Brick

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
I was just wondering if many people build with brick in the DR? I'm going to be building a condo/townhouse complex and it's built out of cement block but It's got brick for the trim on the balcony railing and trim on the wall.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Realated question, how about building with traditional stone block. How is it cut? I would love to build something out of that beautiful material is that feasible?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Brick? Rough hewn stone?

In my new [2 1/2 years since purchase] we made 2 intereir walls of brick, covering the origianl block.
* It gives a nice, warm New England - American - British look to the rooms [living room & master bedroom] & the walls. I find it quite pleasing.
* On 1 entire side of the house, exterior walls, we [ie Haitian stome masons] put an exterior wall / facade of rough hwen stone. Great fun! You go to a local quarry & sselect your own rough stnoes; then they are delivered. Much warmer looking that the original block.
* Note that I am speaking @ covering original, block walls. Neither the brick nor the stone walls in my home are load bearing. If you would like to have a leisureury look at these areas in my house[in POP], perhaps profiting from my poor taste or mistakes, please PM me.
* There are many rough hewn walls, etc. in POP, most of which I find attractive to beautirul. Load bearing? I don't think so, but you'll have to check. Good luck. A fun process!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I built a brick school house one time

But it is not cost-effective.

There are places in Santiago where you can buy antique bricks, and people use them for flooring.

In Santiago, there is a place called Rinc?n de Piedra that will measure your area and send the stone to your house.. It is quarried outside of town.

HB

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Ladrillo

Bricks or 'ladrillos' in spanish are much more costly in the DR, that's why most buildings are built with the ever-present 'blocks'.
Bartolomeo

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
Thanks, shouldn't be too expensive since it's just going to be used for trim on the balcony railing and the cortyard wall.