Are Transit Visas For the USA easy to optain?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Just wondering if it was hard for a dominican to get a USA Traansit visa?
since alot of flights go via the USA
has anyone obtained one?what was the process like?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm sure I've read here that since 911 there is no such thing as a transit visa through the U.S.

Where is he/she going?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
....I think they still have them............

Anna Coniglio said:
I'm sure I've read here that since 911 there is no such thing as a transit visa through the U.S.

Where is he/she going?
..............but they are just as hard as getting a regular tourist visa, whereas before, they were easier to obtain.......

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
JC171 said:
Just wondering if it was hard for a dominican to get a USA Traansit visa?
since alot of flights go via the USA
has anyone obtained one?what was the process like?

To sum it up, no. Since all the airports are open, once you are in the departure area for a flight, even international you can just leave. And doubtlessly, a majority will do that, or switch to a domestic flight to NYC, or wherever and never be seen again. So a transit visa and tourist visa are the same effort, e.g. largely impossible to get. If you are going to other countries you can switch in Cuba or Panama without one. Or fly non stop to Europe assuming you actually can get a visa there.

Dec 9, 2002
I have recently been looking into this as a way of getting my Dominican husband to England. Basically, there is no longer a transit visa, there is, however, a Non Immigrant Visa which does the same job. Except, you have to fill out an application form, pay a fee of US$100 and wait at least 84 days for an interview. There is no guarantee that the visa will be granted.

Where are you trying to get your Dominican to?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Dominican Babe said:
I have recently been looking into this as a way of getting my Dominican husband to England.

Doesn't BA fly to the UK direct? Or Iberia to Madrid and then transit to the UK? (Ditto Air France) - airports that don't have immigration, e.g.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
windeguy said:
As others have said in certain degrees, ...A Dominican can fly through Panama or take a direct flight to your preferred destination where they have a valid visa, if possible.

And this part that I said to a total degree four posts back.

Dec 9, 2002
Doesn't BA fly to the UK direct? Or Iberia to Madrid and then transit to the UK? (Ditto Air France) - airports that don't have immigration, e.g.
No they don't, things would be much much easier if they did! The only direct flights between DR and UK are the British charter flights, and they won't allow him on them. It's been really difficult finding out about transit visas - it seems that for both France and Spain he would need to apply beforehand for a transit visa. The only routes I have found so far are via Holland or Germany, as neither of these countries require an additional visa of any description. Just trying to find reasonably priced flights now :cross-eye

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Gong to the UK

Try going via the Turks & Caicos. British Airways flies from Providenciales to London twice a week. You can catch Skyking to Providenciales from either POP or Santiago. Can't help you with whatever kind of transit visa you'd need in the Turks.