives for example), CDs, etc. You can also use them to move a container of furniture if you so wish. They do it and very well.

While you get the same service and , as Robert says, a email alert when your package arrives, why pay $5 a pound when 3 and change get the same thing, except for the email alert?? Local calls are cheap.

HB :D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:
While you get the same service and , as Robert says, a email alert when your package arrives, why pay $5 a pound when 3 and change get the same thing, except for the email alert?? Local calls are cheap.
My thoughts exactly. I pay about half of what EPS charges and I know all the people working in the company I use. I have even bullied them into free delivery once in a while. :classic: