caribe tours

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Is this a private company providing inter-city transportation or is this company have government shares?

I've noted that everytime we travel from city to city, we pay less than $5 bucks, and I am wondering how caribe tours stay in business

The buses are usually never fully occupied and there are several buses making different routes.

There are 58 seats. I don't know how many routes a particular bus makes, but consider gasoline used, maintenance and employees....how do they stay in business?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Private company.

Foreigners think in terms of dollar equivalents---it is only US5, for example. But that is RD$150, and a lot of money to a Dominican who may not be earning more than RD$6,000 a year, if that.

One way they stay in business is by paying Dominican wages, not US wages. They wouldn't survive if they had to pay US wages and charge US prices.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
i'm thinking in respect to the cost of the buses (+/- $100,000K),
Daily 2 hour route fully occupied will use, say about 10 gallons of gasoline, but all of the maintenance, the many staff....providing good image/service.
In brazil, where I think those buses were made...busscar, the charge from city to city one hour is a minimum of $14

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Then they must be very efficient at what they do. Metro has similar prices.

Just comes to think what public bus service would be if it was operated by these two companies, instead of the corruption that has traditionally taken over the service.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Ken said:
Private company.

Foreigners think in terms of dollar equivalents---it is only US5, for example. But that is RD$150, and a lot of money to a Dominican who may not be earning more than RD$6,000 a year, if that.

One way they stay in business is by paying Dominican wages, not US wages. They wouldn't survive if they had to pay US wages and charge US prices.
Don't forget that Caribe Tours also is almost synonymous with UPS here in the U.S. When I want to move something from Point A to Point B across the country I always use Caribe Tours. They even delivered a washer/dryer set for me from the capitol!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
passengers - loss leaders?

I wouldn't be surprised if the parcel delivery service was the profit making side of the business!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Speaking of Best of DR

I share TICDR?s wonder about caribe tours? pricing. I thought it maybe the best bargain I found in the DR. I went from Santo Domingo to Sosua, over 100 miles I believe, for the equivalent of about US $7. I would have considered it a bargain at twice the price and reasonable at twice that. (Don?t tell Them that, though.)

I sat with a young lady named Friesa who works as a dancer on the animation team at one of the AIs around SD. She had two days off and was going to Santiago to see her novia and amigas and go dancing. (I guess she really likes to dance.) We discussed the pros and cons of AIs. When the bus stopped at a traffic light in Santiago, she pointed out a dance club and said, ?That?s where I?ll be tonight?.

The bus had two TV monitors and a VCR. They played ?Under Siege? in Spanish for our entertainment. Contrary to everything I have ever read or heard, our bus was not frigid from the AC. I brought a light jacket, but never needed to put it on. All in all, it was an experience worth a lot more than US $7 (Don?t tell Them that, though.)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
[I wouldn't be surprised if the parcel delivery service was the profit making side of the business!]

While traveling from Santo Domingo to Sanchez I always wondered the same thing (about how they make money) since the bus was always 3/4 empty.

Chirimoya is exactly right. Transporting packages is where they make their money.

Great mode of trasportation though, the same with Metro.

Victor, I think the bus you rode on must have been the exception or they are finnally listening to the passengers, because the buses I rode were always freezing.

Juniper

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Metro

I have always enjoyed taking Metro tours across the center of the country from Moca to Santo Domingo and back. It's a nice way to see the countyside.

Moca