Living in the DR

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Seems to me by reading posts about,housing, transportation, schooling, health care, roadways, medical assistance, security, cost-of-living, electric, that for the most part everyone seems to be happy and make due in what they have or not. Now from what I've read DR is quite expensive for a Third World country. What brings people there to relocate and take the chance in retirement or work in . Now there are many other Third World countries that people can choose so why DR?

I'd also like to know from everyone their thoughts on the cheapest Third World country to live, work, or retire in and why? :classic:

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Because...

easygoin said:
Seems to me by reading posts about,housing, transportation, schooling, health care, roadways, medical assistance, security, cost-of-living, electric, that for the most part everyone seems to be happy and make due in what they have or not. Now from what I've read DR is quite expensive for a Third World country. What brings people there to relocate and take the chance in retirement or work in . Now there are many other Third World countries that people can choose so why DR?

I'd also like to know from everyone their thoughts on the cheapest Third World country to live, work, or retire in and why? :classic:

Because it is the DR. To know it is to love it and to hate it but to always love it more. It isn't about the cheapest country to leave in it is about the most livable and the most lovable. If anyone can suggest a better country for you to live in, I will argue them into the ground.

Regards

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
easygoin said:

I have the exact questions, "easygoin"! Why do people move to DR, when there are so many other countries that for me seems equal or often better for re-loaction!?

I think one answer is simply location! If you come from US, then obviously DR is very close. Another answer is that many people do not seem to have been anywhere else? It was "love at first sight" and then they stop there. I guess they also eat the same type of bread every day... (sorry for the nasty joke, but I do think I have a point)

But is DR a Third World country? Maybe there is some kind of definition? I don't know?

For me, if I could choose freely, I would choose Malaysia for my re-location! A fantastic blend of cultures, traditions, East versus West, religions etc. Good infrastructure, low criminality, people speak English. Excellent location, right in South East Asia, which is a part of the world that I truly love, and with lots of exciting destinations close by.

I do not have any family any more (parents dead: no contact with the rest-of-'em) so visits to Europe would not have to be too often. And there is enough "culture" (in my definition) in Malaysia and bookshops with English language books to keep me happy.

I'd go to Malaysia in a heartbeat if I could. But that is me... I am sure it would not be for "gringito" and many other people. There are a zillion very personal reasons for choosing where to live, so I guess a debate on this issue will only be... well, you know!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Voyager said:
I have the exact questions, "easygoin"! Why do people move to DR, when there are so many other countries that for me seems equal or often better for re-loaction!?

I think one answer is simply location! If you come from US, then obviously DR is very close. Another answer is that many people do not seem to have been anywhere else? It was "love at first sight" and then they stop there. I guess they also eat the same type of bread every day... (sorry for the nasty joke, but I do think I have a point)

But is DR a Third World country? Maybe there is some kind of definition? I don't know?

For me, if I could choose freely, I would choose Malaysia for my re-location! A fantastic blend of cultures, traditions, East versus West, religions etc. Good infrastructure, low criminality, people speak English. Excellent location, right in South East Asia, which is a part of the world that I truly love, and with lots of exciting destinations close by.

I do not have any family any more (parents dead: no contact with the rest-of-'em) so visits to Europe would not have to be too often. And there is enough "culture" (in my definition) in Malaysia and bookshops with English language books to keep me happy.

I'd go to Malaysia in a heartbeat if I could. But that is me... I am sure it would not be for "gringito" and many other people. There are a zillion very personal reasons for choosing where to live, so I guess a debate on this issue will only be... well, you know!
Voyager, since your heart seems to be in Malaysia (I left mine in San Francisco), why have you posted so much about the possibility of relocating to the DR? Please don't tell me it was the paucity of English language bookstores that put you off.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Victor Laszlo said:
Voyager, since your heart seems to be in Malaysia (I left mine in San Francisco), why have you posted so much about the possibility of relocating to the DR? Please don't tell me it was the paucity of English language bookstores that put you off.

Good question!

What is wrote here about Malaysia was based on a "free" comparison between that country and DR. I was merely hooking on to the questions by "easygoin".

However, the most important thing in the long run is the people you know, and not the country as such. So DR is still very attractive for me because of the people there.

Things like books can be taken care of in other ways. Also, reading books in Spanish will open up an entirely new world to me!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
"Gringito", I can only agree with you. Same for me and for my family as well.
There is love, and there is hate, there is lack of patience and then again there is understanding and finding something that attracts you.
There is the climate, the warm, friendly and sometimes annoying people, the natural way of living day by day..that freaks us out until we understand and get to know the Dominican people.. ( and that continues to make us surprised every now and then... )
I would not live somewhere else, this is home.. I love my work, I love my house, I enjoy my neighbours, I love the charm of Puerto Plata, my friends..
I think it is as simple as those of us who settle here, is because we have found this to be home in all senses possible.

