worried by overstay

vinnie

Mar 19, 2003
i am on a tourist card and have overstayed by 1 year.could anyone help ease my mind by letting me know how much more or less i should expect to pay when going through immigration. i leave in a few days from santo domingo
thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't sweat it!

According to most posters here, the "fine" is a couple of hundred pesos, you naughty boy!

Hope you had fun qhile you were here.

HB :D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
vinnie said:
i am on a tourist card and have overstayed by 1 year.could anyone help ease my mind by letting me know how much more or less i should expect to pay when going through immigration. i leave in a few days from santo domingo
thanks

If you pay $10 US that would be a lot. There is a sign posted at departure/passport control that says exactly how much it is. 5 years to 100 years is only about US$30.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was going through immigration the other day and noticed the signs. I worked out how much Chirimoyito (aka 'El Ilegal') will have to pay when we travel in July 05. He will have been in the country since September 04, and his fine will come to just RD$250 (just under US$10).

No, we haven't done anything about it yet... :tired:

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
I have over stayed a well

I over stayed my tourist card by 1 month last Sepetember. When I went through customs and they pointed at the board I thought the fine said $160 USD. I started crying and the customs official tore up my old tourist card and gave me a new one showing I have only been in the country for 1 week.

I am also here for about a year and am worried about he penalties. I understood that when Leonal's government came in he revamped the immigration policies and penalties.

Rest assured that as many other DR1 posters have said if you have a problem pull out your wallet and show the customs official $20 USD

Toronto Blonde

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
TorontoBlonde said:
Rest assured that as many other DR1 posters have said if you have a problem pull out your wallet and show the customs official $20 USD

Toronto Blonde

For once I agree with Lechero - there is a price list and it isn't $20 and contrary to what you said nobody said that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
TorontoBlonde said:

Toronto Blonde

- and why bring customs into it, anyway? :rolleyes:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Chirimoya said:
- and why bring customs into it, anyway? :rolleyes:

I think she meant Immigration. Customs are the ones to bribe when you exiting the terminal doors and you don't want them to check your suitcases in DR.
In canada when you are entering the country you deal with customs unless you have immigration problems. So she probably mean to to say Immigration.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I left 2 days ago after 66 days, the 'fine' was RD$ 150 as posted on the board for 15 days to 3 months. I cannot remember the rest of the list, it would be useful for future reference if someone could post the list.

By the way, just to confirm I was still in the RD, the agent tried to short change me by 100 pesos!!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
One time

I over stayed. When the agent looked at my passport with about 30 stamped trips he said"wow you really like our country!" Then said -you know I can charge you $10.00 for the overstay-long pause-" but Adios have a nice trip."
JOHN

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i recently overstayed my trip as well . was in DR for 2 1/2 mo and when i got to the customs guy in the SD airport he was a jerk. first he told me i had to pay a fine . so i was like aiight...( he spoke no english)...how much? and he showed me the sign and i looked and the first one was 15days -3 mo like 250 pesos...so i was like ok i don't have any pesos you take dollars? he said yes and im like how much is that? (knowing the exchange rate was 28)...he doesn't get out a calculator or a chart or nothing and just throws out a dollar amount i think he said like 15 or 20 dollars and im like haha nice try the pesos only 28 how could that be like 15-20? and this english speaking lady came over to "help" him and i told her how thats like 9 dollars or something and i just gave him 10 to get out of there....so watch out and bring a calculator if you don't have pesos cause they will try to get you....

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Relllaxxxxxx!!

Listen,
I have just returned from overstaying 8 1/2 months. I too was a little concerned but..........$RD500.00 later ("Fine")
I still had some money to buy a $RD1,200.00 beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Personally, I think these fees go straight into the pocket of the Immigration person that processes you to go home. Two years ago a very nice lady took us for RD$500 each and last year it was RD$1000 each. I knew it was wrong, but didn't know any better and was just glad to get through there. We are usually here from mid November to end of April. Were are the rates posted in POP?