Self-Adhesive Vinyl Tiles

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They Don't Stick In the DR!

Too much moisture in the cement walls,and high humidity in the air! cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Thank you all for your comments. In that case, any suggestions to cover up some very ugly bathroom tiles! I?m renting, so I don?t want to spend a big amount of money! :surprised

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
juanita said:
Thank you all for your comments. In that case, any suggestions to cover up some very ugly bathroom tiles! I?m renting, so I don?t want to spend a big amount of money! :surprised

Nail down a subfloor of plywood (or tear up the old tiles but that is tough and they may be asbestos), and then use ceramic tiles. Or you could try metal or plastic lath over the floor tiles and then mud and ceramic over that - is the floor wood or cement? Nailing lath to concrete woudl be no picnic.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Really Shouldn't Cost you Much!

Find a "Tile Guy" and ask him how much to chip out the old tile and install the new ones?
Then YOU measure the square footage of the floor(They can install the tile,but are really bad at "Eyeballing" the sq.footage)
You can go to any hardware store(In Santo Domingo,try Hache,or Americana Department store )
buy your tile,and away you go!
Make sure that your installer has a "Tile Cutter" before you hire him.
I would recommend my guy,but he drank himself to death last year!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Criss Colon said:
Find a "Tile Guy" and ask him how much to chip out the old tile and install the new ones?
Then YOU measure the square footage of the floor(They can install the tile,but are really bad at "Eyeballing" the sq.footage)
You can go to any hardware store(In Santo Domingo,try Hache,or Americana Department store )
What he said. Buy cheap-a** tiles, since you are renting. Then if you want buy some "accent" tiles to make it look better. Also Ferreteria Cuesta in Plaza Central has those combination bathtubs with plastic walls that look like white tiles for about 7000.00 pesos, but you'll be lucky if it fits in your bathroom, plus with 7000.00 you'd be almost done with ceramic tiles. Somebody that is good with tiles (maybe installing them diagonally will give'm a modern touch, but he has to be really good) and about 15,000.00 well spent will enable you to get everything new, even the toilet and sink.

There is another way, but I don't know if it's possible here: paint. There are special paints that go on top of tiles and hold on to it. And you can buy stick-on accents. I haven't seen them here though, maybe check with somebody in the US. Also be aware that importing chemicals is expensive.

Short term solutions will only last a couple of weeks.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"is the floor wood or cement?'' Not sure what is under the tiles, they are still in good shape, just not very appealing. I did a ?paint? job on my kitchen wall tiles with a rubber paint used for swimming pools and it came out great! I wish I could just drop a gallon on this ugly floor and be done with it! :tired:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juanita said:
"is the floor wood or cement?'' Not sure what is under the tiles, they are still in good shape, just not very appealing. I did a ?paint? job on my kitchen wall tiles with a rubber paint used for swimming pools and it came out great! I wish I could just drop a gallon on this ugly floor and be done with it! :tired:
There is floor paint. I just don't know if it will "anchor" to ceramic tiles.

I am sure you have cement under the tiles.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Criss Colon said:
There is no reason to chip out the old tiles. instal the new tiles over the old ones. Of course you will have to cut the doors to fit, no big deal. We re-tiled our entire house last year & it is magnificent! Canadian Bob.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The reason why I want to look for a ?cheap? way to cover the floor (and walls) is because I don?t own the apartment so I don?t want to invest too much. I just got back from Ferreteria Americana where they have the vinyl tiles for $45 pesos each. I?m still looking at all the options, also just found on the web a product called Armorpoxy which can be used to paint floor tiles. Also looked at the paint and was recommended Kilz Total One Primer for wall ceramic. The search goes on! :classic:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
juanita said:
The reason why I want to look for a ?cheap? way to cover the floor (and walls) is because I don?t own the apartment so I don?t want to invest too much. I just got back from Ferreteria Americana where they have the vinyl tiles for $45 pesos each. I?m still looking at all the options, also just found on the web a product called Armorpoxy which can be used to paint floor tiles. Also looked at the paint and was recommended Kilz Total One Primer for wall ceramic. The search goes on! :classic:
The vinyl flooring also comes in rolls which I beleive is less expensive (and probably easier to apply) than the vinyl tiles. I don't know if it's available in the DR.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Found Them! Ferreteria Americana John F. Kennedy (Santo Domingo)
$22 pesos (12" x 12")!