Time Clock for Watchman

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Our condo complex would like to have a way of encouraging our night watchman to stay awake and make his rounds. We thought about a watchman's time clock, but the ones one the internet are for large installations and more than we want to pay. Is there anything available in the DR, either sold commercially or that somebody has fabricated, that can help us. We are thinking of something that the night watchman must trigger and that, hopefully, gives a record of the time that he does so.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Coqui....

Ken said:
Our condo complex would like to have a way of encouraging our night watchman to stay awake and make his rounds. We thought about a watchman's time clock, but the ones one the internet are for large installations and more than we want to pay. Is there anything available in the DR, either sold commercially or that somebody has fabricated, that can help us. We are thinking of something that the night watchman must trigger and that, hopefully, gives a record of the time that he does so.
I don't know where to get a cheap punch clock, but have you tried Crazy Glue?
You sneak up on him while he's sleeping, glue his hand to the shotgun, his elbow to his knee, his 2 feet together, whatever happens to be touching another part of his body, then let him try to tell you he wasn't sleeping.
It's called positive manipulation through negative reinforcement.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Install Dummy Cameras...they are not real ones. Make him believe he is being watched at all times.

Install Dummy button switches around the condo complex. Explain that when he punches it, it records time and date.

From time to time watch him and see if he is still falling for the trick.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Could you try..

Years ago when I was in the manufacturing biz I used to see/buy these things at auctions of businesses going out. Always very cheap. Twenty to one hundred dollars. Perhaps you might know of DFZ biz that might have ones being replaced, auction,etc? Or, larger type retail store, restaurant going out, where you might get one cheap. E-bay?

JOHN

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No Crazy Glue?

Ok, you didn't like my Crazy Glue thing.
When I was a kid, my dad gave me a watchman's punchclock to tinker with.
This unit was round, 8 to 9 inches in diameter, portable, and it had an aperture for a special type of key.
Keys were chained to different locations on the property, and the watchman had to walk around, insert the key and turn it.
This would stamp the key number, as well as the time, on an internal roll of paper.
There must be a more modern version of this type of device on the market now.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You also hired somebody from Sleeping Beauties Watchmen?

Well, I don't have any idea where to buy one of those clocks. But I have semi-related anecdote:

Years ago, when I was still living with my parents, my dad hired a night watchman for our house. Of course the guy slept the night away, even more, he snored, loudly! Anyway, late at night my father, or brother, would arrive late at night and find him sound asleep, and little bastids that they are, proceed to hide his machete, or his torch, sometimes his shoes. This goes on for months.

One night my dad comes back after having installed a car alarm (they weren't very common in those days). He arrives, and as customary, the guy is snoring and drooling on the side of his mouth. Dad gets in the house and hides and activates the alarm.

Peeeeeeeeeeeee!

The guy awakes like hit by a lightning bolt. The alarm is off again and he can't quite understand what happens, but the guy is not disconcerted enough not to go back to sleep 30 seconds later. My dad repeats the dose and the guys wakes up again. They kept doing this for a few minutes until dad got tired and went to bed.

Next morning he calls him.

"Bonjo, did you know I just installed a clock with an alarm that beeps every time you fall asleep. It didn't record you to be awake for long last night".

"Well, Don Rafael, I've decided that I cannot longer work here. I am going back to my campo to grow onions".

Too bad the country was in the middle of one of its worse draughts in decades and growing onions had been banned.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
OK, I've got the answer, all I ask is that whom ever perfects the product shares half of the profits with me ;). Modify a shock collar (the ones some people use to train dogs) with a timing device that if reset every 15 minutes will give the guard a "gentle" reminder that he needs to stay awake!!!

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Rocky said:
Ok, you didn't like my Crazy Glue thing.
When I was a kid, my dad gave me a watchman's punchclock to tinker with.
This unit was round, 8 to 9 inches in diameter, portable, and it had an aperture for a special type of key.
Keys were chained to different locations on the property, and the watchman had to walk around, insert the key and turn it.
This would stamp the key number, as well as the time, on an internal roll of paper.
There must be a more modern version of this type of device on the market now.

Marc,

I have seen the security guy at Harrisons carrying such a device. I used to sell them in my antique store!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Ken said:
I tried installing an electrical time clock but it didn't work because the electricity wasn't reliable enough. I'd have to run my 60Kw generator all the time to make sure the time was accurate! Ick.

There are some guard time clocks that require winding, these are the best. The guard has a key that is used to wind the clock. If the clock unwinds, it stamps a time on a piece of paper inside of it.

All that said, "detecting" laziness is not near as good as preventing it. Think of some motivation to prevent it instead of detecting and punishing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CyaBye3015 said:
OK, I've got the answer, all I ask is that whom ever perfects the product shares half of the profits with me ;). Modify a shock collar (the ones some people use to train dogs) with a timing device that if reset every 15 minutes will give the guard a "gentle" reminder that he needs to stay awake!!!
I love it.
You're a genious.

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
wand

Ken said:
i am in the security business in the usa some people use a regular time clock
and have him punch in,the elec wand system cost apx 700.00 usd,the time
clock (watchman system) used about 300.00 usd + about 15.00 per key,tape
ect. the wand is a lot better ,does readouts,and you can name each key,
emp> front gate,lobby ect if you need an adress let me know

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Fabulous Idea!
That's only 4 months salary for a watchman.
Perhaps more cost efficient to try the crazy glue method first.

I was thinking maybe a few of those large rodent glue boards under his shoes might do the trick nailed to the floor. The only problem is he might pee in his pants.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Ken said:

Ken, if you think that there is a market for something like that I can design a product that can do what you want and then some for far less than what is available. If you're interested shoot me a PM. Could we have the start of a new biz?

NotLurking.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
john cast said:
i am in the security business in the usa some people use a regular time clock
and have him punch in,the elec wand system cost apx 700.00 usd,the time
clock (watchman system) used about 300.00 usd + about 15.00 per key,tape
ect. the wand is a lot better ,does readouts,and you can name each key,
emp> front gate,lobby ect if you need an adress let me know