Dominican Stuff in Montreal??!!

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Hola
My husband has been in Montreal for just over 2 monthes and he is missing some sense of home at the moment. Last night we found a "restaurant" that served chivo and yuca - he was very happy with that. It was more like a small supermarket on St. Hubert.
What I am asking is that if anyone should know of other restaurants, stores or any such thing please inform me so that we can check it out.
Thanks so much!

Grace - if you should see this e-mail me its been tooooo long - and I miss my second mother!!!!!!!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hi Melissa,

In the area you mentioned (St-Hubert) there are many small grocery stores that sell batata, yuca, platanos, bacalao, and all the MAGGI seasonings you need to whip up a typical Dominican meal.

There is also RESTAURANT SOSUA at 6548 St-Laurent which is 100% Dominican and they usually have sancocho and tonnes of DR atmo. Around this time of year they should also have bacalao and habichuelas con dulce to ease the homesickness pangs! I heard that it was for sale so perhaps you should call in advance (271-6622).

In my neck of the woods (NDG), I can also get galleticas saladitas, platanitos, and Caf? Santo Domingo.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Melissa,

I just want to give a second vote for Restaurant Sosua. I was pleasantly surprised. You should have no problems finding some cultural Dominican stores in Montr?al Nord in general which includes food, restaurants, nightclub(s), hair salons etc. As well you may want to pick up a Gu?a Hisp?nica (Hispanic business listing) from any Latin owned store to find out where all the local Latin stores are located.

-Lesley D-

Jane J. said:
Hi Melissa,

In the area you mentioned (St-Hubert) there are many small grocery stores that sell batata, yuca, platanos, bacalao, and all the MAGGI seasonings you need to whip up a typical Dominican meal.

There is also RESTAURANT SOSUA at 6548 St-Laurent which is 100% Dominican and they usually have sancocho and tonnes of DR atmo. Around this time of year they should also have bacalao and habichuelas con dulce to ease the homesickness pangs! I heard that it was for sale so perhaps you should call in advance (271-6622).

In my neck of the woods (NDG), I can also get galleticas saladitas, platanitos, and Caf? Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
Vieille Europe / Old Europe on blvd St. Laurent

now sells dominican coffee since a few months. i believe they import the unroasted beans, then roast them on site. very good coffee. i don't buy cafe santo domingo here because it's already ground and i don't find it terribly fresh. the vieille europe is superior. :tired:

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for all that infor - Jane - I live in Cote St. Luc so I am not far from you - I will call that restaurant though and see if they are still around - Sancocho sounds nice!!!
Anything else always helps -
Thanks all.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Rosemont

If you should walk on St-Zotique/Beaubien between St-Denis and St-Laurent
or even on Belanger. all in the same area (march? Jean-Talon) You shouldn't have any trouble finding a litle piece of everything you're looking for.

Estofa on St-Hubert is relatively new and from what I've seen so far, the food is not that great.

If your husband wants to play/watch baseball. They play all summer on Saturdays at Pere Marquette park (Bellechasse between Ch.Colomb and Papineau). Unless they go back to Lafontaine Park.

All the best
Milagro

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks again

Estofa is where we got food last week - It was ok he said - As for baseball - unfortunately we are away up north all summer working - but thats cool too...
Thanks for your help..

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Restaurant Sosua

We went to Restaurant Sosua and it was great. The owners are from Montreal and Sosua. The food is great and my husband said that the rice was just like home - Compared to Estofa - well you can't Sosua was MUCH better!!!!!!!!! Go in for some food or just a drink they have big open arms!!!
Thanks all and go and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Melissa,

Is it for sale like Jane J said? That is the most important question.

As well here is a website for Montreal Latinos. I like it. It gives me info that I need when I need it. Meaning Latin establishments and events. It's in French/ Spanish so I hope you speak one of the two.

www.elchasquilatino.com

-Lesley D-

Melissa said:
We went to Restaurant Sosua and it was great. The owners are from Montreal and Sosua. The food is great and my husband said that the rice was just like home - Compared to Estofa - well you can't Sosua was MUCH better!!!!!!!!! Go in for some food or just a drink they have big open arms!!!
Thanks all and go and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Sosua

Hola
No its not for sale as far as I understand - though if a really good offer should come by I am sure they would not pass it up.
As for spanish or french - I guess I am lucky as I am fluent in both languages.
If there is anything I can do for you let me know -
Thanks for the website.
Melissa

SID

Mar 31, 2003
Lesley D said:
Melissa,

Is it for sale like Jane J said? That is the most important question.

As well here is a website for Montreal Latinos. I like it. It gives me info that I need when I need it. Meaning Latin establishments and events. It's in French/ Spanish so I hope you speak one of the two.

www.elchasquilatino.com

-Lesley D-

Hey Melissa,
The restaurant Sosua is still there, i just drove by it yesterday. Let me know if the food is tasty. Gracias!

SID

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Regarding the sale of Restaurant Sosua, this was an unsubstantiated rumour that I heard. If anyone really wants to know, I suggest they ask the owners themselves...

Melissa, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Just caught up with this thread right now. A friend of ours was going to travel to Montreal because Restaurante Sosua was advertised "for sale" on the internet. I haven't talked to him since, so I don't know if he ever went, but unless our friend really got his wires crossed, Marlin must've been thinking of selling. Whether or not he was serious, or if he was just seeing how much he could make if he sold it, I don't know.

Last edited:

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
Jane J. said:
Regarding the sale of Restaurant Sosua, this was an unsubstantiated rumour that I heard. If anyone really wants to know, I suggest they ask the owners themselves...

Melissa, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

he told me 2 yrs ago he was trying to sell. wanted to go back to puerto plata.

starzephyr1

Apr 27, 2005
salon

I visit my mother in montreal often and we have yet to find a dominican salon.... can anyone recommend one preferably around Plateau Mont-Royal?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Melissa said:
Hola
My husband has been in Montreal for just over 2 monthes and he is missing some sense of home at the moment. Last night we found a "restaurant" that served chivo and yuca - he was very happy with that. It was more like a small supermarket on St. Hubert.
What I am asking is that if anyone should know of other restaurants, stores or any such thing please inform me so that we can check it out.
Thanks so much!

Grace - if you should see this e-mail me its been tooooo long - and I miss my second mother!!!!!!!!
You canadian girls don't stop do you?
You bring them sankies out of their natural enviroment only to have to go through the embarassment of driving around town asking where your sankies can support his dominican food cravings?.....When are you canadian and British girls gonna value yourselves?

You must stop babying these guys and let them find out and learn the hard way that it is not really paradise outside the DR as many other paint the pictures.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mr_DR,

Why do you make unsubstantiated comments? Have you been to Montreal? I think you should go. A wonderful city needless to say that hosts a large Dominican community. The OP has EVERY right to ask if she does not know. Comments like yours (always) make me wonder.

LDG.

Mr_DR said:
You canadian girls don't stop do you?
You bring them sankies out of their natural enviroment only to have to go through the embarassment of driving around town asking where your sankies can support his dominican food cravings?.....When are you canadian and British girls gonna value yourselves?

You must stop babying these guys and let them find out and learn the hard way that it is not really paradise outside the DR as many other paint the pictures.

Last edited: