Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Self-Adhesive Vinyl Tiles

Has anyone seen these in the stores somewhere in the DR?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default They Don't Stick In the DR!

Too much moisture in the cement walls,and high humidity in the air! cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

But you can buy them in 8A (ochoa)

Ceramic tiles are pretty much the same price though and last much longer. (i.e. forever)

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferreteria Cuesta Bella Vista Mall. They are excellent quality, but as CC said very bad for flooring, too humid here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your comments. In that case, any suggestions to cover up some very ugly bathroom tiles! I’m renting, so I don’t want to spend a big amount of money!

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita
    Thank you all for your comments. In that case, any suggestions to cover up some very ugly bathroom tiles! I’m renting, so I don’t want to spend a big amount of money!
    Nail down a subfloor of plywood (or tear up the old tiles but that is tough and they may be asbestos), and then use ceramic tiles. Or you could try metal or plastic lath over the floor tiles and then mud and ceramic over that - is the floor wood or cement? Nailing lath to concrete woudl be no picnic.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It Really Shouldn't Cost you Much!

Find a "Tile Guy" and ask him how much to chip out the old tile and install the new ones?
    Then YOU measure the square footage of the floor(They can install the tile,but are really bad at "Eyeballing" the sq.footage)
    You can go to any hardware store(In Santo Domingo,try Hache,or Americana Department store )
    buy your tile,and away you go!
    Make sure that your installer has a "Tile Cutter" before you hire him.
    I would recommend my guy,but he drank himself to death last year!!!

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    Find a "Tile Guy" and ask him how much to chip out the old tile and install the new ones?
    Then YOU measure the square footage of the floor(They can install the tile,but are really bad at "Eyeballing" the sq.footage)
    You can go to any hardware store(In Santo Domingo,try Hache,or Americana Department store )
    buy your tile,and away you go!
    Make sure that your installer has a "Tile Cutter" before you hire him.
    I would recommend my guy,but he drank himself to death last year!!!
    What he said. Buy cheap-a** tiles, since you are renting. Then if you want buy some "accent" tiles to make it look better. Also Ferreteria Cuesta in Plaza Central has those combination bathtubs with plastic walls that look like white tiles for about 7000.00 pesos, but you'll be lucky if it fits in your bathroom, plus with 7000.00 you'd be almost done with ceramic tiles. Somebody that is good with tiles (maybe installing them diagonally will give'm a modern touch, but he has to be really good) and about 15,000.00 well spent will enable you to get everything new, even the toilet and sink.

There is another way, but I don't know if it's possible here: paint. There are special paints that go on top of tiles and hold on to it. And you can buy stick-on accents. I haven't seen them here though, maybe check with somebody in the US. Also be aware that importing chemicals is expensive.

Short term solutions will only last a couple of weeks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"is the floor wood or cement?'' Not sure what is under the tiles, they are still in good shape, just not very appealing. I did a “paint” job on my kitchen wall tiles with a rubber paint used for swimming pools and it came out great! I wish I could just drop a gallon on this ugly floor and be done with it!

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita
    "is the floor wood or cement?'' Not sure what is under the tiles, they are still in good shape, just not very appealing. I did a “paint” job on my kitchen wall tiles with a rubber paint used for swimming pools and it came out great! I wish I could just drop a gallon on this ugly floor and be done with it!
    There is floor paint. I just don't know if it will "anchor" to ceramic tiles.

I am sure you have cement under the tiles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast