Importing Car Question

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
I was just wondering what the deal was with them not allowing you to import a car that's more than 5 years old? I mean what does the age of the car have to do with anything unless it's a piece of crap car? like I have a '98 BMW 318I and it's like a brand new car. Kinda stupid if you ask me I think they just go by the millage of the car instead of the age.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Party_Line said:
I was just wondering what the deal was with them not allowing you to import a car that's more than 5 years old? I mean what does the age of the car have to do with anything unless it's a piece of crap car? like I have a '98 BMW 318I and it's like a brand new car. Kinda stupid if you ask me I think they just go by the millage of the car instead of the age.
The essential point is that anything older than 5 years must be a piece of crap. There are a lot of unscrupulous folks outside of the DR who have been dumping pieces of crap for a long time. So the idea (admittedly arbitrary) is that if a car is older than 5 years it must be junk.

Of course I also have a 1998 Navigator with about 40K miles on it that looks perfectly new. I can't bring it down without a serious hassle, apparently.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Another car question

Not trying to steal your thread, but if a returning Dominican is returning from living elsewhere, do they have to pay duty on a 3 year old car?

mwgarretson

Mar 19, 2005
I believe you can import your 1999 or older car. You are looking to pay around a $RD20,000 penalty for doing so.

But remember your car will undoubtedly go up in value after it hits DR soil.

I am in this process, and I received clearance from customs to import a 1997 Chrysler Sebring with 80,000 miles.

I am still confused about the tax ramifications though. My question is what to expect to pay in taxes...as I am a legal Dominican resident and have the 1-time "tax exemption"...more of an art than a science with latin america...