And what makes you take the step to actually move here... maybe love at first sight.. with the country, the nature, the people, the still affordable way of daily living..

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Voyager said:

thanks for open reply ;)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The people did it for me!

easygoin said:

I've traveled all over the world and considering building a vacation home in many places throughout the Caribbean and Med. The main reason I selected the DR was because of the people. To me, the people of the Dominican Republic are the true hidden gems of the Caribbean.

Unfortunately, the more of us that move here the less unspoiled Dominicans exist!

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
gringito said:
Because it is the DR. To know it is to love it and to hate it but to always love it more. It isn't about the cheapest country to leave in it is about the most livable and the most lovable. If anyone can suggest a better country for you to live in, I will argue them into the ground.

Regards

thanks for your true heart. ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
carina said:
"Gringito", I can only agree with you. Same for me and for my family as well.
There is love, and there is hate, there is lack of patience and then again there is understanding and finding something that attracts you.
There is the climate, the warm, friendly and sometimes annoying people, the natural way of living day by day..that freaks us out until we understand and get to know the Dominican people.. ( and that continues to make us surprised every now and then... )
I would not live somewhere else, this is home.. I love my work, I love my house, I enjoy my neighbours, I love the charm of Puerto Plata, my friends..
I think it is as simple as those of us who settle here, is because we have found this to be home in all senses possible.

And what makes you take the step to actually move here... maybe love at first sight.. with the country, the nature, the people, the still affordable way of daily living..

i'm.. sooooo ready to meet nice people there. ;)

Poncho Villa

Mar 8, 2005
hmmmm

easygoin said:

I would have to say that all countries have thier plusses and minuses. For instance, I would much rather go to Hong Kong to party, Japan to party, Singapore to be steralized and Bonair or Truk to dive. Thailand, Bali or PI are my first choises for retirement, I am however opting for DR becouse of its physical proximety to the US, and for very few other reasons. Ohh yeah, and its land ownership laws. TA HELL WIT CR.

Poncho

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
easygoin said:
Now there are many other Third World countries that people can choose so why DR?

Basically I came here because my wife missed her family and hated NY. I was bored with the NY/US lifestyle, so here we are. It's expensive, it's hot, it hard to get around. But I do like the people. But, what's with your question? Did any posters decide to live in a third world country and then go down the list? "Sudan? No. Congo? No. Afganistan? No. DR? Hmmm, Maybe."

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Just listening

Thanks to everyone who replied again. ;) I really enjoy listening to so many people on this board whether it's this post or any other to gain knowledge for myself. And believe me I've learned a lot about the DR from people being gracious in their manners helping me along. Never been to the DR but I'm really looking forward to it, and the reason why is I love baseball. It started out wanting to see very good young athletes progressing and maybe make it to the big-time in the majors. Grew up in New York a Yankee fan had dinner with Thurman Munson when he was a guest speaker at our Little League championship that we won. Used to go to 30 Yankee games a year when I was young thanks to my father .....who pitched against Whitey Ford and beat him in the polar grounds. After my father coached and always told me that Hispanics play a very good game and very well coached . Now knowing nice people on this board I'm able to help out children loving baseball and knowing the needs of education for the country I can help make it a little bit better and I'm proud of that. And I'm sure after spending a small time there I will have a much better outlook why people choose to live there. ;) ;)

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Baseball!

easygoin said:
Thanks to everyone who replied again. ;) I really enjoy listening to so many people on this board whether it's this post or any other to gain knowledge for myself. And believe me I've learned a lot about the DR from people being gracious in their manners helping me along. Never been to the DR but I'm really looking forward to it, and the reason why is I love baseball. It started out wanting to see very good young athletes progressing and maybe make it to the big-time in the majors. Grew up in New York a Yankee fan had dinner with Thurman Munson when he was a guest speaker at our Little League championship that we won. Used to go to 30 Yankee games a year when I was young thanks to my father .....who pitched against Whitey Ford and beat him in the polar grounds. After my father coached and always told me that Hispanics play a very good game and very well coached . Now knowing nice people on this board I'm able to help out children loving baseball and knowing the needs of education for the country I can help make it a little bit better and I'm proud of that. And I'm sure after spending a small time there I will have a much better outlook why people choose to live there. ;) ;)

The baseball here is great! They have cheeleaders! Major League baseball has an office here and there are always a lot of scouts hanging around. You will really enjoy the people here and theeir spirit. Trust your instincts. The place has it's problems but it is what you make it.

Regards