Marriage

Dominican_gurl

Apr 27, 2004
I would like to ask you all for your help. I am a Canadian girl and in the past 2 years I have fallen in LOVE with a man living in the Dominican Republic. We plan to get married and i will be moving there permenantly within the next year. I just don't know where to start with the marriage process, i would like to be married on my next trip there, which is taking place in May. Please give me any info you may have. Thanks so much for your help!!

Dominican_gurl

Apr 27, 2004
thank you Anna, I know what this man is about, and i know he isnt trying to come to Canada. We love eachother and want to eb together, Im just asking for your help. thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like P. T Barnum once said:

"There's a sucker born every minute!"

Who cares any more?

Sorry Anna, but this is just dumb.

Maybe she'll tell us that the guy is a bank manager for Banco Popular and has his own house in El Cacique? Takes care of his sisters who are in school and he is finishing his MBA through the APEC PRogram with McGill? They met while he was on a field trip to Canada?

Of course she is a brilliant multi-lingual person with huge technical talents and three or four job offers here from international Fortune 500 companies.

Puleeeze!////

1) Get a certificate of health from your local health agency
2) get a cert of the fact that you are single
(Try to get one from him too!)
3) Your Passport
4) Your birth certificate

And maybe a psyche exam that you are semi-coherant and sane??????

HB :(:(:(

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Yes, I know too you did not ask for advice... but it is hard not to comment... Even if he is not trying to get to Canada, he will for sure ( unless his standards of life is what Hillbilly suggested ) raise his level of living by living with you... Be very, very sure before getting married. And LIVE together first on a daily basis in the everyday life..
:confused:

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
carina said:
Yes, I know too you did not ask for advice... but it is hard not to comment... Even if he is not trying to get to Canada, he will for sure ( unless his standards of life is what Hillbilly suggested ) raise his level of living by living with you... Be very, very sure before getting married. And LIVE together first on a daily basis in the everyday life..
:confused:

yeah, it may be a good idea to try "marido" (sp?) before married.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Dominican_gurl said:
I would like to ask you all for your help. I am a Canadian girl and in the past 2 years I have fallen in LOVE with a man living in the Dominican Republic. We plan to get married and i will be moving there permenantly within the next year. I just don't know where to start with the marriage process, i would like to be married on my next trip there, which is taking place in May. Please give me any info you may have. Thanks so much for your help!!
You should not marry him
Just live with him for six months and then decide if it is something you really want to do. It is not the same thing being with someone for a brief visit than living together. Just check most of the failed relations from other members of this forum and you will see what we are talking about.

Easy Money

Mar 23, 2005
The road less travelled

You and your sanky's motives are dubious at the very least; the information that you seek is readily available on our Canadian government website. Moreover, the fact that you found this forum and posted a thread here is indicative of a need for rationalizing your life choices for a partner.

On a more personal note: my stepdaughter hooked up with a guy from the US that she met on the internet. She married him in Canada and moved down to the States with him; this was after a 6 month correspondence on the Net. She got pregnant and had a daughter and then found out that he had a son from a previous relationship. Woops! I guess he didn't deem that important enough to share with her prior to knocking her up.

The bottom line here is that you should maybe take some valium and get your hormones settled down before they hoodwink you into making a decision that can quite easily affect your life and health for quite a long period of time. Your "true love" has a totally different value system from what you were raised with and I seriously doubt if he has any true consideration for your spiritual growth.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree. It is not only a matter of his plans or not plans with a possible marriage, there are cultural differences and ways of approaching life.
This can be a good thing in a marriage, but if so all cards have to be layed on the table to start with, and many common decisions have to be made between the two people involved. Before a marriage.
Also history have to be clear, does he have children, have he been married before, what does his family expect of you ( in most cases you get married to a family, that expects things from you before and even after a marriage - mainly money ).
So once again, I know I am repeating myself and also other posters, live with the guy without getting married, try it out. If you plan to live here with him do it when you know how it is in all senses, the everyday life, the family, the financial part of the life etc etc.
Then, if you feel good about it, get your residency, cedula, get married and live happily. You lose nothing by waiting a few months to make sure this is right for you.
Why the rush to come down and get married? If you are worried he might go somewhere else, then this is not a healthy choice, and if he is of the type that goes somewhere else, he will do it, married or not.

Go easy girl, we have one life only that we know of!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Mr_DR said:
You should not marry him
Just live with him for six months and then decide if it is something you really want to do. It is not the same thing being with someone for a brief visit than living together. Just check most of the failed relations from other members of this forum and you will see what we are talking about.

Hey MR. DR you sure about 6 months, you wanna make a bet?