Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
A couple of questions:
How do you pronounce Charamicos?
How do you pronounce Cabarete?

Do these words mean anything, or are they just names?

Bonus question:
What does El Batey mean? Babelfish translates it as "The Sugar refinery".
(Oh, and how is it pronounced?)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cha, like in cha cha cha
Ra, rolling the r
Mi, like saying "me" in English.
Cos, like the company Lycos

Ca, like caca
Ba, like bah bah black sheep
Re, like in red
Te, like tea in French

El, like "she" in French, elle
Ba, the sheep thing again,
Tey, like tea in French.

The emphasis is on the 1st and 3rd syllables.

Los Charamicos refers to the slats of wood the houses used to be built out of.
Now, most are made out of concrete block, but you still see a lot of houses in the countryside, built that way.

El Batey, loosely translated means the encampment, or outbuildings, as there used to be a lot of them around the area, for the workers from adjacent towns to live in during the week, while working for Producto Sosua.

Cabarete may just be an extension of cabaret, but that's just a guess.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Los Charamicos refers to the slats of wood the houses used to be built out of.
Now, most are made out of concrete block, but you still see a lot of houses in the countryside, built that way.

I understood that a "charamico" was a Christmas decoration made of dried branches in the form of a tree or animals.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jane J. said:
I understood that a "charamico" was a Christmas decoration made of dried branches in the form of a tree or animals.
Could be.
I'm just going by what they told me.
This coming from people who believe you can't go into the fridge, after ironing, as you will die right there on the spot.
So, who knows?
I have no official source

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I'm just going by what they told me.
This coming from people who believe you can't go into the fridge, after ironing, as you will die right there on the spot.

Dude. That's called "pasma." And they are my same sources, too! Primarily my father-in-law, who is nearly 90 years old. The older the source on things such as these, the better, I'd say.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks Rocky, your pronunciation guide is perfect for the Spanish-challenged. Whatever it means, I think Charamicos is a lovely word.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
May I, for form's sake, just remind that it's Los Charamicos in its proper appellation.

And, I think it's appropriate to vent here that, I don't like it when people refer to El Batey and Sosua synonymously, as is the tendency. Sos?a is both El Batey and Charamicos, and really, it's more Charamicos than El Batey. :mad:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jane J. said:
May I, for form's sake, just remind that it's Los Charamicos in its proper appellation.

And, I think it's appropriate to vent here that, I don't like it when people refer to El Batey and Sosua synonymously, as is the tendency. Sos?a is both El Batey and Charamicos, and really, it's more Charamicos than El Batey. :mad:
I believe it was made clear from the beginning that it was "Los Charamicos", although locals shorten it to "Charamicos".
Sosua is a lot more than El Batey and Los Charamicos.
What about Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Piedra, El Tablon, Villa Ana Maria, Playa Chiquita, Los Ceros, Los Castillos, La Mulata, Panaroma Village, Terramar, Sea Horse Ranch, Escondito Bay, El Choco, to name a few.
There must be at least 10 more.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
OK, I wasn't chastising anyone on this thread, I was only SAYING.

What about Sosua Abajo, Bella Vista, La Piedra, El Tablon, Villa Ana Maria, Playa Chiquita, Los Ceros, Los Castillos, La Mulata, Panaroma Village, Terramar, Sea Horse Ranch, Escondito Bay, El Choco, to name a few.

What about them? They are all part of the municipio de Sosua, although I don't know if I would classify residential projects as communities. What I dislike is the way people to refer Charamicos as an offshoot of "Sosua" when they mean to say El Batey.

Sorry for bringing it up, I thought we could talk on these boards about that sort of thing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's Hopeless Rocky! Yoy Always Have To Give Women The Last Word!

"No you Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"OK then, "No You Don'T!"

"Who Told You THAT?"

"A Woman!"

"She was wrong!"

"OK!"

I said she was wrong!"

"I heard you!"

"GOOD!"

Only Moderators get the "Last Word" on DR1

"THREAD CLOSED!"

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Ha ha.

:cry: "Ha Ha Ha!".......CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.