Sending packages, letters, etc. to DR

mavratin

Mar 18, 2005
What kind of advice can all you pros out there give me on getting some birthday packages and photos to some friends in Las Terrenas? Problem is, neither of them have actual adresses, per se, and they have NEVER received any mail or packages in their lives! So, my very poor (money-wise) friends are more than over due for the rush that one gets from simply getting something in the mail...even if it has to go to a centralized location, which I imagine is the only way... There must be some option out there!!! Thanks so much in advance!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mavratin said:
What kind of advice can all you pros out there give me on getting some birthday packages and photos to some friends in Las Terrenas? Problem is, neither of them have actual adresses, per se, and they have NEVER received any mail or packages in their lives! So, my very poor (money-wise) friends are more than over due for the rush that one gets from simply getting something in the mail...even if it has to go to a centralized location, which I imagine is the only way... There must be some option out there!!! Thanks so much in advance!

Send it via a courier that has online tracking, UPS, FedEx, TNT etc.
Ask your friends via phone the address of a business/hotel that will accept a package for them. Send it, track it and call them when you know it has been signed for this end.

The local mail system does not work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Really, that is the only way

You can't use local mail as they would never get the package.

You can try and contact someone that is going to Las Terrenas and ask them to take it for you, but gringos don't usually do that sort of thing....if you have a Dominican friend, he/she will probably be more than happy to do this.

But the smiles on their faces will be worth whatever you do decide to do!!

HB :D:D

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
Receiving a package in Samana

Here's what you have to do - it is the only option here in Samana... send your package via Federal Express. Use the Santiago Fed Ex office address as the address for the recipient (Avenida Metropolitana). You MUST add send via Metro to Las Terrenas (or Samana): and then the person's name and a phone number of someone who can let your friends know they have a package. Fed Ex will, free of charge, put your package on the bus! It works!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just one little thing

The address of Fed Ex is now Ave Texas, esquina C/9, Los Jardines Metropolitanos.
Phne number is 809 583 4713
They have moved.

If Fed Ex does this they are really good people!!

HB :D:D:D

mavratin

Mar 18, 2005
Huh?

I really dont understand... So, I send the pacjage via FedEx in Santiago? I am very confused... Even more confusing is how does the package actually get from the bus to the person? Does the bus driver call? Sorry for seeming dense, but this sounds very far fetched! I would love a bit more detail on how to do this cause this sounds very interesting... Thanks!

tonisusan

Feb 7, 2005
Robert said:
Send it via a courier that has online tracking, UPS, FedEx, TNT etc.
Ask your friends via phone the address of a business/hotel that will accept a package for them. Send it, track it and call them when you know it has been signed for this end.

The local mail system does not work.

I moved to Las Terrenas in January this year.
My mother sent from UK bday card/package end Jan NOT RECEIVED as of now!!
However i did receive a Valentine card sent in FEb so i guess hit & miss is the truth of normal mail service & im in a recognised address at a hotel currently.
Asking around here in LT the general consensus is FEDEX or nothing
Good luck with your effort

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
I've received from the USA thru normal mailing system with no problem. I've received the following "Scarface DVD from BarnesAndNobles.com, Pictures, CDs" and other things with no problem, i do recommend getting a tracker tho

erik

Aug 23, 2011
I sent a package as a birthday gift to Santo Domingo via UPS and paid threw the roof for it to get there in 3 days. It got there in 3 days but customs held it for 45 days. Since then DR has implemented a new postal system with new zip codes. You can mail your package/letter via the US post office to the post office in a city in DR in care of a persons name. I have sent it to Bani, Azua, San Juan and have had no problems. When the post office gets it they sent a note to the persons home to come and get the package. It takes about 10-14 days. Ex. Correo de Azua, Codigo Postal 71,000 John Doe 123 Main St, Azua Republica Dominicana.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Sorry Erik but I dont think that will work. I think the people at the postal service will think it has luxury goods in it and keep it for themselves.
A mail service only works with a civil service system and penalties for stealing/robbing the mail system.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010

I am using this service to get packages from the states to the DR with excellent tracking and positive results! They both have offices in Miami, give them a call, they might be able to help put a smile on your friend's faces overseas...hope this helps. Both companies offer free membership by the way and are very reasonable.

Business Mail & Cargo and ENCARGO PAQ

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I live in LT for part of the year and use a mail and package forwarding company called CPS. They forward from Fla. to Santo Dom. and then up to Las Terrenas. Either called or e-mail Matt(owner of business) 809-240-5279, cpslasterrenas@yahoo.com and I am sure he can fix you up. Your friends can pick up the merchandise at his store in the Colonial Plaza.

S

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Believe it or not, some months ago, when our youngest was born some people send cards and presents to my EPS box in Miami and others to my home address in Santo Domingo (normal mail). I would receive what was sent to Santo Domingo in about 2-3 weeks, while what was sent to Miami would take 1, 2 and even THREE months, and apparently some things never at all. Conclusion the DR post system is better than the US post system (handling international mail).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't be so quick to blame the US Postal Service! The UPS just gets your packages/letters/etc. to EPS in Miami.
I think the problem is with EPS. They charge too much,and often fail to DELIVER! :devious:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Don't be so quick to blame the US Postal Service! The UPS just gets your packages/letters/etc. to EPS in Miami.
I think the problem is with EPS. They charge too much,and often fail to DELIVER! :devious:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Im not very happy with EPS, they are sometimes very fast, but at times very slow, but in more than one case I had a tracking number from Europe (when being a package) which took 3 months to get registered in the USPS system. Once it showed up there it was in Miami within 2 or 3 days and 2 days later in Santo Domingo. I do suspect that EPS does not really give any priority to letters and other mail, that might just stay for ever and ever in Miami before they decide to finally send it over to Santo Domingo

Lorna R

Dec 12, 2007
I arranged for a 1 year mail box at Mailbox Etc. in Punta Cana and was able to ship without any problems from Canada through to the mail box in the DR. When my DR friends went to pick up the packages I sent them they would have to pay a pickup fee, which I would wire them money for through MoneyMart. The mailbox was in my name and I put their names on it so they could pick up packages. It worked very well this past year.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
Sending mail

I recently used priority mail to send a small document package, the US Postal Service uses Domex which I guess is like our fed Ex, Copycats LOL, but the pacage took about a week to get from NJ to Cotui Dr and delivered for signature to that person for about 30.00 US not bad for peace of mind, next time Id like to see if they send small packages insured, like to send my girl a birthday present.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Sending / Receiving Packages, Letters, etc - Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic

I agree 100% with the reply above of LTSteve that using CPS Las Terrenas or CPS Samana here in our town of Samana is the way to go. Great service and very good prices ( about $5 us / per pound ).

I have ordered many things from Amazon.com and they get shipped thru a CPS address in Miami and then to Santo Domingo, DR and then come here in the Samana region always under 10 days.

If the value of what you bring into Dominican Republic is under $175 us, there is no Custom fees to pay at all. Above that i do believe there is a 15% charge.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
The trick is to send a package and not a letter when using a service like EPS/CPS. Even if you are sending a letter, put it in a box, it will get there a lot faster.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i received a package yesterday in POP via EPS and it was 250 pesos per pound

the account costs 350 per year

just an fyi